Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

planning to go for handicap test, need advise

Go down 
+6
gezt_ho
charlestanbl
HH
Duval_S
alvin7379
golf_snowman
10 posters
AuthorMessage
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

planning to go for handicap test, need advise Empty
PostSubject: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:08 pm

hi all

i'm planning to go for handicap test in the next 2 month, would need some advise from you

1. Scorecard submission

I understand that we need to submit 5x18 hole scorecard or 10x9 hole scorecard as part of the requirement. Do i need to get these scorecard ready prior to handicap test ? Does SGA actually check the date of the scorecard ?

2. Clubs that maintain the handicap test

So far, which local club offer a cheaper option for maintaining the handicap ?
the more popular one which i always heard of is MGK...but beside MGK, any other option ?

3. CR

is it always a 9 hole CR ? what is the minimum requirement, i mean no of stroke, to pass the CR ?

All advise are welcome

thank you

snowman
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:23 pm

I think you will need to shoot a 4 under in your CR to get the H'cap... tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:31 pm

tip.....swing hard ...look up...

on a serious-er note:
1. After you pass...then you need to submit and the scores are all updated on the SGA site for all to see....meaning if you smoke, others can see smoke...hahahaha

2. Try SSG

3. for me, its 9 hole.....all the while I am of the view that it is so because of my limited ability.....
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:38 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
I think you will need to shoot a 4 under in your CR to get the H'cap... tongue

bro,

4 under is how many stroke ar ?..keke..32 ?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:41 pm

Duval_S wrote:
tip.....swing hard ...look up...

on a serious-er note:
1. After you pass...then you need to submit and the scores are all updated on the SGA site for all to see....meaning if you smoke, others can see smoke...hahahaha

2. Try SSG

3. for me, its 9 hole.....all the while I am of the view that it is so because of my limited ability.....

hi bro

for the scorecard, let say, if i already have 5x18 hole scorecard with me before i took the test, can i submit these scorecards if let say i pass my test ?

SSG need any recommendation ? can you advise me on the charges ?

thank you
Back to top Go down
HH
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
HH

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi golf snowman,
don't worry, the hc test is mostly easy to pass.
and u don't have to shoot a 4 under. that is pro standard.
9 hole is about 36 strokes or par 36, below 52 or 53 ok.
anyway, most hc test don't do the full 9 holes as it is a Courtesy Round.
Hope this boosts your confidence!
Back to top Go down
charlestanbl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi,

I do agree with HH, 52 or 53 will be ok. Btw, Submission 5x18 hole score card from any course will do. I don't think they so free to check 1 by 1. But I do heard they might need yr receipt of play. but all rumors. Nvr heard anyone got any problem.
Back to top Go down
gezt_ho
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 3:09 pm

http://singaporegolfers.org/index.html

SSG CR held at NSRCC Par 3.
The next workshop will be on 22 May 2010.
If I'm not mistaken, the cost will be around $230.
Hope this will help you to consider.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:03 pm

hi all

thank you so much for the advise...

may i ask the following :

for SSG, how much is the membership fee ?
do they have like monthly game that require member to play ?
do they have like online update for scorecard ?
to join SSG, need any recommendation from member ?

beside SSG, any other clubs that i can consider ?

thanks
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:17 pm

AAA if you already a member for your car ownership. Much cheaper than MGK. They have good deals for Keppel and Sembawang.

http://www.aas.com.sg/index.php?show=content&showview=9&val=64#

otherwise, MGK lah bro, we play OCC & MBGC combo.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:19 pm

pushslice wrote:
AAA if you already a member for your car ownership. Much cheaper than MGK. They have good deals for Keppel and Sembawang.

http://www.aas.com.sg/index.php?show=content&showview=9&val=64#

otherwise, MGK lah bro, we play OCC & MBGC combo.

haha...bro

me not AAA member...MGK seems pretty popular here..but i'm not Union memebr, need to join the Union for a fee, i guess

MGK is in my list for the time being, just wanna explore other possibility...keke

snowman
Back to top Go down
puteh83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
puteh83

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm

don't worry abt the test. my frd got his hcp with only 1 hole played in batam. super kelong.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi Snow Man,

I got MGK to maintain my handicap although I am also a member at NSRCC. Basically, it is faster and more convenient.

Please note that you will also have to go for a Rules of Golf workshop and take an MCQ test before your handicap. If I recall correctly, you might need a valid PC to register for the handicap test, but please verify that. The MCQ test is easy to pass, the instructor will check answers with the whole class before asking you to submit your sheet. Location is at Marina Bay.

As for the Courtesy round, we played a full 9 holes at Marina (I played back 9 but it changes). What they generally look out for is pretty basic, nobody expects you to play like a pro, just be able to launch the ball, repair your divots, and remember to shout FORE if you hit a bad shot.

Speed of play is important, so don't freeze over the ball too much. My advice is to tee off with a club you are confident with that is easy to launch (maybe 5 wood or 3 or 5 hybrid) and play with irons that you know you can strike well, even if the distance is not too great. e.g. Instead of a 5 iron that you might duff half the time, take an 8 iron and pitch the remaining distance. No one is expecting you to hit the greens in regulation. Another thing you might want to try is taking a 3/4 backswing with a full follow through ... overswinging the club is 1 of the biggest problems most of us beginners have and you will be surprised how far a 3/4 backswing can go with a smooth swing and clean contact.

End of the day, they are more interested to assess if you will delay play unnecessarily and whether you are safety conscious rather than if you are the next Tiger Woods. For MGK, I am not sure if they actually have a number that you must shoot under.

What will really help you pass the test is a decent short game (pitching, chipping and putting) which is easier to acquire in your 2 month timeline. Just remember for the short game, you have to practice AND make sure you see the club pass through where the ball is before looking up. Take the time to practice putting at the putting green of the course you will play your courtesy round at, having a feel for the speed of the greens and good distance control will do wonders for your confidence on that day.

The whole process for me was really fast, from registering to playing the courtesy round was about 3 weeks, including the rules workshop.

As for the scorecards, I joined MGK and submitted online, did not need to produce any evidence, however, since most of the scores were from Marina, it was easy for them to check if they needed. My friend submitted scores from courses in Malaysia, no problem.

Final note, if you do have to play at Marina, borrow a 60 wedge and practice bunker shots ... or if you have not got the hang of it in 2 months, ask the examining pro if you can take a penalty drop from the bunker as you are still learning how to play that shot.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:41 pm

hi derek

could you advise me on the cost for joining MGK ? assuming i'm not an union member and have to take into consideration the cost for joining the union as well

thanks

snowman
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi Snowman,

MGK is 160 a year I think. As for NTUC, I recall it is 12 a month. If you buy groceries at NTUC, the rebates cover the cost ....
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi, Snowmen

Just be a good boy during the courtesy round.
- repair divots, so bring your sands always
- repair ball marks at green is a bonus
- always rake sands
- dun cheat ... i know you won't
- if you want to take mulligan, ask the pro first.. otherwise he might think you cheat the score
- if you lost your ball ask the pro whether he wants you to go back cos the rule actually says so but usually we don't do that to avoid slow play..

basically just be a safe player
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 pm

taskie wrote:
Hi, Snowmen

Just be a good boy during the courtesy round.
- repair divots, so bring your sands always
- repair ball marks at green is a bonus
- always rake sands
- dun cheat ... i know you won't
- if you want to take mulligan, ask the pro first.. otherwise he might think you cheat the score
- if you lost your ball ask the pro whether he wants you to go back cos the rule actually says so but usually we don't do that to avoid slow play..

basically just be a safe player

haha... Yes sir, I will do my best to be a good boy... Keke

thanks for the advise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: planning to go for handicap test, need advise   planning to go for handicap test, need advise I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

planning to go for handicap test, need advise
Page 1 of 1