Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cut putter shaft

Go down 
+6
Gray
golf_snowman
oned10t
Duval_S
rangereye
skybobo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi all, I'm relatively short by Asian standard, prob around 1.65m.
As such, most of the putter which are of standrd 34 inch does not suit me.
I'm currently using a TM itbsy spider ladies version at 32 inch.

I'm hoping to change to oddessy black series the blade model....but i think they only have 34 inch.
Is it ok to cut the putter shaft to 32 or even 31, will it affect anything?

Thanks for helping
Back to top Go down
rangereye
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
rangereye

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 5:21 pm

think there is a previous discussion somewhere in this forum..

main thing imo is can cut.. yes, you will reduce the overall weight of the putter but unless u are ultra sensitive on the feel, you would most prob either not notice the difference or will be able to get used to the lighter weight quickly... esp so for putter.. if not used to the lighter weight, then add back the weight...
Back to top Go down
http://www.wizgolf.com.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I actually admitted my ping anser to BFG for a major surgery.....the surgeon operated on the shaft and the attached a new grip.......

Maybe its just me...but my anser felt great.......according to him, he said 'never felt better'....(PS: if you see him, don tell him, that he is 2inch shorter)
Back to top Go down
oned10t
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
oned10t

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 pm

i also just got mine shorten last weekend, haven't got the chance to use it yet so don't know the FEELING yet
will feedback........... Cool
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Will shortening the shaft reduce the weight?
If yes how to put it back?
I like a heavy putter so I dun have to work so hard
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 am

skybobo wrote:
Will shortening the shaft reduce the weight?
If yes how to put it back?
I like a heavy putter so I dun have to work so hard

hi skybobo

if you shorten the shaft, the swing weight will change, meaning you will not feel as much weight of the putter head as compare to the longer shaft...

if you would like to maintain the same feel of the weight, just let the clubfitter know and they are able to help you...basically, they add more weight to the putter head.

Hope that helps

snowman
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 am

I cut mine before. From 33" to 32" cos I am 1.65m too.

But I did it for cheap TM putter.

For my scotty, I dare not cut. haha.

Hmmm. actually, as long as you are comfortable, you can just cut and get used to the weight.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 5:07 pm

just cut my putter 1 inch at OCC, but cannot tahan got the gripmaster brown grip. feel so much better, but it may be the soft leather grip....... forgot o ask if i can use my car leather conditioner to condition the grip...

Anyway the advantages from from being able to get into a comfortable stance (to be able to make a smooth stoke) from the length change far outweigh the effects of any weight change.

Infact the lighter weight feels better, much test at the course to see if it improves my putting (cannot get any worst anyway Sad )
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 12:06 am

Skybobo, the Odyssey Black Series Blade does come in 33 inches which I tried out myself. The 33 and 34 inches are both 350 grams in head weight and the 35 inches is at 340 grams. So no change in headweight between the 33 and 34 inches. Great putter that's well balanced with a nice click at impact. I'm not too partial to insert putters, prefer more of a traditional metal to ball feel. I've been lusting after it myself. But be aware there are two versions of the blade. No. 1 and No. 2. The differences are in the shape of the tungsten weight on the rear. I personally prefer the No. 2 cos the shape is more unified to me. Panwest was clearing out the earlier generation one series (silver coloured) for about $270 late last year, which was a great deal. Just had to find one in good condition. You can try your luck by calling Panwest to see if they still have any in stock, which I doubt. But then again, you might get lucky. : )

Golf Snowman is pretty much on the nose with what he mentioned. I've cut my putter by an inch to 33 inches, and had the lie adjusted, and I putt so much better now. The putter feels more stable during the swing and through impact. I didn't feel any drop in putter headweight / swingweight, which like Golf Snowman said, can be adjusted by the clubfitter.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is if cutting the shaft changes the shaft's properties, as in stiffening the shaft. I didn't seem to feel any discernable difference myself losing an inch. Again, a clubfitter would be the expert.

Your other alternative is to get a new putter shaft cut to your measurements to ensure everything is according to specs. Might not be such a bad idea since you are thinking of spending serious dough on a Black Series already.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 12:23 am

can go for black tour (no insert) abt $580
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

hmm what if you grip down on the putter grip? what are the bad things that can happen because of that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cut putter shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cut putter shaft   Cut putter shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cut putter shaft
Page 1 of 1