Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cleaning your ball

Go down 
+11
m0i
watermyforrest
shorthitter
novicegolfer
jurongtiger
weesern
who8168
rocky
lennylim
S70B
Golfnuts
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Golfnuts
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golfnuts

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Think this might be an interesting question to ask... expert please share your knowledge....

Sometimes fairway are soft and when your ball land, picks up soil...

What do you normally do?

Mark your ball on the fairway/rough and cleans it?

Or

Just play through?

By the way is it legal to clean your ball up while approaching green (second or third shot)?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm

No mate. Mud is considered "rub of the green"...which is a scottish way of saying "tough luck"...or "those are the breaks be it good or bad".

Some experts say that they play the ball depending on where the mud is stuck to...like if its on the right side of the ball, it might curve towards that direction after impact. Personally, I dun care and just hit it to where I aim since no one can prove that the mud will still stick after impact.
Back to top Go down
lennylim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
lennylim

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm

no, you cannot mark and pick up your ball to clean it unless it is on the green...
even if there is mud/sand/grass, u have to play it.

but if its plugged into the fairway, or greenside, u can pick it up.
but question is:
i) can clean the ball?
ii) must drop or can place?
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 pm

If all your playing agree, all can play "preferred lies". After every shot, mark the ball, clean it, put it back and play from there. It is ok if everyone does the same. Even in competition. I think the only exception is when it is in the hazard, ie bunker and long grass.

At least this is what I was taught.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 1:22 am

lennylim wrote:
but if its plugged into the fairway, or greenside, u can pick it up.
but question is:
i) can clean the ball?
ii) must drop or can place?

If the ball is plugged on the fairway or greenside, you may lift & clean, then drop as near as possible to where it was plugged (Rule 25-2).
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:12 am

the plugged hole must be made by your ball and not a plug hole that is already there... wonder how to determine.....

correct me if i'm wrong...
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:31 am

weesern wrote:
the plugged hole must be made by your ball and not a plug hole that is already there... wonder how to determine.....

correct me if i'm wrong...

U r right! As to how to determine, if it is created by ur own hole, the ball will sit pretty tight in the hole, versus when ur ball roll into another ball mark, it will be very lose. But when in doubt, confer with ur other flight mates or opponents, & assume it is ur own ball mark! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 7:30 pm

Where did you guys get all the rules and chapters from ah?? Very curious. DO you guys memorise them all??
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 10:31 pm

get it from the rule book
Back to top Go down
novicegolfer
Qualified Referee
Qualified Referee

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:17 am

rocky wrote:
If all your playing agree, all can play "preferred lies". After every shot, mark the ball, clean it, put it back and play from there. It is ok if everyone does the same. Even in competition. I think the only exception is when it is in the hazard, ie bunker and long grass.

Not totally correct. affraid
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:22 am

rocky wrote:

The committe has to endorse this your flight cannot just say "we are playing preffered lies today", for a competition anyway, if you are just playing socially it does not matter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
novicegolfer
Qualified Referee
Qualified Referee

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:29 am

shorthitter wrote:
rocky wrote:

The committe has to endorse this your flight cannot just say "we are playing preffered lies today", for a competition anyway, if you are just playing socially it does not matter.

In competition, the Committee MUST made the Preferred Lies is in effect. Only applicable in closely mowned area.

In social game, if there isn't any Local Rules of this nature, they should play the ball as it lies. Or otherwise, it would defeat the spirit of the game.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:33 am

novicegolfer wrote:

Only applicable in closely mowned area..

Actually they can declare "through the green" which is everywhere except hazards. Even rough...
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Doh... in my flite, you can even clean your ball and put it on tee, yes, even on sand bunker. The spirit of the game is to have an enjoyable round of golf Smile
Back to top Go down
novicegolfer
Qualified Referee
Qualified Referee

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 pm

shorthitter wrote:
novicegolfer wrote:

Only applicable in closely mowned area..

Actually they can declare "through the green" which is everywhere except hazards. Even rough...

Agreed. Even "illegal" rules are applicable.

However, the Ruling Bodies will not adopt "extended through the green" for preferred lies for major events.
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 1:59 am

I won't clean the ball. I just change it. kidding.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 7:41 am

but can i just clean the ball in order to identify my own ball?
Back to top Go down
novicegolfer
Qualified Referee
Qualified Referee

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 10:19 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
but can i just clean the ball in order to identify my own ball?

You are not allowed to do so.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:23 am

HHmmmmm....Uncle Donald like now raining season, if his ball is plugged or struck with muds and wet dirts, he lift and shouted to us ... " WINTER RULES ! " Cleaned his ball and place it on the fairway no nearer the hole. Shocked

He said he wintness Ernie Els in Singapore during Barclay that he lifted the ball as it was raining before and his ball was full of wet mud ! Twisted Evil

So now if my ball is wet and covered with mud and condom....oops i mean weirds things i also follow Donald and shouted at my playing mate ... " Winter Rules ! "

pig
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:56 am

I think his was plugged and not cos of mud.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks bro ! I will tell Uncle Donald that...only if it is plugged in wet condition than can lift, clean, changed to a ProV ball !

cyclops
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Actually if the ball is plugged in the fairway, in any condition (wet or dry), it can be lifted, cleaned & dropped not nearer to the hole.

If the ball has mud stuck to it, but no winter rules or preferred lies in place, then cannot touch the ball. If winter rules or preferred lies is declared by the club (normally only during tournaments), it also only applies to ball on the fairway, not in the rough.

Additional note, if the ball is embedded or plugged in the rough, & no local rule in Appendix 1 of Rule Book is adopted, tough luck! Just have to play as it lies.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing !

Beer
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 5:46 pm

guess this is a good topic since it rains so often recently.... Smile

hopefully not tmr afternoon....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cleaning your ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cleaning your ball   Cleaning your ball I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cleaning your ball
Page 1 of 1