Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to break 100 or 90 the easy way

Go down 
+8
zhenxua
alvin7379
skybobo
tronos
pushslice
Slicer51
duffader
punkrockpga
12 posters
AuthorMessage
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

How to break 100 or 90 the easy way Empty
PostSubject: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Some great ideas and stories.

Lots of talk about how improving certain statistics, or technical aspects of the game will lower the scores. Some ideas about course management can improve the game and bring consistency. These things are all true and can be effective if you know how to implement them into your game.
However, my experience as a professional who has worked with hundreds and hundreds of golfers of all different abilities from raw beginners to world class amateurs and LPGA Tour players, tells me that a lot of the ideas are cliche, just like the magazine and Golf Channel tips that fill up the golf world. (no disrespect if you posted an idea)
Golfers are consumed with golf cliche, tips and fixes that just don't work.

Want to break 100?
Think about it from this angle. To shoot a score of 99 you need to finish the day @ 27 shots over the par for the course.
This would require nothing more than 9 bogeys and 9 double bogeys.
Before your round, take the time to select which 9 holes you will play for bogey and which 9 holes you will play for double. (It could be as simple as odd numberd holes and even numbered holes, front 9 back 9, or play the most difficult holes according to the handicap index for double)

Imagine you are faced with a par 5 where your game plan tells you that you only need double bogey to stay on track, all you have to do is try to get on the green in 5 shots and two putt. Plan accordingly and play the hole with 5 simple shot instead of facing the consequences of a failed attempt at heroics.

I find that a lot of golfers get stuck trying to play for par, and experience disaster while attempting unrealistic shots in persuit of par. BANG, double par and sometimes double digits.

Take the pressure off by giving yourself an extra shot or two and learn to take satisfaction in the fact that you had the discipline to stick to a game plan that simplifies shot selection.

I have had great feedback and success stories from my students who have adopted this mentality. All it takes is some pre round planning and the discipline to not stray from the plan.

Want to break 90? Just play for 18 bogeys with the same mentality. Quite likely you will have a 1 putt par here or there and find yourself in the 80's at the end of the day.

Would love to hear your thoughts or feedback from anyone who decides to try this.

Good Luck

Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Sorry about the repost but I think the topic got a little away from where I wanted it to go.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi Punkrockpga, that was the same mentality i had too when i broke 90. And i was lucky enough to play on a course that is par 71. Smile
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Great tip pro,

Knew about this is theory but putting it to the game is another matter (as far as I concern). I usually suffer a mental blocked when I started to think too much. Example, I arm to bogey every holes to get 90. Sound simple, if I can get birdies or par in par 3 or some other holes. I felt easy and mental is good but the moment I hit some double bogeys in some holes. I started to think, I need to some par to achieve 90 ... Then mental took over and %%#

Playing in a home course compare to new unfamiliar one is another issue. I might be in a tee box in an unfamiliar or 1st time playing course. Standing there and wondering where is the best spot I should drive my ball to (fairway, no doubt ,,, there were more to just fairway ). I am familiar with my home courses, that I keep data on which holes that I use to blow big. It remind me to be extra careful when come to these hole .. Surprising, some of these holes is not low index holes. I feel better and easy to achieve, is to force my shot one at a time.

Once again, what I am saying above is totally me ( maybe I just do not have the talent Embarassed ).

Thanks pro, I hope I able and try up your tip >>> Will try, Sir

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 3:59 pm

PunkRockPga,

thanks for the tip! I will try for my game in Poresia this Sat. Known for a place in need of good course mgt.

A game plan works if I can execute it with reasonable success. Many times I'd prepared a game plan on my Iphone, I took a peek before I tee off and then I looked at the resulting ball flight: my original plan just went out the window! Stretcher
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 4:06 pm

could a easy way be to ?

- tee off with hybrid
- use only 7 iron and below
- use the PW and SW only, not 3-4 wedge setup
- lag putting instead of trying to hole every hole

just based on personal experience

at least 10-15 penalty from the driver (OB, missing balls etc)
at least 5 shots wasted from 3 wood or long hybrid off a bad lie
at least 5 extra putts from trying to hole a fast putt
at least 3 extra chip from trying to backspin
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Bro Tronos, wah the total of your at least is at least 23 strokes leh
That is scary.

But pardon me for asking.
10 - 15 strokes from the driver in a single round is quite unlikely leh.
Excluding Par 3, u only have 14 holes that u will use driver.
Cannot be you OB every hole right?

If it is really so, I would have keep my driver much earlier liao Smile
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 4:34 pm

skybobo wrote:
That is scary.

unfortunately i am a driver slut,..... almost each bad tee off = 2 extra strokes
10 extra stroke is only 5 bad driver shots..

maybe i need a new driver 'cheers'

Last edited by tronos on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Brad,

I must say I agree and also disagree with your methodology.

I agree on the part where we do some planning and setting realistic target score for each hole. Reducing the anxiety to reach greens in regulation and playing within a player's means. It help enhances discipline of players from going for the impossible shot and end up with unnecessary busted holes.

I disagree because I believe this method may not be so effective, especially for the players trying to break 100. There are a thousand and one reasons why a person's score can go above 100 but I believe they all ultimately point to the same reason... players are unable to repeat a good decent swing, regardless it being a driver, FW, irons, wedges or putter. So not much help in setting a score target for each hole if a player slices all the time... or cannot hit out of bunker or always min 3-putt etc.

A method which I adopt which I find rather useful:
- Breaking down the score of each hole into 3 simple categories in a scorecard
- Driving accuracy, Strokes to Green & Number of Putts
- Identify which are the weak areas in your game from the high number of strokes
- Make extra notes on holes that you play badly (i.e. slice-OB, hook-water, bunker, 3 putt etc)
- Practice your weakest part of the game with a coach

Targeting specific areas in the game helps reduce score quite quickly and at the same time, the player understands and appreciates why. Then move on to the next weakest part repeat the training and so on.

Then again, this is just my personal experience and may varies with the many different players you encounter so far... just sharing my views, no offense.
Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 5:05 pm

tronos wrote:
skybobo wrote:
That is scary.

unfortunately i am a driver slut,..... almost each bad tee off = 2 extra strokes
10 extra stroke is only 5 bad driver shots..

maybe i need a new driver 'cheers'

Bro, ha ha I understand how you feel
I also like that
My driver keep slicing, so i put my ball way past my left feet
Then it keep hooking, so I aim way right of the target
Finally it went straight Smile
But pop up

ha ha end of the day, I keep it and give it a new driver cover
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 5:11 pm

as a seasoned beginner, I will just pitch my ball back to the fairway if my previous shot is erratic, this will prevent horrigible scores that could arise from attempted heroics
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 5:29 pm

zhenxua wrote:
as a seasoned beginner, I will just pitch my ball back to the fairway if my previous shot is erratic, this will prevent horrigible scores that could arise from attempted heroics

Your skill has increased!
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 5:47 pm

I am akin to thinking that golfers who can drive at least 220m or over and find the fairways consistently would most likely have, the ability with either a short or mid iron, or a higher chance to arrive at GIR. It won't be too difficult a feat for these group of golfers to break 100, 90 or even 80 for the short game gurus and thus this topic wouldn't be relevant to these group of golfers.
The opposite holds the truth for golfers struggling to have a decent tee shot and I have seen one too many times such golfers waiting for the flight infront to clear out before taking their second shots despite the fact that the distance to the green is even longer than their first tee shot with the driver. I have no clue on what rationales these golfers have in their minds and more often than not the second shots ended in disasters trying to go with long irons or metals. Errant shots like these are exactly the reasons that made up the big numbers. For these group of golfers, I think it would be better to leave the ego at home and adopt the bogey game mentality by attempting the 3-on-2-put basis rather than GIR. This will at least do away with the big numbers and hence a highly possible chance to break 100 or even 90 if there are couple of pars for par 3s & 5s.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:57 pm

zhenxua wrote:

This is so Duval! lol!

But seriously, when I am on thick rough, I know it us better to chip out but somehow, will end up trying a more ambitious shot at the flag. In this aspect, me lacking in course discipline. White Flag
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 pm

For me... Same concept just that I play to my handicap index.. I am now at 24.4 so I will calculate my course handicap and then depending on the index of the hole adjust accordingly.

And if i happened to do better than the stroke I am suppose to be given, then I have played to my handicap and thus on my way to reducing it. Playing this way I will not feel too pressurize to perform GIR. So far this has help me break 110 and now on my way next to break 100.
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 8:54 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Hi Brad,

I disagree because I believe this method may not be so effective, especially for the players trying to break 100. There are a thousand and one reasons why a person's score can go above 100 but I believe they all ultimately point to the same reason... players are unable to repeat a good decent swing, regardless it being a driver, FW, irons, wedges or putter. So not much help in setting a score target for each hole if a player slices all the time... or cannot hit out of bunker or always min 3-putt etc.

A method which I adopt which I find rather useful:
- Breaking down the score of each hole into 3 simple categories in a scorecard
- Driving accuracy, Strokes to Green & Number of Putts
- Identify which are the weak areas in your game from the high number of strokes
- Make extra notes on holes that you play badly (i.e. slice-OB, hook-water, bunker, 3 putt etc)
- Practice your weakest part of the game with a coach

Targeting specific areas in the game helps reduce score quite quickly and at the same time, the player understands and appreciates why. Then move on to the next weakest part repeat the training and so on.

Razz

There is no doubt that improved shot making can lower a golfers score. Find the weakness and work on it to improve your shotmaking ability. Something I certainly do with all of my students to help them improve their shot making. However, as a coach it is my job to help them understand that a fixed slice does not equal a lower score. It is also my job to teach them that a fixed slice is a whole lot more than just a square club face. Along with the square clubface has to come the mental focus, routine, and practice habits needed to be able to take it from the range to the golf course and execute without a bunch of swing thoughts that are usually the root of the flawed swing and the sliced shot in the first place.

My point is that the swing fix, or the improved short game requires productive practice, along with an understanding of the required mental focus in order to make it a fixture in someone's golf game.
Most golfers that I encounter (the golfers to whom the initial post was directed at) will admit that that don't have the time or they don't have the committment that it takes to turn the swing fix into a relyable part of their game.

A swing fix often goes away or turns into a different swing flaw.

I guess my point is that there is a difference between learning to swing the club better and learning to play the game better. I think that the second one take much less time and much less phisical ability, and can be completely consistent from day to day. A little bit of understanding and the discipline to stick to a game plan can have a profound effect.

That's all.

Thanks for reading my ramble!

Enjoy your long weekend!

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 10:07 pm

watchman88sg wrote:
I am akin to thinking that golfers who can drive at least 220m or over and find the fairways consistently would most likely have, the ability with either a short or mid iron, or a higher chance to arrive at GIR. It won't be too difficult a feat for these group of golfers to break 100, 90 or even 80 for the short game gurus and thus this topic wouldn't be relevant to these group of golfers.
The opposite holds the truth for golfers struggling to have a decent tee shot and I have seen one too many times such golfers waiting for the flight infront to clear out before taking their second shots despite the fact that the distance to the green is even longer than their first tee shot with the driver. I have no clue on what rationales these golfers have in their minds and more often than not the second shots ended in disasters trying to go with long irons or metals. Errant shots like these are exactly the reasons that made up the big numbers. For these group of golfers, I think it would be better to leave the ego at home and adopt the bogey game mentality by attempting the 3-on-2-put basis rather than GIR. This will at least do away with the big numbers and hence a highly possible chance to break 100 or even 90 if there are couple of pars for par 3s & 5s.

I hear you bro.. This is what you taught me too lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to break 100 or 90 the easy way   How to break 100 or 90 the easy way I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to break 100 or 90 the easy way
Page 1 of 1