Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First thing to learn about golf

Go down 
+12
asahi
slinger
Duval_S
mizzy
S70B
mysticsea
DGman
alvin7379
pushslice
Newtogolf
Technospaz
weesern
16 posters
AuthorMessage
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

First thing to learn about golf Empty
PostSubject: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 5:34 pm

What do you think is the first thing that a person should learn about golf other than the terms or equipment?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 5:35 pm

From my perspective: keep your head down (or eye on the ball).
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Hmm.... Relax and enjoy the game and feel and not focus too much on technicalities?

Of course, the usual: Keep the head down.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 6:17 pm

In order of sequence: learn chipping, pitching, full iron swing, wood swing, driver swing, putting, etiquette, rules, play exec course, 9-hole course, 18 hole course, how to break 100, break 90, how to negotiate strokes, bet small stakes, shot shaping, break 85, bet big stakes, break 80, hitch a bunker babe, retire...
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Know where are the pretty caddies... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Bro, I think you're missing something. I'll help fill in the blanks.

pushslice wrote:
In order of sequence: learn chipping, ask for strokes, pitching, ask for strokes, full iron swing, ask for strokes, wood swing, ask for strokes, driver swing, ask for strokes, putting, ask for strokes, etiquette, ask for strokes, rules, ask for strokes, play exec course, ask for strokes, 9-hole course, ask for strokes, 18 hole course, ask for strokes, how to break 100, ask for strokes, break 90, ask for strokes, how to negotiate strokes, ask for strokes, bet small stakes, ask for strokes, shot shaping, ask for strokes, break 85, ask for strokes, bet big stakes, ask for strokes, break 80, ask for strokes, hitch a bunker babe, ask to be stroked, retire...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 pm

i personally think that golf should start from putting.

the greatest squash player that ever played the game, spent a year pushing the squash ball round the court. when he was taught how to hit the ball with a racquet, he was beating everyone because he knew how the ball will react when it hit the front wall.

so why putting. all the lessons you want to teach...

keep head down, keep hands soft, accelerate not decelerate, tempo and rhythm and many many more...its all there.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
mysticsea
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mysticsea

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 8:32 pm

proper gripping...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Etiquette.

Respect for the game.

Respect for the course.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm

weesern wrote:
What do you think is the first thing that a person should learn about golf other than the terms or equipment?

the rules?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:16 pm

When I am ready to really learn how to golf, I will learn first learn 2 lessons:

#1 ' ACCEPTANCE'.......no point forcing.....if std can only do bogey....then do bogey...leave to fight for par another hole.

#2 Good or bad game......SMILE and say thank you to flt mates for tolerating my std of play.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:44 pm

if u are playing golf with ZX for the 1st time, its important that u need to know....

1) cutthroat
2) sixers
3) vegas
4) auto-press
99) SADDAM
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:36 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Know where are the pretty caddies... What a Face

Or where the pretty golfers are. Beer
Back to top Go down
squirts
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
squirts

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:43 pm

when i started playing, i had no lessons, just followed whatever my dad did.
hit the ground a couple hundred times (maybe more) till i had blisters on almost every part of my hands and badly aching joints.
that put me off the game for a pretty long time.
decided to start again a couple months back and realised that the best shots i've hit so far
are the ones where i didn't force the club to smash the ball. plus i engaged the help of a pro. heh.

learning that a relaxed swing was essential to hitting it generally straight and resonably long was the most valuable lesson for myself so far. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:32 am

"Confidence"
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
goGoffy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 am

weesern wrote:

The swing and an appreciation of the sport.

The swing is because whatever clubs we use, if we understand the mechanics of the swing our body will adjust accordingly to the club we use.

An appreciation of the sport is because it is a competition against oneself to do better (for the social golfers), and one can enjoy the game more on the course.
Back to top Go down
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 am

To me, it'll be setup. Be natural and don't be bogged down by too many swing thoughts which will lead to 'not too tense'.

The latter is my biggest problem.

*I'm playing at 100, so reader beware Shocked
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:18 am

daveaha wrote:
"Confidence"

Indeed... It was an almost complete whitewash of the 2nd 9 yesterday. I bet you were very confident then Smile

But I agree with Duval. Accept... there are some limitations in the game and play within those limits. The more you try to be aggressive beyond those limits, the greater the chance of pain. I'm not saying don't take risks. Rather, learn to know when to take calculated risks.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:26 am

I would say the spirit of the game
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First thing to learn about golf   First thing to learn about golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First thing to learn about golf
Page 1 of 1