Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to hit Irons from a tee

Go down 
+13
tronos
watchman88sg
riverdeity
jurongtiger
ghoonk
Duval_S
eiji
watermyforrest
CoastGuy
slinger
S70B
nrafee
sandkie
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:45 pm

If teeing up for iron shots dun work for you, then dun.
Back to top Go down
riverdeity
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
riverdeity

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:55 pm

@watchman
so basically we sorta try to hit through first with irons and move on to the follow through?

@turbo
cheers! i shall to try it out at the range tonight:D. Gonna be quite tough for me, my body is rather stiff during a swing and changing parts of my swing takes ages to learn. sigh

@derek
I mean i just want to have a proper swing and contact. Though now I can hit every club straight and far, i know my swing is far from perfect and i just want to improve my technique. haha
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:04 pm

[quote="riverdeity"]@watchman
so basically we sorta try to hit through first with irons and move on to the follow through?

Exactly but the follow through process is a natural one which need not to be insinuated. There should also be no pauses in the whole process. Like I say, get on plane is the foremost importance in hitting good shots. Be sure that your club head does not travel 'inside' your hands during the takeaway process.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 8:12 pm

[quote="watchman88sg"]
riverdeity wrote:
@watchman

Exactly but the follow through process is a natural one which need not to be insinuated. There should also be no pauses in the whole process. Like I say, get on plane is the foremost importance in hitting good shots. Be sure that your club head does not travel 'inside' your hands during the takeaway process.

Hi Watchman,

Nice talking to u over the phone the other day. It appear you have depth on golf knowledge. May I know what the reason for hitting flat (grounded) shots ? Thx. Smile
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 8:21 pm

[quote="Slicer51"]
watchman88sg wrote:
riverdeity wrote:
@watchman

Hi Watchman,

Nice talking to u over the phone the other day. It appear you have depth on golf knowledge. May I know what the reason for hitting flat (grounded) shots ? Thx. Smile

Hi St, reasons can be aplenty but predominantly will be such as whether or not your spine angle is straight / consistent throughout your swing and whether or not you are 'scooping' instead of hitting down, just my humble 2 cents tho...
Back to top Go down
riverdeity
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
riverdeity

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:59 am

watchman88sg wrote:
riverdeity wrote:
I position my ball for wedges and 9,8 in the middle and probably just 1 ball size left for 6 and 7 irons. is that the right position??

-->2:
That actually makes sense, have been told time and time again that my wrist should be more flexy and not soo stiff

Positioning of the ball along the stance varies from one golfer to another. A golfer blessed with very 'strong' or 'fast' hip may have to play the ball more upfront and vice-versa for the opposite. There is no fixed rules on where everyone golfers should position their ball accordingly to the number on what the club says. Henceforth the 'right' ball position is determined by individual golfers through trial and error leading to what gives your the best result.

Correct swing plane also plays an important part in ensuring good ball striking. 99 percent of casual golfers do not swing the club on plane and that's when many complications will derive from. Swing along 'the line of direction' will help you to possibly be on plane and the rests will take care of itself.

Awesome advice! tried it at range last night, worked very well for all of my irons except my 4 iron. Has also smoothened out my swing alot and made it less stiff. Smile
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 am

Awesome advice! tried it at range last night, worked very well for all of my irons except my 4 iron. Has also smoothened out my swing alot and made it less stiff. Smile[/quote]

Hi, I am glad it worked for you. Be patient bro, a lil more practice and your 4 iron will also boom. I suspect the flaw in your 4 iron shot may be due to mental weakness (who doesn't if the club gets progressively longer). It will still be the same swing except that your stance may become a lil more upright due to the length of the shaft. No bigger effort is needed, trust your own swing and always swing on 'the line of direction' to stay on plane.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 12:30 pm

watchman88sg wrote:

Positioning of the ball along the stance varies from one golfer to another. A golfer blessed with very 'strong' or 'fast' hip may have to play the ball more upfront and vice-versa for the opposite. There is no fixed rules on where everyone golfers should position their ball accordingly to the number on what the club ....

Although all clubs have different in length but I was also taught that there were off set on different clubs in different brand too. My ball position was base on the off set of the clubs with my grip pointing my left leg.

Thanks for the advise on fat shots. I also understanding another reason is because the body " going to sleep " mid swing. For some reason, the shoulder and torso don't move properly. It may be a fault that we have drifted into over a long period of time, and it may not always be evident. But when it happen, maybe toward the end of a round when we are starting to feel a bit tired, it makes it very difficult for our hands and arms to deliver our club cleanly to the back of the ball, or indeed release it freely through to the target.

When this happens a fat shot is the most likely outcome, although golfers will occasionally hit shot "thin" too... my 2 cents .. Smile
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Although all clubs have different in length but I was also taught that there were off set on different clubs in different brand too. My ball position was base on the off set of the clubs with my grip pointing my left leg.

Thanks for the advise on fat shots. I also understanding another reason is because the body " going to sleep " mid swing. For some reason, the shoulder and torso don't move properly. It may be a fault that we have drifted into over a long period of time, and it may not always be evident. But when it happen, maybe toward the end of a round when we are starting to feel a bit tired, it makes it very difficult for our hands and arms to deliver our club cleanly to the back of the ball, or indeed release it freely through to the target.

When this happens a fat shot is the most likely outcome, although golfers will occasionally hit shot "thin" too... my 2 cents .. Smile [/quote]

Hi ST, next Tues PM at Graha or Citra ai mai ?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 1:17 pm

watchman88sg wrote:

Hi ST, next Tues PM at Graha or Citra ai mai ?

Hi De,

Tue in Ciputra ? I will reconfirm on Monday, ok ? I have a tournament in Finna in coming Sunday. Will call. Thx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to hit Irons from a tee
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2