Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marking of ball

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Marking of ball Empty
PostSubject: Marking of ball   Marking of ball I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Read the Golf digest magazine and noted the article about this junior gal who won a junior title. The funny thing was she won because another girl was penalized for marking the ball wrong....many times...!!!

so what is the rule leh?

I typically just put my coin behind...and sometimes, slightly behind the ball...(ie not just behind). Is this ok?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Marking of ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marking of ball   Marking of ball I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 12:01 am

If I am not mistaken, just directly behind bro. Then when replace, also directly behind. If you mark with a visible gap, then who's to say that when you replace the ball, you didn't move it one cm nearer to avoid something on the green that would have thrown your ball off?

Best to leave no room for argument.

On a slightly different scenario but still on marking, many do not know the right way to mark away when the ball is in someone's line.

Most just take the putter and put it to the side of the ball out of the other player's line, then place the marker next to the end of the putterhead. Incorrect.

The ball should be marked first in the conventional manner, then the putterhead positioned beside and pointing in line with a tree or object off the green, then the marker moved from it's position at the rear of the putter head to the front end. Reverse the process to place the ball back on the green.

A very common mistake made when marking away.
Back to top Go down
Moonfruit
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Moonfruit

Marking of ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marking of ball   Marking of ball I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 12:10 am

Must admit, I always try to steal an inch when replacing the ball in front of the marker!
Back to top Go down
zalik22
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Marking of ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marking of ball   Marking of ball I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Walk up to your golf ball and place a coin or ball marker directly behind it. Supposedly, you get a 2-stroke penalty. I wonder what they were doing to blatantly get disqualified.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marking of ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marking of ball   Marking of ball I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marking of ball
Page 1 of 1