Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advise on ball contact

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Advise on ball contact Empty
PostSubject: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:10 am

Hi Bros and Pros,

Can impart some advise on the ball contact to produce a more consistent flight and distant?

Driver and woods: Sweeping, minimal or no divots
Irons and Hybrids:
Hybrids - 4i: still more like sweeping, with some divots
5i - 9i: descending, with divots
PW, AW, SW, LW: again I feel that the bottom of the clubface hit below the ball produces better control as the ball flight is high and less roll i.e. almost like sweeping.
Back to top Go down
shaugn
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
shaugn

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:35 am

Have a look at this rather interesting article on hybrids vs irons:

http://www.golftipsmag.com/instruction/iron-play-quick-tips/seeing-double.html

The article says that hitting hybrids is alot like hitting middle irons. It recommends alternating between hitting a 6-iron and a hybrid for each shot at the range until you ingrain a similar motion for both.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Hi Bros and Pros,

Can impart some advise on the ball contact to produce a more consistent flight and distant?

Irons and Hybrids:
PW, AW, SW, LW: again I feel that the bottom of the clubface hit below the ball produces better control as the ball flight is high and less roll i.e. almost like sweeping.

Agree with ur breakdown above. However, from short irons down to wedges, i play differently depending on the ball flight i want, which is determined by the pin location & dangers around the green. U still can pitch the ball low with a wedge and get it to stop quickly.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 7:12 pm

shaugn wrote:
The article says that hitting hybrids is alot like hitting middle irons. It recommends alternating between hitting a 6-iron and a hybrid for each shot at the range until you ingrain a similar motion for both.

Thanks bro, I read this before as well but found that my flight tend to balloon and the direction become incosistent. But when I sweep it like hitting a 3 iron (still with a bit of divot), it tends to be more boring

who8168 wrote:
U still can pitch the ball low with a wedge and get it to stop quickly.

Wow, do u change the position of the ball for the all the wedges or remain the same for like 5iron and do you consciously target the clubhead to hit ball downward?
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 8:03 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Hi Bros and Pros,

Irons and Hybrids:

All you have to remember is this truth...

Learn how to hit the ground at the same spot in relation to your upper body all the time.

Try this drill with your golf club preferably at East Coast Park or somewhere with plenty of sand.
Draw a line about 10 feet long.

Stand over the line so that the line is in line with your sternum.
Make 20 swings as you move down the line trying to aim your clubhead right on the line.

Here's your ball striking rating, if you hit the line:

1-10: Poor
11-15: Average
16-19: Above Average
20: Good

20 counts only as "Good" because other elements like holding shaft flex, using true loft etc go into an Excellent rating.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Supinate, supinate, supinate!

"This is the mark of a true champion" - Jack Nicklaus.

Advise on ball contact Supinate-250
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:55 am

watermyforrest wrote:
Wow, do u change the position of the ball for the all the wedges or remain the same for like 5iron and do you consciously target the clubhead to hit ball downward?

The position of the ball seems to change but in actual fact it is my right leg that is doing all the adjustments. The ball position in relation to my left leg remains the same. In other words, with the 5 iron, my feet r slightly wider than my shoulders, with the ball position about 1 ball to the left of center. With my PW, my right feet moves to the left to less than shoulder width, thus making the ball position seems more right of center now.

Am i making sense? Question
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 7:05 am

The Golfing Machine wrote:

Learn how to hit the ground at the same spot in relation to your upper body all the time.

Do we try it with Driver and woods as well?

Agreed, agreed, agreed! I tried to supinate during my slow practice swing, but if I am consciously doing it during the normal swing, I tend to pull the shot. Do you actually make a conscious effort to turn your hand similar to Hogan pics you posted?

who8168 wrote:

The position of the ball seems to change but in actual fact it is my right leg that is doing all the adjustments. The ball position in relation to my left leg remains the same.

Very Hoganeque, which I really really like and tried to copy for some time... no success story for me Sad
IMHO this is because I don't make as much lateral move as Hogan.
So since last week, I decided to copy Ernie Els swing (prior to his Leadbetter's understudy) instead since he has less lateral move and ball position is more to the center.

This is fantastic guys! Pls keep the suggestions coming...
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:55 pm

rocky wrote:

"This is the mark of a true champion" - Jack Nicklaus.

Advise on ball contact Supinate-250

Word of caution here...

Supination will only work if you are coming to the ball on plane with an open club face like the old timers...

If you come over the top...you will be hitting what we call Shrimp Hooks...
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 12:13 am

Word of caution here...

Supination will only work if you are coming to the ball on plane with an open club face like the old timers...

I remember reading somewhere it works best with a weak grip, right? Golf Guru?
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 7:58 am

who8168 wrote:
Word of caution here...

I remember reading somewhere it works best with a weak grip, right? Golf Guru?

Well, the answer really is yes and no.
There are other factors involved such as the angle of approach and hand action from impact to follow through.

A strong grip does not guarantee a hook shot.
Case in point is David Duval.
He hits low fades with a very strong grip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advise on ball contact   Advise on ball contact I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advise on ball contact
Page 1 of 1