Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Positioning the club face for different irons

Go down 
+10
samT
FIdO
Winston
Slicer51
currahee
weesern
and68low
Duval_S
duffader
icorpion
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
icorpion
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Positioning the club face for different irons Empty
PostSubject: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Dear Gurus,
Recently i started to change my club face position during address and seems to hit more soft spot than usual, but when i saw the a golf magazine, it seems to tell me otherwise. Can Senior advice if there is any website that will show how to position your club face for different iron in a clear picture at address?
Many thanks
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Why bother about what the magazine tells you?
they dun create champion and everybody is different. So stick with what works for you... just my 2 cts.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Long long time ago, I heard of this VVIP person who is a pretty VVIP ranking official from china

He said something like this ' Don care black cat or white cat, if can catch mouse then its a good cat '.

With that in mind, my 1.5 cents will be to take your current shots and stress tests them on actual game, and 'if catch mouse' ......then good shot lor
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 10:57 pm

well said!!!!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 11:10 pm

wat u mean by clubface position??
Back to top Go down
icorpion
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 11:18 pm

weesern wrote:
wat u mean by clubface position??
What i wanted to know is how the club face be position against the ball during address? I guess the logic of black or white cat do make sense but i just want to be sure i am doing it right.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 11:22 pm

as in more to heel/toe?? or open or close face?
Back to top Go down
icorpion
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 11:32 pm

weesern wrote:
as in more to heel/toe?? or open or close face?
Yes, yes and also the ball position. I search a few website but couldn't find a good picture illustration.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 7:52 am

I have seen scratch golfers who place their club around 2 inch behind the ball on address but still take good divots and at the same time shaping the ball like how they want it.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 9:36 am

The question u post will depend on what type of ball flight u want to hit, all have different ball positioning! The other aspect and most important, are your hands that grip the club correlate to the club face at impact area to hit the desire type of shot?

I am not clear of what you really want to know, for you have not specified the types of shots and the soft spot you referring, i guess, its called "SWEET SPOT" and hitting the sweet spot does not = straight shot also! but it will definately "get it UP"(the ball I meant).

If you are a novice, just go for the conventional method first, square to square to the intended target. Concentrate on GETTING IT UP !
Back to top Go down
currahee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 10:44 am

i saw an article that states that to get the ball up, u might want to keep the ball closer to the back foot (right for RH) instead of in the mid of boht feet...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 10:54 am

currahee wrote:
i saw an article that states that to get the ball up, u might want to keep the ball closer to the back foot (right for RH) instead of in the mid of boht feet...

The article is definitely wrong.... watch golf channel.. i think the real time demonstration speaks better.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 11:15 am

currahee wrote:

I need to agreed with duffader. Ball position forward right feet (right hand player), ball come out LOW. Ball toward middle or left feet, ball come out high ( it does sound logic when you look at the club loft during the impact at different ball position ... I think the article your read is miss-leading bro.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 1:27 pm

My advice is to go see a pro or get at least 2-3 lessons. That way you have someone who can see / corect what is wrong.
Back to top Go down
FIdO
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 5:24 pm

yup. go see a pro. you'll get to know the problems in your set up or swing.
Back to top Go down
icorpion
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 7:56 pm

thanks you very much for all bros to provide vaiuable inputs. Can someone PM me, a recommended Pro and fee expected to pay for this correction, and by the way, i am just a PC obtained just 2 mths back, started golf last September, so a bit newbie.
Yesterday went to MBG to practise and accidentally hit one ball cross the other lane, although the ball did not hit the guy, that guy starred at me even i apologized. Quite disappointed with the whole espisode. Anyway that guy shot also not very fantastic.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:14 pm

Get used to it! the starred and not the shanked! BTW dont blame that guy for the starred no body like to be hit or have a near miss by a ball( stray ball can hurt golfer very badly) though it is an accidental shot without malice!

May I clarify with you on your the last sentence "Quite disappointed with the whole episode. anyway that guy shot also not very fantastic"
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:35 pm

I am with you on this andrew regarding the statement.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:40 pm

He's got the right to be pissed. I'm sure u dun like it if the ball hits your butt and end up can't shit for days. Be sincerely apologetic and move on and learn from our mistakes
Back to top Go down
icorpion
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 pm

and68low wrote:
Get used to it! the starred and not the shanked! BTW dont blame that guy for the starred no body like to be hit or have a near miss by a ball( stray ball can hurt golfer very badly) though it is an accidental shot without malice!

May I clarify with you on your the last sentence "Quite disappointed with the whole episode. anyway that guy shot also not very fantastic"

Oh, i meant that this guy ball also cross the other lane once.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Ok, what i gather from your reply is, if a mistake have been made and apology had been duly offer, just move on, dont be disappointed and push the ball back to his court and say his shot also not fantastic. Why i said that, is if you ever being call up to a disciplinary comm. for a explaination of golf infringement, the worst thing to say is to put part blame onto the other party as a mitigation factor.

Just a friendly advice ya.... since you are new to golf!
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Long long time ago, I heard of this VVIP person who is a pretty VVIP ranking official from china

He said something like this ' Don care black cat or white cat, if can catch mouse then its a good cat '.

With that in mind, my 1.5 cents will be to take your current shots and stress tests them on actual game, and 'if catch mouse' ......then good shot lor

True lah...Or is it?
Actually, wanted to post something to ask for advice but I think i'd rather do it in person.
Something to do with the way I hold my club.

Friend said it looks 'weird'.
And I gather maybe that's the cause for the strain on my left palm.
One of the veins connected to the fourth finger is protruding as a result.
Not kidding. And it's hurting. Went see sinseh but no recover yet.

Anyway, upon advised by friend... I corrected the way I hold my club... and for the rest of the evening.... I couldn't hit a good shot!!!
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Actually you can tell alot by the "pain" or "peelings" in your hands. If you do it right, you should not even have any. It could be as simple as gripping the club too tight, or as serious as you are gripping it completely wrong to start with. Get a coach to sort out these things before you do more harm to yourself. There is also a book I find to be extremely useful for beginners - Ben Hogan's 5 fundamental of golf (something like that). One of the best I read so far, actually I still refer to it once in a while.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 10:03 pm

My guess is you have been holding the club(butt end) far too inside of your left hand pad probably half inch inside. So just change , with the butt prutuding outside half inch, and you will be able to control better and will not hurt or injured your palm.

I am just guessing with the limited info given, that could be your problem, because i could not see your current grip.
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 10:17 pm

golfjoy wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

True lah...Or is it?
Actually, wanted to post something to ask for advice but I think i'd rather do it in person.
Something to do with the way I hold my club.

Friend said it looks 'weird'.
And I gather maybe that's the cause for the strain on my left palm.
One of the veins connected to the fourth finger is protruding as a result.
Not kidding. And it's hurting. Went see sinseh but no recover yet.

Anyway, upon advised by friend... I corrected the way I hold my club... and for the rest of the evening.... I couldn't hit a good shot!!!

I guess as newbies like us we tend to listen to anything and everything. But check back with your coach whom you paid $$ to teach you the correct stuff. What works for one may not work for you.

Your injury better get it well rested and treated. Else long term DMG will be worse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Positioning the club face for different irons   Positioning the club face for different irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Positioning the club face for different irons
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next