Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

59 Is The New 30

Go down 
+5
Kopi Towkay
Technospaz
ironfist
Lamts18
freedrop
9 posters
AuthorMessage
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 4:38 pm

59 Is the New 30
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN (New York Times Journalist, 3-time Pulitzer Prize winner)

Last April I took a break to caddy for the former U.S. Open champion Andy North when he teamed up with Tom Watson to defend their title in the two-man Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf tournament in Savannah, Ga. So it was with more than a casual spectator’s interest that I watched in awe on Armed Forces television from Afghanistan as Watson made his amazing run at winning the British Open at age 59. Watson likes to talk about foreign affairs more than golf. So to let him know just how many people wanted him to win, I e-mailed him before the final round: “Even the Taliban are rooting for you.”

Indeed, I have been struck at how many golfers and non-golfers got caught up in Watson’s historic performance — tying for the lead after four rounds at Turnberry, but losing in a playoff to the 36-year-old Stewart Cink. I was not alone in being devastated that Watson was not able to par the last hole and clinch the win. Like millions of others, I shouted at the TV as his ball ran across the 18th green — heading for trouble — “STOP! STOP! STOP!” as if I personally had something at stake. Why was that?

Many reasons. For starters, Watson’s run was freaky unusual — a 59-year-old man who had played his opening two rounds in this tournament with a 16-year-old Italian amateur — was able to best the greatest golfers in the world at least a decade after anyone would have dreamt it possible. Watching this happen actually widened our sense of what any of us is capable of. That is, when Kobe Bryant scores 70 points, we are in awe. When Tiger Woods wins by 15 strokes, we are in awe. But when a man our own age and size whips the world’s best — who are half his age — we identify.

Of course, Watson has unique golfing skills, but if you are a baby boomer you could not help but look at him and say something you would never say about Tiger or Kobe: “He’s my age; he’s my build; he’s my height; and he even had his hip replaced like me. If he can do that, maybe I can do something like that, too.”

Neil Oxman, Watson’s caddy, who is a top Democratic political consultant in his real life, told me: “After Thursday’s round with Tom, when we left the scoring tent I said to him, ‘You know, this is a thing.’ He understood what I meant. On Sunday morning, the two of us were in the corner of the locker room without another human being around, sitting in these two easy chairs facing each other behind a partition. We were chatting about stuff, and I said to him, ‘For a lot of people, what you’re doing is life-affirming.’ I took it from a story about when Betty Comden and Adolph Green — the writers of “Singin’ in the Rain” — showed Leonard Bernstein the famous scene of Gene Kelly. Bernstein said to them, ‘That scene is an affirmation of life.’ What Tom did last week was an affirmation of life.”

Also, as Watson himself appreciates, the way he lost the tournament underscored why golf is the sport most like life. He hit two perfect shots on the 18th hole in the final round, and the second one bounced just a little too hard and ran through the green, leaving him a difficult chip back, which he was unable to get up and down. Had his ball stopped a foot shorter, he would have had an easy two-putt and a win.

That’s the point. Baseball, basketball and football are played on flat surfaces designed to give true bounces. Golf is played on an uneven terrain designed to surprise. Good and bad bounces are built into the essence of the game. And the reason golf is so much like life is that the game — like life — is all about how you react to those good and bad bounces. Do you blame your caddy? Do you cheat? Do you throw your clubs? Or do you accept it all with dignity and grace and move on, as Watson always has. Hence the saying: Play one round of golf with someone and you will learn everything you need to know about his character.

Golf is all about individual character. The ball is fixed. No one throws it to you. You initiate the swing, and you alone have to live with the results. There are no teammates to blame or commiserate with. Also, pro golfers, unlike baseball, football or basketball players, have no fixed salaries. They eat what they kill. If they score well, they make money. If they don’t, they don’t make money. I wonder what the average N.B.A. player’s free-throw shooting percentage would be if he had to make free throws to get paid the way golfers have to make three-foot putts?

This wonderful but cruel game never stops testing or teaching you. “The only comment I can make,” Watson told me after, “is one that the immortal Bobby Jones related: ‘One learns from defeat, not from victory.’ I may never have the chance again to beat the kids, but I took one thing from the last hole: hitting both the tee shot and the approach shots exactly the way I meant to wasn’t good enough. ... I had to finish.”

So Tom Watson got a brutal lesson in golf that he’ll never forget, but he gave us all an incredible lesson in possibilities — one we’ll never forget.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Good to read, freedrop... thanks for posting and nice meeting you at Kukup.. Cheers
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 4:42 pm

wow.. great article. i'm utterly inspired now. thanks! Smile

and Bobby Jones made another comment;
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears."
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Great post, freedrop!
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 6:48 pm

Wraps it all up in one nice article.

Thanks for posting Freedrop.

BTW, great nick.

Cheers, KT
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks for sharing !

Beer
Back to top Go down
BT
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BT

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Excellent article. I always enjoy Friedman's writings.
Back to top Go down
Sooty
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 am

Thank you freedrop for posting up such a wonderful topic on golf. I am sorry to inform you that our 3 day golf trip to Pahang has to be postponed again. Daniel Tan will be away to Perth to golf with his kakis for a week from 21.8.09 to 28.8.09. Hope to golf with you soon.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:52 am

no problem. We will do before the monsoon comes. I am still full in my calendar, will be in Shenzhen for 3 days golf Sept 7-10 with my HK friends. Following week in Cebu with a Singaporean "quitter" who live there many years now. He likes the golf there, and I think he married a beautiful caddie who don't argue with him on anything.

Anyone going these places can join my group.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Cebu

Me dream of retiring in Angeles City or Pattaya!

Dun think the Mrs would allow tho.

Sad

CK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

59 Is The New 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 59 Is The New 30   59 Is The New 30 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

59 Is The New 30
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Tour Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.