Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What you can and cant use in a putting green?

Go down 
+3
blee67
X-Man
Khorkar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

What you can and cant use in a putting green? Empty
PostSubject: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 3:25 am

Anyone saw's Philly's shot in Fed ex qualifying? His shot landed on a putting green that have a pretty awful down slope putt. What does he do? He want to take the down slope out of play from the putt. He took out a wedge. He swung the wedge on a putting green! The intent was there but the execution couldn't make it.

Now, it make me wonder, what can a golfer use on a putting green? Is there any clear rules this? I was once told off that I couldn't use a wedge to putt. Now, I am not sure anymore.

Views?
Back to top Go down
X-Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
X-Man

PostSubject: Re: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 3:44 am

I think you can use any club in your bag in the green... just can't damage the green that's all
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 7:07 am

A couple of years ago, I think it was Ernie Els who broke his putter midway through a round and he was using a wedge to putt for the rest of the round.
Back to top Go down
tohkh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 8:14 am

Similar, no one will complain if you want to tee off using a putter.
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 10:39 am

can use umbrella to putt? just a crazy thought
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Anyone saw's Philly's shot in Fed ex qualifying? His shot landed on a putting green that have a pretty awful down slope putt. What does he do? He want to take the down slope out of play from the putt. He took out a wedge. He swung the wedge on a putting green! The intent was there but the execution couldn't make it.

Now, it make me wonder, what can a golfer use on a putting green? Is there any clear rules this? I was once told off that I couldn't use a wedge to putt. Now, I am not sure anymore.

Views?

There is no rule that says you must use a particular club in a particular situation.

You can chip on the green... (Pulai Springs used to have a bunker in the middle of the green you would have to chip over)... but if you do you had better be skilled and not take a divot or the greenkeeper will cut you! Very Happy

Often in The Open because of the husge green size players would chip, but they are Pro's and are skillful...

The best advise is don't chip.... putting however you can use any club...

As for the umbrella I guess so long as it does not make more than 14 clubs in play ... and it works.... Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks SH, glad to clarify this. I got a score to settle with the feller that told me off... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 2:33 am

taskie wrote:
can use umbrella to putt? just a crazy thought

umbrella is not allow as it does not conform to the design of club (appendix II I. Clubs - a: General) under the rule of golf Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What you can and cant use in a putting green?   What you can and cant use in a putting green? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What you can and cant use in a putting green?
Page 1 of 1