Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine

Go down 
+11
slinger
Technospaz
trebloc
Cyp_PGA
golfbeginner
sunny
FIdO
wilkang
weesern
missmoon
nientsu
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine Empty
PostSubject: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey Guys and Gals

For so long I am not able to find a workout routine for golf. I finally found ti thru an Iphone app.

This workout routine is tailored for golf conditioning and strengthening. One thing u will notice is there is a lot of exercises for legs and back. Its seems to me that strongs legs nad back is much more crucial in golf than strong arms. Something i din realised until i wrote this thread.

For all exercises: 12 Reps; 3 Sets, and 60sec rest in between sets
Load : it says in the routine as challenging. But I think something comfortable for you would be good enough

1. Legs : Back Squat
2. Back : Wide Grip pull down
3. Legs : Side Lunges
4. Back : Standing Close Row
5. Legs : Hip Abductors
6. Shoulders : Shrugs
7. Abs : Bicycle Crunch
8. Triceps : Cable Pushdown
9. Lower Back : Y Extension
10. Abs : Torso Rotation

I tried this routine, and I must say that its NOT EASY. If you dont know what the exercises are, just google it. It will show you how its done.

Oh yes....this is applicable for you boys and gals. Gals: all you need to do is take a weight that is manageable for you.
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 2:45 pm

do 10 different exercises in one session.. somemore 3 sets of 12 reps..
NOT easy lor..
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Cam tale lighter weights, but adhere to the 60sec rest. Like tat u will also burn calories Smile
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:15 pm

this is quite normal for a session
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:15 pm

missmoon wrote:
do 10 different exercises in one session.. somemore 3 sets of 12 reps..
NOT easy lor..

It's all about discipline.

But once you can go thru it 2 - 3 times...following sessions will be a breeze. Smile
Back to top Go down
FIdO
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:18 pm

you could reduce the reps but increase the weights...this will help you gain more muscle power instead of muscle toning. and of course burn even more calories....(have been doing most of the listed routines above in my weekly gym training...it does help). Cheers!
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 pm

nientsu...

From 1-10 exercise routine, there is no chest.. not balanced aahhhh

1. Legs : Back Squat
2. Back : Wide Grip pull down
3. Legs : Side Lunges
4. Back : Standing Close Row
5. Legs : Hip Abductors
6. Shoulders : Shrugs
7. Abs : Bicycle Crunch
8. Triceps : Cable Pushdown
9. Lower Back : Y Extension
10. Abs : Torso Rotation
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Can add in a cable crossover, which works on your shoulders, back and chest.

Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 4:01 pm

disclaimer, i am not a fitness professional and this is entirely my personal view.

This is actually a very lousy workout routine.

Back squats without any proper hamstring exercises suchs as deadlifts/glute-ham raise is going to give you inbalances on your legs. Most people are already weak in posterior chains and this would result in shortening of hamstring muscles which makes groin injuries and posterior chain cramps(calfs and hamstrings) frequent.

Back, standing cable row is effectively a rhomboids muscle trainer and also a lats muscles. It does not do anything to your errectors. Those are the muscles you want to keep strong to have a healthy back for golf, posture and long run.

The above two can be avoided by adding deadlifs to the routine.

GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine Deadlift1

Hips abductor exercises are the worse kind of exercise. Unless you are michael schumacher doing a comeback exercise routine and need the speed to change from brakes to accelerator fast, you never need to do these exercises. If you are able to do one legged exercises, such as one legged squats, presses or do lunges, your abductors should be happy and healthy. Those abductor machines are build to delude ladies that they can rid fats on their hips and inner thighs and they spent countless hours on it without any results. Quit it.

Abs, torso rotation are kind of passe and useless. So are crunches. The primary purpose of abs are to act as stabilisers and to raise our lower body. Cruches has minimum effect and you will end up tightening your other groin muscles instead and make you more prone to groin and back injuries. A good way to work your abs is to do bridges or leg raises.

GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine Abs_bridge_301x153

Cable push down is more or less an triceps isolation exercise and doesn't seems to work all the 3 heads of the triceps well. You need load to activate all the muscle groups. A bench press/dumbbell press is better. Cable cross over is one of the most common source of overuse exercise injury for pro body builder. Bench press or other compound exercises help more.

Shrugs? Why do you want to have big neck? It is not really needed for golf too.

If you do deadlifts, your traps will be big enough. In fact you want to do more lower trap exercises to balance it.

Go google lower trapezius exercises.

All in all, balance and flexibility is the key. You do not want to overly emphasize some muscles and create inbalances and stiffness.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Hey bro

Wats wud you recommend to tweak this routine??

Am looking for a routine that focuses on conditioning. Too much golf for me gives me injuries :-(
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Sunny you know quite alot abt exercises and anatomy... u tried body building before??

Your point on bridges and leg raises. These are exercises that will work as well. One point to note is that other than isometric exercises, hip flexors will always come into play... crunches will actually minimise it compared to a normal IPPT sit up.

It is good to mix isometric, concentric and eccentric exercises.

Like you said, do compound exercises... small muscles get their exercise as well.
Back to top Go down
golfbeginner
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfbeginner

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 4:21 pm

seems like what i do in the gym "BodyPump:!!!
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 4:48 pm

weesern wrote:
Sunny you know quite alot abt exercises and anatomy... u tried body building before??

Your point on bridges and leg raises. These are exercises that will work as well. One point to note is that other than isometric exercises, hip flexors will always come into play... crunches will actually minimise it compared to a normal IPPT sit up.

It is good to mix isometric, concentric and eccentric exercises.

Like you said, do compound exercises... small muscles get their exercise as well.

hi weesern, isometric, concentric and eccentric are good ways to train muscles. According to research, there are limited cross over strength. Eg, you can be very strong in isometric but if you are asked to push a weight(concentric), you may actually not have the strength to do so.

That is why training are often movement specifics. And to train movements, you need to mimic the movements. The reason why I do not advocate cruches are that there are few real life movement that require you to do crunches type of movement. Your abs muscles are normally in isometric as stabilisers, or in movement that are similar to leg raises(kicking, bending down and up etc).

Crunches do take out some of the hip flexors but it is still bad for the back and anyway, doing a lot of cruches wouldn't really give you a slim stomach or 6 piece contrary to beliefs. Whether or not you have 6 piece pack is a consequence of your total body fats(abs muscles can be seen if you carry less than 10%) and not a result of the number of crunches.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 pm

thats the reason why I said a mix is good. Mimicking the actual movement is the best way but will coz imbalance.

Our body are very efficient and learn movements very well. If you mix it up, you will improve more.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 am

If I have the time to train properly, I will include speed training like compensory acceleration techniques, power clean, snatches etc. Golf is all about speed and control.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 5:46 am

Mate Every Exercice Should be 20 , 3 repitition and just less than 10 sec rest ... because u can rest the same time as u doing your exercice ... or the exercce is useless .... i tell u that later i send you my gym program .... my instructor give me ...

but u should aternate 1 day fitness like running and one day strengthen your muscle ....
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:28 am

Nientsu

Good routine for conditioning and not showy body building

3 sessions per week

Day one push focus

One set 12 reps one legged squats on each leg. If you cannot do this exercise, use the wall etc to support. Train balance and strength plus warm up.

One set back squat x 12 reps

One set front squat x12 reps( change to hack squat alternate week)

One set bench press x 15 reps warm up(50%)

One set bench press x 12 reps warm up(70%)

One set bench press x 12 reps

One set narrow bench press x 8 reps

One set single arm dumbbell press on each hand

One set pull up x as many reps possible. Do 2 sets if you can manage 6 or less. If you cannot do pull up, use pull down machines.

One set Standing military press x 12 reps

One set dumbbell row on each hand x 12 reps

Isometric squat for 3 min(with comfortable dumbbells)

Bridge x 5 min

2 sets Calf raise x 8 reps

Dumbbell external rotation x 2 sets for each hand ( shoulder savers)
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 am

Day 2 pull focus

One set dead lift x 15 reps warm up
One set dead lift x 12 reps warm up

One set dead lift x 10 reps
One set dead lift x 8 reps
One set stiff legged deadlier x 8 reps

One set dumbbell row on each hand x 10 reps

One set bar bell row x 10 reps

One set seated cable row x 12 reps

One set incline bench press x 12 reps

One set wide grip incline bench x 10 reps

One set dumbbell incline press x 12 reps

3 sets of pull ups pull down

One set dumbbell curls x 12 reps

One set reverse dumbbell curls x 12 reps

One set back extension x 12 reps

One set pull over x 10 reps

One set x dips for as many reps possible

One set leg hanging leg raise for as many reps possible
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:49 am

Day 3 speed and endurance focus

One set squat, bench press and deadlier at 50% load as warm up.

8 x 1 rep of power clean with as much weight as possible.

8 x snatches with as much weight possible

One set of jump squats with 60% load

2x Smith machine bench press with 60% load x 12 reps. Push as fast ad possible to throw the weight up and catch it. Do not lock joints.

Farmer walk x 3 minutes

Breathing front squats x 20 reps

Walking lunges x 12 each legs

3 x Pull ups/pull down x as many reps

2 x external rotation on each hand

One set of abdominal roll x 20 reps

2 x calf raise x 10 reps
1 x seated calf raise x 25 reps
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 9:10 am

power slean and snatch are very good exercises... rep can lower somemore... 6-8 will be good... other than walking, your swing only takes abt 1.2 sec depending on tempo... this includes back swing.... improve your strength rather than endurance is better for the swing itself.

Having said tat, it comes as a whole package... so cannot totally ignore the endurance part.

It looks like Sunny's workout will be more effective than Cyp... by looking at what they are trying to achieve
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Any workout routine is only gd for 3 mths. Our body is incredibly gd at adaptation and minimizing gains.

3 mths is good. Do an unloading week of no training to let your cns recover. Reassess your results and prioritize or deprioritise certain exercises to maintain balance
Back to top Go down
trebloc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 1:12 am

when doing bridges, do you recommend adding extra weight on your back or prolonging the time under tension? or both??
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:44 am

Right now, I'm running to build stamina (on RJCC, this is a MUST-HAVE). I'm also working on waist exercises to give me more flexibility (doh!) and to build up coil-power.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 am

i heard sleeping can build stamina.....true or false??
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:50 am

slinger wrote:
i heard sleeping can build stamina.....true or false??

If that was the case, I'd have enough stamina to run to Belgium and back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine   GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GYM Rats : Golf Workout Routine
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next