Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who is the first Asian to win a major?

Go down 
+4
Duval_S
mUAr_cHEe
S70B
supra
8 posters

Who is the first Asian to win a Major
Tiger Woods
Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_vote_lcap11%Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Vijay Singh
Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_vote_lcap11%Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Y.E. Yang
Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_vote_lcap78%Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_vote_rcap
 78% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
supra
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Who is the first Asian to win a major? Empty
PostSubject: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 am

Much has been said about Yang (1 recently) being the first Asian to win a major. Taylormade
Some of us contend that since Tiger's mother is Asian that qualifies him (14 majors) Nike Golf
Why shouldn't we claim that Vijay(3 majors) is the first Bhai to win it? Cleveland

This poll is significant because its from our Asian perspective. IMHO.
This poll might put to rest this Asian controversy currently being debated about.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 10:05 am

I tot this kind of threads oni exist on US forums like Golfwrx.

Well, do you think an Australian Born Chinese is Asian or not? If you do, then an Indian Fijian is lor, if not then no lor.

I tot the game of Golf shd transcend all race and political issues. So what if he is or isn't? Doesn't mean he gets more prize money right?

Its all just geography. Sometimes, I even forget Tiger is half Thai.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 am

Tiger Woods: Perfect Engineered Product

Strength and Built of a black dude with the mind of a Zen Thai Buddhist.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 10:16 am

But he's balding le....Just like MT.

God is fair la. Give him a hot Swedish wife but also give him an overdose of testosterone.
Back to top Go down
supra
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 10:31 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Tiger Woods: Perfect Engineered Product

Strength and Built of a black dude with the mind of a Zen Thai Buddhist.

I agree with you a 100%.

But how about a smart Asian dude or somebody very academic coupled with the likes of Williams sister.

Do you think we might get another engineered Tiger?
Or at least a Tigress? Either ways I think it might be possible. It will help if its Beyonce.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 12:16 pm

supra wrote:
It will help if its Beyonce.

Are you thai?

We might another clay aiken. small white guy with a powerful voice.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 12:37 pm

The question at least I ask myself is whether the 'Asian' is living, re-contributing or investing in Asia. there is no point that we have an 'Asian' but spent 99% of his / her time in US and then once a year or orce every 4 years ...represent to flag an t Asia country in an event. If like that...chiak lak..every chinese that win anything, China will claim a % of the win liao...
Conversely, I will be proud-er if we have an 'Alien' (aka origin outside of Asia) but re-invest or re-contribute back to Asia or country in Asia...that will really I think flag the country's flag.
So...nett nett....Tiger's win does not make me as an Asian any proud-er from country pride nor nationality perspective.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:41 pm

when they talk asian, they talk about genetics and how asians are less genetically gifted and thus surprising then they win a major (despite the fact that asians are dominating the womens game).

most ppl will attribute Tigers game to his father rather than his mother and totally ignoring the amount of practice he actually put in and the strict training his father placed for him.

Ben Hogan, regarded as the best ball striker is a notorious perfectionist.

genetically we know which race is the more athletic and genetically gifted....if only they can play golf everyday since young and have parents that can afford to coach them everyday since young, which decent equipment and facilities....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 2:21 pm

I have to say Yang. He's the only one who is better in his mother tongue than he is in English.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 7:14 pm

jialat then i not asian already.. haha
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 7:28 pm

ironfist wrote:
jialat then i not asian already.. haha

Same here. I'm a banana. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.
Back to top Go down
smails
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:08 pm

I say Yang. Pure Asian
Back to top Go down
supra
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 12:17 pm

tronos wrote:
when they talk asian, they talk about genetics and how asians are less genetically gifted and thus surprising then they win a major (despite the fact that asians are dominating the womens game).

most ppl will attribute Tigers game to his father rather than his mother and totally ignoring the amount of practice he actually put in and the strict training his father placed for him.

Ben Hogan, regarded as the best ball striker is a notorious perfectionist.

genetically we know which race is the more athletic and genetically gifted....if only they can play golf everyday since young and have parents that can afford to coach them everyday since young, which decent equipment and facilities....

Thats the crux of the matter.

Having read 'The Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell I realized that Tiger, Bill Gates and the Beatles have something in common. As a rule of thumb, all these outliers have more than 10K hours of 'practice' and thats why they are great, as usggested by tronos above.
Back to top Go down
supra
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 12:45 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
supra wrote:
It will help if its Beyonce.

Are you thai?

We might another clay aiken. small white guy with a powerful voice.

No, la. I'm not Thai. wa si hokkien lang.

My HK friend (5'8" ) has a 18yr old son out of wedlock with a Jamaican girl (church choir singer) in high school. Father is quite a good football player. The son, lanky and over 6' 3". is a gifted athletic, basketball player and top striker . He is brought up by his Chinese grandparents. Good thing he didn't turn out to be a William Hung.

Whenever we go to a Chinese restaurant or among some chinese it blew them away when we speak in Cantonese.
Back to top Go down
supra
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 1:35 am

Over 75% of members voted Yang.
Tho' this a small sampling its safe to say that Yang is deemed to be the first.
This is consistent with polling or opinions conducted elsewhere even in the West.
For one reason or another!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is the first Asian to win a major?   Who is the first Asian to win a major? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who is the first Asian to win a major?
Page 1 of 1