Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing golf grips - DIY

Go down 
+5
tronos
mUAr_cHEe
alvin7379
Duval_S
bodvista
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bodvista
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Changing golf grips - DIY Empty
PostSubject: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 8:26 am

Hi all,

newbie to the golf and this forum.

Has anyone tried changing golf grips on their own. tried a keyword search but couldnt find anyone sharing any DIY experience on changing grips.

thinking of getting golf grips online and fixing it my own... any thoughts?

or should i just bring the grips to a fitter and get charged for services?

or get everything done by fitter?

Thanks to all in advance

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 8:31 am

depends lah...if you hv the interest and time...definitely can try to do it yourself.

For me, I will prefer to leave it to the experts....I have enough of worries about my game to focus on trying to get my own grip fixed...sigh
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 8:44 am

I think I saw Golf Channel showing a short video on changing grips... looks simple but then again, these people change a hundred grips everyday, so no guarantee what will happen if you DIY.

Getting a club fitter to do is definitely alot better... you can add additional wraps under the grip to 'customized' the grip size to your preference. And the fitters usually have quite a good variety of grips allowing you to touch, feel and try, beats you trying your luck online when you can only see pictures

The only disadvantage of going to a fitter is... you would probably find out that you would need more than just the grip fixed! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 am

@bodvista it depends if you want the kick of changing the grip yourself or the convenience.

clubfitters already have the selection of grips for your choosing, labour cost is minimal. so why not?

if u are a really hands-on person and like to experiment, then have fun sourcing, messing around with the stuff, working it and trusting your own workmanship on the grips on your clubs. hope it does not screw up your game.

i am not being sarcastic. just laying down the facts as it is. some ppl actually get a kick out it.

just like me. i am figuring out how to make my own kite, rather than buying it.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:45 am

changing grips are for ppl who

- stay really far from a club fitter/golf shop
- changes his own shaft a lot = need new grip
- can get dirt cheap shafts / grips
- have a workplace / garage

really viable only in the US....

though about DIY once but too much effort and does not save much $$. Also change grips very infrequently and hard to find variety of cheap grips. ordering online + shipping cost not really worth it for a few grips
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 am

Sorry Tronos, I can't agree with the reasons you cited. I know at least 2 frens who changed grips for me and I was happy with the results. Not that there were cost savings but it is just fun for them to meddle with such things. BTW, I reckon it is actually easier to change shafts becos it is less messy, but this is just my perception.

Anyway, I would love to have someone share how to DIY on grip changing so that those who are keen to play around have something to venture into. I recall sometime back there was an interesting topic on removing/reapplying the paint from/to our irons. Tried that and found it quite fun.
Back to top Go down
bodvista
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 3:04 pm

thanks all for the valuable comments....

being a newbie, yes i agree with heading to a club fitter... less hassle, not much savings but quite "kick" though

btw, whoever is interested in DIY golf grips, there are tons of videos instructions out there

from golfpride --- http://www.golfpride.com/flash/VideoPlayer.swf?v=/video/regrippingtips/HowToRegrip.flv
Back to top Go down
bodvista
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
The only disadvantage of going to a fitter is... you would probably find out that you would need more than just the grip fixed! Laughing

hahaha... totally.. i thought golf forums would be cheaper than car forums..

everything also can mod Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm

there are a whole bunch of videos on youtube. Might want to use that for reference?..
Its quite simple. Even I can do it. ... =D
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Some points in DIY changing grip is
1) To have a stable work bench with clamp in a place with good air circulation.
2) Get the right double sided tape, the one that look like masking tape (industry grade), not those commonly used type.
3) Use the right solvent. Some solvent maybe hazardous. So be very careful and handle with care.

And enjoy it ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi bodvista,

Yes, I have been changing my own grips for quite a while now. Cutting up the old grip and installing new ones is very very very simple. Very Happy

All you need is:
- knife or scissors to cut old grip
- grip tape or any double-sided adhesive tape
- masking tape (if you like thicker grips)
- solvent (zippo lighter fluid works too!)
- shaft clamp (costs only a few dollars but optional)

You will not save that much money as the shipping cost of the grips are high. Neither is it practical to buy grips online and then get a clubmaker to install them as it will be more expensive than buying straight from them.

The reason why I install my own grips is because I am very particular how I like my grips. Sometimes when friends help me to buy and bring grips back from overseas, the savings can be good. Else the shipping cost almost negates the cheaper price of the grip.

While installing is very easy, do note that more "fanciful" grip work like saving grips, adding a rib or adjusting thickness at different parts of the grip is a little more challenging, and sometimes very dangerous too.

I know DGman has injured his shoulder while saving grips for customers. Others have lost their fingers when they accidentally injected grip solvent into their hands. Even very experienced clubmakers have accidentally cut their fingers when cutting grips. Crying or Very sad

There are also lesser known / practised methods of installing grips like using air or wd40, with and without adhesive tape. If you google, I think you will find much more detail than I can post here. Smile

Before you start, keep in mind your family members' safety. Certain brands of grip solvent are quite toxic and irritates skin and the airways when inhaled.

Thinking twice now? Razz
Back to top Go down
bodvista
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Thks for the insight... Time to head to a club fitter instead. Shall experiment this later
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 8:36 pm

just curious those that install their own grips, is it in a flat? And how to get the wife to agree to thd mess and smell.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 am

tronos wrote:
just curious those that install their own grips, is it in a flat? And how to get the wife to agree to thd mess and smell.
The wife has no say hahaha...... Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing golf grips - DIY   Changing golf grips - DIY I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing golf grips - DIY
Page 1 of 1