Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need advice on equipment

Go down 
+8
eiji
pushslice
daveaha
tjy
Yarra
alvin7379
Ant
piero
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Need advice on equipment Empty
PostSubject: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi Newbie... Almost done with my first phase of my lessons and getting PC soon. Thinking of getting a set of clubs so that I can practice on my own without the coach.

Was at Far East looking at some starter sets. Was introduced to sets like Mizuno Charge III, Finalist RV, Giga, Gosen and Maruman and of course the Taylormades.

I am quite set on getting the Jap brands due to my height (~1.71m). Generally feel more comfortable with slightly shorter clubs. Can anyone advise me what would be a good set of clubs to start with. Hopefully can last me for a while.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Got a Bridgestone set.. R flex with light weight steel shaft. Almost like graphite. Made in Japan... if you are keen you can try it first at the range. No obligation to buy. Used less than a year. 5 -9, PW, AW, SW. Sms me at 91553131 if you keen.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Bro,

For a start, you should ask your coach's suggestion before heading down to look for any clubs. He has seen your swing and would be in the best position to offer you suggestions. 3 main parts of irons you should be aware of:

Grip:
- Size of grip to match your hands
- Type of grip to suit your palms (i.e. cord or cordless or mixed)

Shaft:
- Suitable weight and stiffness to match your swing

Club Head:
- Generally would suggest cavity back with reasonable offset club heads which are more forgiving
- But personally I would go for clubs with lesser offset, though it will be tougher to hit, it does help me in getting the 'right' swing faster because of lower tolerance for mishits

Basically brands should not be of your main concern now as you should be looking at the clubs which you deem more comfortable with. And, it is not true that Jap clubs are shorter and should fit your height... basically all off-the-rack irons are petty much of standard length.

It is always better to get yourself a budget 2nd hand set... after you feel more accomplished and knowing your swing better, you can look for a better set. (So you wun overspend on clubs that are not suitable for you)

Hope the above helps... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Advise from him is that I am more suited for Jap Branded like Mizuno with a regular, graphite shaft.

I dont think i get much choices if I am going for a complete starter set thats around 1K odd?

Or can anyone point me to a shop that carries second hand clubs? Probably go down to have a look.

Actually contemplating the Maruman Verity Red complete set.... But ok to look for 2nd hand sets too.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 pm

piero wrote:
Advise from him is that I am more suited for Jap Branded like Mizuno with a regular, graphite shaft.

I dont think i get much choices if I am going for a complete starter set thats around 1K odd?

May I ask how old are you? BTW... you a bro right? tongue
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm

For a first-timer, I'd say go with the most forgiving set that suits your eyes. Go easy with the shafts but do pick a steel shaft if you are physically fit and strong. A smart move is to get a second-hand set. Just my 2c...
Back to top Go down
tjy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:05 am

am also a newbie and looking for a set of iron for myself.. but seems like i can't determine which is good and which is not from the marketplace. would it be advisable to head down to shops to take a look?
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:12 am

tjy wrote:
am also a newbie and looking for a set of iron for myself.. but seems like i can't determine which is good and which is not from the marketplace. would it be advisable to head down to shops to take a look?

Adviseable? I'd say that's the smart thing to do... Razz
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:48 am

If I can suggest iron set for you, and you're willing to spend a bit more, go for Mizuno MX100 or MX1000. They're game improvement iron for high handicappers, and should be easy to hit. This iron investment can last you quite some time.

Go here to read more.
http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons/

Just my 2c.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 1:58 am

If you want clubs that last for a while, then you have got to try before you buy. Hit a few balls and see the actual or at least, a simulated ball flight. Some pro shops have a simulator or are on a driving range. They should allow you to demo some clubs (with a tape) or use the demo clubs. Hitting on to a net is just not good enough.

Trying 2nd hand clubs would be tricky. we have folks whacking balls on MBGC range every wed eve. Many of them are willing to lend their clubs. Brand new titleist and cobra stuff are also available for trials.

If you cant try clubs, then may consider the following:

- Use online fitting on True Temper's site to get an idea of what shaft flex suit you. I only went to a club fitter after my swing was somewhat repeatable.

- beginners should find clubs with wider sole, longer face and lower center of gravity easiest to use. Ralph Maltby, a well-known club maker, has measured many clubs' actual CoG and posted it on his website.

I personally think Callaway X series and Ping G series are great for beginners and yet they could last you until mid-handicap. Clevage CG7 and Titleist AP1 is also in the same category, imho.

good luck on your search..
Back to top Go down
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 7:14 am

Hi realized that I haven given much details of myself. Anyway I'm 30 and a guy. Hitting ard 120-130 m on iron 8 but not that consistent.

Where's a good place to check out the ping and callaway x series? And possible to pm me on what's a reasonable price? Don't want to be carroted. Thx!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 7:58 am

piero wrote:
Hi realized that I haven given much details of myself. Anyway I'm 30 and a guy. Hitting ard 120-130 m on iron 8 but not that consistent.

Where's a good place to check out the ping and callaway x series? And possible to pm me on what's a reasonable price? Don't want to be carroted. Thx!

With your age and distance... I think steel shaft would be better... its weird why your coach suggested graphite... does he happen to have a graphite set waiting to be sold??? tongue
Back to top Go down
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:18 am

Nope. He's not sellin me anything. Anyway I am trying to get the sets from a shop cos I need a receipt to claim against the company. Any suggesions where I can look? Thx!
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 am

How much are you looking to spend?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 am

Mizunos MX100, MX 200s, Taylormade Burners, Ping G15s, Cleveland XLi, Callaway Diablo Edge, etc etc. Take a look at Golf Digest.com's hot list under GI or Super GI irons, pick a set whether used or new that suits ur budget.

As someone else already mentioned, you can head down to our weekly range sessions on wednesday and ask around to try other members irons to have a feel of whats feels good and easy to hit for u. 120m for 8i as a start, i think u should be looking at stiff regular(firm) flex.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 am

piero wrote:
Nope. He's not sellin me anything. Anyway I am trying to get the sets from a shop cos I need a receipt to claim against the company. Any suggesions where I can look? Thx!

Can Claim!?!? -_-'''

Get HONMA.... keke....
Back to top Go down
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 am

alvin7379 wrote:
piero wrote:

Can Claim!?!? -_-'''

Get HONMA.... keke....

Err... Got limit one lah... Not 100%. Just couple of hundereds.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:03 am

Honma very uncle leh... Sorry no offence to honma owner...keke

beginner choice are usualy these few : callaway x series, ping, mizuno mx series, maruman and Nike slingshot.

Always test as many set as possible before buying, buying second hand set is a smart move, keep a lookout in our Market place for potential seller

enjoy the game

snowman[left]
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 am

Haha... but seriously... try get a 2nd hand set for your first clubs because you will need time for your swing to turn consistence... then you will know your capabilities better to choose suitable clubs yourself for your next set of clubs.

Like what bro Pushsice & Eiji said, do drop by MBGC on Wednesday evening for the gathering... there are lots of clubs that you can try on to know which one you feel comfortable with.

A decent set of 2nd hand irons should cost between 250 - 500... Drivers/ Fairway woods/ Hybrids/ putter will generally cost between 100 - 200 each. I know that there are shops out there selling the so call 'beginner sets' which has everything (Irons, Drivers, Fairway Woods, Putter) + bag going at around $250 but those clubs in my opinion may not be very lasting.

Take your time as there is no need to rush to get yourself equipped for the PC Test. Important thing is that you get suitable equipments to make your game more enjoyable...

Having said the above... if you somehow still opt for Honma... let me know, so I can meet you to hit some balls! haha...

lol!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:15 am

golf_snowman wrote:

snowman[left]

UNCLE?!?!.... wait till they put out the 20K-30K price tag on their bag... then you tell me about being uncle again....

lol!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:26 am

alvin7379 wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:

snowman[left]

UNCLE?!?!.... wait till they put out the 20K-30K price tag on their bag... then you tell me about being uncle again....

lol!

haha...ya bro, i know how expensive Honma is...and i have tried Honma set before...still turns me off by the look...keke

i guess at that price tag, most owner are likely to be uncle also..Ops..coz tey are super duper rich...haha !!

again..no offence to Honma owner...haha !!

snowman
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:25 am

piero wrote:

Previous models e.g. X16-X18 and G2-G5s were highly rated during their time. You can get them for a few hundreds at Joe's. Maybe check out GR's WITB thread, see if anyone has them. I'd PM owners for a chance to range together. There are stickies for TM, Mizzy and Cleveland owners as well.

PGA.com Value Guide has estimates of 2nd hand price. It is based on real transactions off e-Bay USA (in USD, excl. shipping/GST to Spore). Although I find golfers here sell pre-owned clubs with a premium.

Ping's one caveat: find your color code first.
Back to top Go down
piero
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 am

Errr... Where is Joes?

I went to Far East. Got a quote for Callaway X-20 Irons for $650. Plus 1 driver, 13 woods and 1 putter come up to 1K plus. Kinda ex for a 2nd hand set or is this considered fair?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:06 pm

If not wrong cleveland irons can be quite cheap during sales... can check with Pan West.

Saw a set of irons (Pride) going for about 399... not sure if it suits u
Back to top Go down
r51069
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:16 pm

hi, saw a brand new TM Burner 09 irons set (graphite shaft) at SCC Pan West shop selling at $1199...is that consider cheap?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on equipment   Need advice on equipment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need advice on equipment
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next