Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ya Ballz!

Go down 
+12
BT
pug
4dtoto
siaw8
Lamts18
weich
mUAr_cHEe
watermyforrest
Technospaz
who8168
SC
Dstruc
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

What balls do you use?
TaylorMade
Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 9 ]
Srixon
Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap11%Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 8 ]
NIKE
 11% [ 8 ]
Bridgestone
Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap10%Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 7 ]
Titleist
Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap22%Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 16 ]
Callaway
Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap8%Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 6 ]
Pinnacle
Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1%Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Maxfli / Noodle
 11% [ 8 ]
TopFlite
Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap4%Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 3 ]
Precept
Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap8%Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 72

AuthorMessage
BT
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BT

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:30 pm

This is how I did my search.

There are so many different balls out there so narrowing down choices so you can try just a few different balls instead of 20 types could save u lots of time (and money).

So what you need to do is find a ball with a compression rating most suited to your swing speed.

As a rough guide, golfers with higher swing speeds such as 90 or 100 mph swings should be using 90 or 100 compression balls.

Golfers whose swing speeds are between 75 and 95 mph should be using 90 compression balls.

80 and below compression balls are generally reserved for those with swing speeds between 40 and 80 mph.

To find balls that are within your supposed compression range, you can go to:

http://www.golfballtest.org//wp-content/themes/blixed/pdf/PerformanceCertifiedBallList112408GBSv2.08.pdf

This is just a start, ultimately it depends which one gives you the best feel and confidence.

I started out with Tour Specials, then Srixon Soft Feels, ProV1s, went to ProV1xs, TM Burner TPs and then now on NXTs.

Theoratically I should be using TM Burner TPs, but I like how NXTs feel when putting.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 pm

Great link, BT. Thanks. What happens if my swingspeed is higher than the compression, e.g. 95 mph SS with 80 compression?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Great link, BT. Thanks. What happens if my swingspeed is higher than the compression, e.g. 95 mph SS with 80 compression?

The general belief is that you won't get max distance bcos the ball already compressed to its max, and there is energy wasted. But I think no need to worry too much lah; its not like one strikes the ball perfect everytime or the compression numbers are perfect. Shocked

Several years back, the precept Lady ball was a very popular ball. The average golfer found that he gained extra distance with these "low compression balls" while still retaining a soft feel. Supposedly Precept then came up with the Laddie ball so that the men would buy and use them without the stigma of playing a "ladies golf ball" Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

The general belief is that you won't get max distance bcos the ball already compressed to its max, and there is energy wasted. But I think no need to worry too much lah; its not like one strikes the ball perfect everytime or the compression numbers are perfect. Shocked

Several years back, the precept Lady ball was a very popular ball. The average golfer found that he gained extra distance with these "low compression balls" while still retaining a soft feel. Supposedly Precept then came up with the Laddie ball so that the men would buy and use them without the stigma of playing a "ladies golf ball" Smile

Thanks, SS. That makes sense.
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 pm

So, the swing speed, are we referring to iron wing speed or driver swing speed ??
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:45 pm

should be driver swing speed
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 10:57 pm

4dtoto wrote:
So, the swing speed, are we referring to iron wing speed or driver swing speed ??

driver la, if iron swingspeed at 90mph, walau...........
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:07 am

My fav brands have a few, srixion, titleist, callaway, precept and Nike. But i am retired man so only used preown balls, anythings from 40cents to a dollar max, i would keep stock about 20 to 50 at one time.

Use new balls like Srixion A333, Precept and Nike One Black for tournaments only.

Havre voted already

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 am

BT wrote:
This is how I did my search.

There are so many different balls out there so narrowing down choices so you can try just a few different balls instead of 20 types could save u lots of time (and money).

So what you need to do is find a ball with a compression rating most suited to your swing speed.

As a rough guide, golfers with higher swing speeds such as 90 or 100 mph swings should be using 90 or 100 compression balls.

Golfers whose swing speeds are between 75 and 95 mph should be using 90 compression balls.

80 and below compression balls are generally reserved for those with swing speeds between 40 and 80 mph.

To find balls that are within your supposed compression range, you can go to:

http://www.golfballtest.org//wp-content/themes/blixed/pdf/PerformanceCertifiedBallList112408GBSv2.08.pdf

This is just a start, ultimately it depends which one gives you the best feel and confidence.

I started out with Tour Specials, then Srixon Soft Feels, ProV1s, went to ProV1xs, TM Burner TPs and then now on NXTs.

Theoratically I should be using TM Burner TPs, but I like how NXTs feel when putting.

cool... thanks for sharing.
I'm kinda stuck between the soft and harder balls.
Hard balls do give me extra distance, but when attacking the green(pitch/chip), I will prefer the soft ones.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 7:34 am

slinger wrote:
4dtoto wrote:

driver la, if iron swingspeed at 90mph, walau...........

Err.. I think there are quite a few GR forumers who have > 90mph for 5i leh.. (me excluded lah)... 8)

But, yes the swingspeed referred to is for Driver, if not they'd mention the specific iron...
Back to top Go down
BT
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BT

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 am

Technospaz wrote:

Like SS said, theoratically you will be limiting your distance cause of energy wasted in deforming the ball.

However, compression and swing speed are not the only factors. Swing speed is taken as driver swing speed.

Basic parabolic flight
If a golf ball didn't have any dimples and we neglect any other aerodynamic effects such as drag and wind, then the trajectory calculation is really very simple.

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Parabo10

For any given time (t) the distance traveled (x component) is

x(t) = (Vo cosm)t
and the height (y component) at any given time (t) is

y(t) = (Vo sinm)) - (gt²)/2
where Vo = initial velocity of ball

g = gravitational acceleration 9.8 m/s/s

m = the launch angle in radians

All simple stuff but unfortunately - for me that is - a golf ball's trajectory is not that simple and thus not that simple to calculate.

First off we've got that Magnus effect (lift on a spinning dimpled ball) to apply. In my system I have used the following formula to estimate the Magnus lift force :

FL = (dvr4 av 2di²)(2r)
where d = density of air at 60° = 2.37 * 10-³

v = velocity

r = ball radius

av = angular velocity in radians per second (if you have spin, n, in rpm, them av = (2pi n)/60

An adapted version of the same formula is also used to determine the force on the x plane (left/right direction) which causes the ball to curve. The vertical and horizontal spin rates of the ball are calculated from the incoming data feed from the sensor mat in the system.

Then we have the wind force and air drag to deal with which acts on all of the 3 dimensions of the flight (x,y,z) whereby

x is the left/right direction/deviation of the ball flight

y is the height

and z the distance traveled ahead

The drag force can be written as:

Fd = -Cdv

Fd = -Cdvx -Cdvy -Cdvz

where Cd is the drag coefficient, v is the velocity of the ball (vx,vy,vz are its components) and the minus sign means that this drag force opposes the ball's motion.

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Truefl10

The side view of the trajectory will then look something like this.

Terminal velocity

Due to air resistance a falling golf ball will not continue on accelerating at the rate of 9.8 meters / per second / per second. It will eventually reach a maximum falling velocity dictated by its mass and area. This velocity is known as Terminal Velocity and in the case of a golf ball with a radius of 2.1 cm, an area of 14cm² and a mass of 46 grams, this will be 32 meters per second or 72 mph.

After pasting all that, I have no idea what it means. Anyone is a physics PhD?
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:12 am

You lost me at Hello...
Back to top Go down
BT
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BT

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:19 am

watermyforrest wrote:
You lost me at Hello...

I lost myself at Hello.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ya Ballz! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ya Ballz!   Ya Ballz! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ya Ballz!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Golf Equipment-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.