Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)

Go down 
+12
4dtoto
JonL_TK
birthstone
rangereye
weesern
eden
ParTee
maryet
pushslice
Birdman
ChrisD
morganoh
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) Empty
PostSubject: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 12:23 am

I wanted to buy a set of Ping Irons,
Can anyone pls advice me should I buy new G15 4-PW at $1160 (so that to bennefit from the fitting)

or save money and

buy Used Rapture Irons 4-PW at $630 (and can I still get abit of fitting ? maybe bending of Lie angle?)
If yes how much will I be charge for Lie Angle bending?

Pls Advice

Thanks
Morgan Oh
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 12:33 am

Bro,

Ping irons are not forged and don't find them fantastic.
Tried and tested and IMO they are worth the price you pay for.
Would rather you spend on Taylor made clubs like tour burner, etc... And get a fitter
to fit you. Will normally cost $5 to 10 an iron.
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 12:55 am

ChrisD wrote:
Bro,

Ping irons are not forged and don't find them fantastic.
Tried and tested and IMO they are worth the price you pay for.
Would rather you spend on Taylor made clubs like tour burner, etc... And get a fitter
to fit you. Will normally cost $5 to 10 an iron.

I'm currently playing a Yamaha Forged iron,
just tested the G15 and i15, quite good for a cast irons, I think the vibration damper does work

So I decided to buy Ping and try , but buy new or used????
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:04 am

Bro, make more sense to buy used la....

You can go to the PiNG website and get yourself fitted for length and lie very easily. Their system is very easy to measure yourself and is colour coded.
Once you know your specs, then go shop for your second hand Rapture set with your specs in hand. You save so much more.

http://www.ping.com/fitting/default.aspx

Last edited by Birdman on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:09 am

bro Morgan

Ping are cast irons. They cant be bent without risking damage. You have to know your color code first and buy any new/used set with matching color code.

you can book an appointment for launch monitor fitting with Ping. No commitment to purchase, explain that you are considering to by Ping and would like to know your specs. The free GOLF tabloid has a list of places where you can do it. I suggest do it with Ping Studio (Win Golf) or at Bob's Golf. Even at Urban Fairways.

You'll be able to hit G15, I15 and the Rapture V2. Armed with your color code, shaft flex and your own club head preference, you may decide to buy brand new or 2nd hand sets, but by all means....always test before you buy Wink

last note: our recommendations are very subjective coz our preference/what we look for in a club, may not be the same as yours.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 am

Morgan, I may be wrong, but I recall that even though PING clubs are cast, they can be bent. If you look at the heel area where the hosel joins with the head, there is a notch. This notch is to facilitate lie adjustment. I have tried to verify this but can't seem to find the answer even on their site, which is strange. Best to speak to a clubfitter and they will tell you whether the Raptures can be bent for lie.

In any case, I found someone saying that he does bend PING clubs on a daily basis. Recommended to do so or not, I can't say. Here's the link.

http://forum.golfsmith.com/view.php?bn=gsif_clubrepairs&key=1268593054&last=1268654339&site=gsif
Back to top Go down
maryet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 7:37 am

I am a 16 handicapper, playing Ping G10 irons (3 to P), and I was fitted at Toa Payoh range on a demo day last June where they used the Ping inflight simulator. I thought since I am changing irons, and I don't do this often, I might as well as fitted. Initially, I wanted to get 5 - P, but after trying the 3 and 4 irons, decided to buy the whole set. Having played for almost 9 months with these irons, I am sure these are the best irons for my game. I am glad I went thru the fitting process. Yes, they are cast irons, thick top line, wide sole, offset, not a pretty sight but man, once you are dialled in, the irons are very accurate. I have never played with 3 or 4 irons ever, but now, I am using these i/o hybrids. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
ParTee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ParTee

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 am

maryet wrote:
I am a 16 handicapper, playing Ping G10 irons (3 to P), and I was fitted at Toa Payoh range on a demo day last June where they used the Ping inflight simulator. I thought since I am changing irons, and I don't do this often, I might as well as fitted. Initially, I wanted to get 5 - P, but after trying the 3 and 4 irons, decided to buy the whole set. Having played for almost 9 months with these irons, I am sure these are the best irons for my game. I am glad I went thru the fitting process. Yes, they are cast irons, thick top line, wide sole, offset, not a pretty sight but man, once you are dialled in, the irons are very accurate. I have never played with 3 or 4 irons ever, but now, I am using these i/o hybrids. Hope this helps.

Hi Bro Maryet,

You are using steel or graphite shaft?
Their stock steel shaft is their own
Ping AWT..dun know how are they
compare with the likes of TTDG,NSPRO
and KBS shaft?
I wonder how is the present G15 as
compared to G10..I guess they are just
as good if not they will not be given
the Gold Award in Golf Diigest's Game
Improvement Irons category.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Morgan,
I had two sets of Ping, i3 and rapture and they are easy to hit and launch.
The main thing with Ping IMO is the fitting process.
So if you are able to get whichever set (New or Used) fitted then go for it.

If I remember from one of the fitter, you can just about bend the angle to whichever required. The color paintfill (code) would only be filled in after the head has been adjusted by the fitter.

I would suggest that you give a few Authorised PING fitters a call to check how much they charge for adjustments.

You can try (better to call before you head down):
GOLF WORKS MASTERS PTE LTD
Telephone: 90073333
Blik 333 Kreta Ayer Road #02-24
Singapore 080333

Thanks for the belt
Nik
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 9:46 am

I believe last time Ping is one of the few major brand that offer fitting. Now we can get fitted by Mizuno, Titleist and TM as. The market is not so niche for Ping anymore.

My frd's colleague was fitted with Ping in Bishan and my frd is very impress with it.

To me, I would expect a good result in the fitting. I'm not saying that Ping or the fitter in Bishan is no good but i believe any clubfitter should be able to do that
Back to top Go down
rangereye
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
rangereye

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 am

Cast and forged irons can be bent if the hosel allows for it. PING irons definitely can be bent. However, the irons can only be bent to a max of a couple of degrees only so it is still best to have some understanding of your specs so that you can better select the set that is closest to your swing characteristics.

The fitting on PING website serves as a good starting point but my recommendation is still to go through a proper fitting session as the fitting on the website will not be able to identify your posture and your swing characteristics that will have a major impact on the final colour code (in the case of PING) that will best suit you. Do be prepared to pay for the fitting services if you are not purchasing the irons after the fitting (usually about $100).

Whether to buy used or new is really a personal preference IMO.. some pple like to have things new, some just wan a set they can play with knowing that they would prob change their set later.. so it really boils down to your preference...
Back to top Go down
http://www.wizgolf.com.sg
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am

Eden's right..if you want to bend Ping irons, do it at an authorized Ping fitting centre for peace of mind. Fact that Ping cast iron can be bent shows the quality of Ping's casting process and the steel material they use.
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks for all the feedback

Can I go to ping.com , Web-Fit
Key in all my measurements and from the results look for a USED set of Ping with the correct Iron Color Code and length?

Is it that simple? or must go and visit Ping Dealers to do a fitting?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 12:05 pm

It can work but may not work for everyone. I did web fitting and was given black (std) as my code. Then I went to TPY Pro Shop for dynamic fitting, and the fitter told me blue (.75 upright) is better for my irons, and black for wedges. (I'm about 1.8m with golf shoes).

Like folks mentioned, a session at Ping fitting centres (not necessarily dealers) is well worth the time and at least in my case, I was not forced to buy on the spot.
Back to top Go down
maryet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Bro Maryet,

You are using steel or graphite shaft?
Their stock steel shaft is their own
Ping AWT..dun know how are they
compare with the likes of TTDG,NSPRO
and KBS shaft?
I wonder how is the present G15 as
compared to G10..I guess they are just
as good if not they will not be given
the Gold Award in Golf Diigest's Game
Improvement Irons category.[/quote]

Bro, I'm using the regular steel Ping AWT shafts. My previous irons
were TM r7 with t-step steel shafts. I have also tried NS pro 950 shafts.
I can't really tell the difference between these shafts. I haven't tried the G15 irons, but a good friend just bought a set. Like me, he is a mid handicapper, MP60 player, looking for consistency in his iron play. He wanted very much to be a i15 player. Went for fitting and found that his shots were so much better with the G15 irons. Sucked up his ego, ended up with G15! Go on youtube and search for video reviews of these irons.
Back to top Go down
rangereye
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
rangereye

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:31 pm

morganoh wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback

Can I go to ping.com , Web-Fit
Key in all my measurements and from the results look for a USED set of Ping with the correct Iron Color Code and length?

Is it that simple? or must go and visit Ping Dealers to do a fitting?

Hi Morgan,

It is always better to do dynamic fitting than static fitting as static fitting only take into considerations your height but not your posture and also your swing so you do not need to spend $ again to bend the irons.

my .5 cents opinion...
Back to top Go down
http://www.wizgolf.com.sg
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:36 pm

rangereye wrote:

It is always better to do dynamic fitting than static fitting as static fitting only take into considerations your height but not your posture and also your swing so you do not need to spend $ again to bend the irons.

my .5 cents opinion...

Thanks

I have been searching the web for comparision between the Rapture iron and G15 irons, but cant find it

any players currently playing with Rapture and G15 irons? can advice?

my current Yamaha is Maraging face.
and found out that Maraging Steel is Harder than Titanium
Is Maraging Steel better than the Titanium Face on the Rapture irons?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:37 pm

For one, steel is cheaper than titanium, and the bonding process is probably less expensive to do.

Secondly, titanium is lighter than steel, meaning there could ultimately be more perimeter weighting since the face is titanium and the head is steel.
Back to top Go down
birthstone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
birthstone

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Each person specs is different for each individual. How do u find the same specs that fits from a second hand ping iron? its quite impossible. U still have to consider the Grip size, Shaft length...
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Or you can just wait or buy the Ping Anser irons...
They are forged!!!
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Ya..agreed...
Back to top Go down
ping golfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi morgan, I would recommend that you give the forged Anser a try, its really nice to hit and forgiving for a CB iron. Ping Golf
Back to top Go down
guanoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Morgan,

Go for fitting. I started with a second hand set that had an inappropriate lie. My coach spotted the problem early and advised me to be fitted. I guess the equipment should be used to suit the player than the player suit the irons.

I am currently using G15, easy launching even on off centre hits.
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 am

guanoe wrote:
Hi Morgan,

Go for fitting. I started with a second hand set that had an inappropriate lie. My coach spotted the problem early and advised me to be fitted. I guess the equipment should be used to suit the player than the player suit the irons.

I am currently using G15, easy launching even on off centre hits.

I key in all my (ht , length, ball dist and etc) in ping website , got some datas
and was lucky to find a set of used irons with the specs I need
so Just bought a Set of used Rapture irons 4-9 , 1.5deg up
quite cheap at $750 only .
and seller said if try for 2-3 weeks cant play or dont like it can return and refund for $580.
So for $50 risk I'm willing to try it,
now I love it. so will keep it.

Last edited by morganoh on Thu May 20, 2010 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 am

cheers Pls join the PING owners Thread... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)   PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PING Irons (Buy new get fitted or Buy Used)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next