Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting mat

Go down 
+10
enwee
bryanachong
jeffman88
ahnah
idrahus
eiji
asahi
slinger
Duval_S
navik
14 posters
AuthorMessage
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Just had my first putting lesson over the weekend and now I know how "cocked-eye" I am. Was thinking of getting a putting mat to practice at home, but a short recce at Suntec today made me realized that the prices for putting mat varies quite a bit. ($90 -$43)

What are the better (best I can't afford) putting mats available in SG? I saw the putting mat at Lukewa, the texture seems quite good almost like those putting practice bay in Golfhouse, the $39 combo at Golf Direct is made of cheapo looking fluffy material which would probably start throwing up fur balls after awhile.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 9:29 pm

get the one fm golf house if tat is the case. I have the one which is similar and can change the hole position so as to help my alignment.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 9:38 pm

actually the best indoor mat i have putt on is a persian carpet runner......

i used it for the corrider, which doubles as a putting surface for me, very good roll, speed almost similiar to nsrcc greens.....

also wife dun complain about carpet as to a putting mat.....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 9:54 pm

slinger wrote:
actually the best indoor mat i have putt on is a persian carpet runner......

i used it for the corrider, which doubles as a putting surface for me, very good roll, speed almost similiar to nsrcc greens.....

also wife dun complain about carpet as to a putting mat.....

Hmm....can we all try? Razz
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi Duval_S, you mean the one selling at golf house can change hole position? From what I've seen doesn't seem to be the case, are they selling 2 different types?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:24 pm

whats your budget, depending on your answer, you can probably find DGman for a Tourlinks putting setup
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi eiji, saw the Tourlinks setup...well that is waaaay beyond my budget (but if I strike Toto the next time round, it might be a different story haha). Cheers
Back to top Go down
idrahus
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:36 am

Was walking at Cash Converter AMK and saw putting mat and chipping net. Bought the chipping net for $7. tot that it was a steal. you might want to check it out. Btw. tot that you can save cost by just using the carpet and get yourself a putting cup. Just my two cents worth.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 5:45 pm

I've checked out Cash Converter at Bedok, but there was no putting mat there. On the use of carpet, would it be close to the real thing? (pardon if its a super noob question)
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Digging out the old thread ... me looking for it .. any seller ?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 1:53 pm

i just ordered a mat from boomerang
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:15 pm

navik wrote:
I've checked out Cash Converter at Bedok, but there was no putting mat there. On the use of carpet, would it be close to the real thing? (pardon if its a super noob question)

the real thing is also very subjective -species of grass, when it was last cut, wats the wetness or dryness of the green, which direction the blades are pointing etc....

i reckon any mat whether persian carpet, low pile carpet, 3M mat all will do and give u some surface to practice as conditions on the green, fast or slow, changes with the weather on a v regular basis
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Thinking of getting one too , please share if any good prices up for grab!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 3:46 pm

GD one no good?
Back to top Go down
slep3er
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
slep3er

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Think you guys can try getting from Golftoys. I got mine from there Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm

I like the ones from golf and leisure at fesc. About 50-60 I think
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:20 pm

i saw some at Bob's Golf clearance for $59 each.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Putting mat Putting-mat-incline

i find the problem w many of the commercial putting practice mats with the incline (for ball return) rather artificial as most greens are never inclined as such to the cup/ pin. My simple solution is to customise a thick pc of 3M rubber car mat (say 4m x 1m) with a 11cm diameter hole at one end and allow the thickness of the mat to catch the ball when putting....
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

slep3er wrote:

Golftoys must self collect then cheaper
Back to top Go down
slep3er
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
slep3er

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 pm

ahnah wrote:
slep3er wrote:

Golftoys must self collect then cheaper

True. But i think you can arrange with the seller to collect at places outside of woodlands. I collected mine from him in ang mo kio. Alternatively can try Bob's golf like what Bro Simoner said. They are currently in the process of moving out from their rangoon road shop, thus they are actually selling off stuff at much cheaper prices than normal(have to haggle with them though). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 pm

I don't think the putting mat is intended for teaching strength control ... hence the incline (as compared to a real green) is not really relevant. It is more likely designed as an aid to improve direction control ... practising with mat help develops a stroke that goes where you aim at (or down the middle of the white line)

For distance control, there is no substitute from going to the real course or practice green and working things out there

However, to each his own, I know many experienced golfers disdain putting mats, but I really like them.

Setting it at at home and making a few strokes every night is a nice relaxing way to unwind.

Unfortunately, my new place is a lot smaller than my old one, so no space to lay out a putting mat. and I have noticed that my putting is noticeably worse as a result.

Anyways, choose a mat that you are happy with, even if it costs slightly more, if possible, take it out of the box and try it out. Much better to buy something u will use instead of something that will sit around gathering dust or find itself as a WTS item in our marketplace.

Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 pm

I have an old putting mat, which Wilkang gave me, and I am giving it away.

PM me to arrange collection.

Have since switched to Boomerang putting mat.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:10 pm

What's a boomerang putting mat? it returns your ball after a successful putt?
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Putting mat Boom_250The Boomerang putting system is the answer to improving your putting. The Boomerang is a kinetic putting training aid that requires no AC power or batteries, yet provides hours of addictive putting practice. Shave strokes off your score with the Boomerang!

Features:
•Kinetic Ball Returner
•Addictive Matchplay Game
•8ft Carnoustie Putting Mat (Stimpmeter 11.5, USGA: Fast) includes Free Instructional VCD
•Fully Adjustable - length, break & distance -Silent, gravity operated mechanism
•Compact & Portable The Boomerang gives you Tour quality practice and simulates incredible pressure at home, the office, the club or anywhere you might be.
•Contains a Boomerang, an instructional VCD, an 8ft Carnoustie putting surface and a money back guarantee

Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 4:07 am

jeffman88 wrote:
Putting mat Boom_250The Boomerang putting system is the answer to improving your putting. The Boomerang is a kinetic putting training aid that requires no AC power or batteries, yet provides hours of addictive putting practice. Shave strokes off your score with the Boomerang!

Features:
•Kinetic Ball Returner
•Addictive Matchplay Game
•8ft Carnoustie Putting Mat (Stimpmeter 11.5, USGA: Fast) includes Free Instructional VCD
•Fully Adjustable - length, break & distance -Silent, gravity operated mechanism
•Compact & Portable The Boomerang gives you Tour quality practice and simulates incredible pressure at home, the office, the club or anywhere you might be.
•Contains a Boomerang, an instructional VCD, an 8ft Carnoustie putting surface and a money back guarantee

Sounds very good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Putting mat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting mat   Putting mat I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting mat
Page 1 of 1