Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Secret of Golf

Go down 
+7
Right_sided_coach
weesern
siaw8
sunny
Ssquirrel
missmoon
The Golfing Machine
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

The Secret of Golf - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 11:34 pm

rocky wrote:
The Golfing Machine wrote:

Personally, I am of the RSS school of thought although I echo what you say that LSS is not wrong either, just a matter of preference and efficiency.

The very best ball strikers in the world:

1) Have their spine more vertical over the ball (cover)
2) Hold shaft flex, and
3) Keep the arms packed in close to the body and cut the arms left past impact to maintain shaft flex.

For players serious about improving their games, I think a visit to Paul should be part of that plan (Right_sided_coach)

My friend,

You are a very interesting character. You talk about TGM but ask people to see Paul about RSS? So are you pro-TGM or pro-RSS? I'm confused.

The reason why I was interested in your article in the first place was because I thought that what you talk about is consistent with what my coach talks about.

And you mentioned about the world's best ball strikers. May I know who you are referring to? I have read many books and articles about the best ball strikers but their focus are not the same as what you have described. What I mean is that Ben Hogan's focus and Moe Norman's focus are different. So are Tiger Wood's and Jack Nicklaus.

I really hope you could elaborate more on your topic. This really got my attention and I would really like to know more.

Paul: Sorry but I am not playing down RSS. On the contrary I think RSS is a fantastically simple and effective swing. It's just that I haven't got a chance to read more about it. In fact, if there are articles on RSS that you could point me to, I would be glad to read them on my own. Thanks.

Last of all, thanks to all the Golfing Gurus here for the input.

Haha...Rocky, like I mentioned, TGM is not a system but an encyclopedia. All Homer Kelley did in The Golfing Machine was to give things names and classify them in a coherent order.

Mr Kelley personally said that there are quadrillions of swing patterns that are valid.

Out of these quadrillions, we could probably rank them as best in distance, accuracy, ease of execution, ease of learning etc.

What I am merely pointing out is that all the greats who are known to be great ballstrikers have the RSS move at least from impact to follow through. With all due respect to Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods, they were not described as great ball strikers the way Hogan, Knudson, Sergio etc were. Jack Nicklaus used to watch George Knudson practice.

So maybe to clarify, I am pro RSS and pro TGM...as RSS is a very valid pattern that I can classify using TGM terminology.

Attached here is a list that I give to students who are going to take their TGM examinations. See if you can get the gist of the book here.

HOW TO STUDY TGM

First of all, TGM is NOT a method. It is merely a catalog of the things that happen in a golf swing and the things that should be in a effective golf swing.

The foundations of the book are the primary concepts per 1-L: "the Hinge Action (2-G) of an Angular Motion (2-K) operating on an Inclined Plane (2-F)"

The golf swing has 24 components (from putt to drive) and they each have a varying number of variations. Chapter 7 and 10

The golf swing passes through 12 sections. Chapter 8

The motion that makes up the golf stroke can be divided into 3 zones. Chapter 9

There are 20 points through which every swing must comply with in order to produce a geometrically correct swing. All these 20 points can be represented by a geometric figure. 1-L-1 to 21

The science of the book is laid out in Chapter 2.

Chapter 3 shows you the correct way to build your golf stroke.

Chapter 4 talks about Wrist Positions

Chapter 5 talks about Monitoring

Chapter 6 talks about the Power Package

Chapter 11 is a summary of the variations and outlines what are and are not compatible.

Chapter 12 contains zero compensation beginner stroke patterns for both hitting and swinging. It also contains a curriculum with which to begin learning G.O.L.F.

Chapter 13 speaks about non-interchangeable components

Chapter 14 talks about the role of the human mind in golf.

Should you study TGM with professional help? In the timeless words of Mr. Kelly: "Preferable with. Advisedly with! Imploredly with!!!"
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 12:34 am

Thanks TGM. Will check out the Encyclopedia sometime soon.

So who teaches TGM in Singapore? You? Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 12:58 am

rocky wrote:

Personally, I am of the RSS school of thought although I echo what you say that LSS is not wrong either, just a matter of preference and efficiency.

2) Hold shaft flex, and
3) Keep the arms packed in close to the body and cut the arms left past impact to maintain shaft flex.

For players serious about improving their games, I think a visit to Paul should be part of that plan (Right_sided_coach)

My friend,

You are a very interesting character. You talk about TGM but ask people to see Paul about RSS? So are you pro-TGM or pro-RSS? I'm confused.

Paul: Sorry but I am not playing down RSS. On the contrary I think RSS is a fantastically simple and effective swing. It's just that I haven't got a chance to read more about it. In fact, if there are articles on RSS that you could point me to, I would be glad to read them on my own. Thanks.

Firstly thanks to The Golf Machine for the kind words. As mentioned, the best ball strikers have the 3 characteristics described above. The RSS is simply about swinging the most efficient and simple way to achieve that exact impact position. We simply set up at the impact position described and return to that impact position. Once set up the correct way, the only 3 things then to consider are the swing radius, the direction of turn and the weight shift. If you want any more info on the RSS you can visit the Gary Edwin website at www.garyedwingolf.com.au We also have an instructional VCD you can purchase from the academy which explains the 3 things I have mentioned above. There is no easy way or magical method to play golf. It takes years of practice and lessons to get to an elite level. Each to there own way. Some methods have alot of moving parts and put alot of stress on the body. SOme rely on timing and rythym which may be inconsistent at times. The RSS tries to eliminate stress on the body and the reliance on timing and rythym. I have taught LSS for years before meeting the RS guys. As somoene who has been on both sides of the fence, my personal opinion is if you follow the RSS method correctly and stick with the advise I give, you will improve your ball striking. If you do not follow the prescribed drills, and give up after a few lessons, you will not get the results you want. Any swing change takes time and lots of ups and downs. Sometimes you may not see the relevance of hitting a 7 iron 50 meters but it all is in aid of learning impact !!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:03 am

weesern wrote:
SS, can I borrow from you first to see if its too difficult to read??

Sure.. .any other books you want to read? I have a lot of golf books!!! hahaha..
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:21 am

bro SS, u got lots of book?

can i borrow some?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 am

jaketang wrote:

can i borrow some?

Sure, post/pm me the titles and I see if I can find them (house messy! hahaha)

But I'm not responsible if your golf suffers hor...
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
jaketang wrote:

can i borrow some?

wow power.... machiam like a library lidat.... solid...

dun have any specific title... but if you have few those really good n easy to read, i dun mind... since now i need to rest for few weeks, a couple of books for reading seems perfect.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
jaketang wrote:

can i borrow some?

Haha... i like this quote.... anything for me ? SS
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:55 am

SS, so r u goin to the den anytime soon?

perhaps can meet you there to collect the books.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 12:38 pm

jaketang wrote:
SS, so r u goin to the den anytime soon?

perhaps can meet you there to collect the books.. Smile

K, i think i read in another thread, you might be losing interest in golf?? I suggest "Extraordinary golf" or some other non-technical bk for you.
We should exchange PM or start another thread and not dilute this thread.. Smile
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 6:17 pm

The Secret to Golf???

Well??? Whats the secret??? I thought it was to have fun... Make a few new friends.. Try not to kill someone on the course???

Or is it like my global best seller: The Secret of
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 7:56 pm

rocky wrote:
Thanks TGM. Will check out the Encyclopedia sometime soon.

So who teaches TGM in Singapore? You? Anyone else?

I do not know of anyone else who refers to the book in their teaching in Singapore.
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
rocky wrote:

2) Hold shaft flex, and

My friend,

Firstly thanks to The Golf Machine for the kind words. As mentioned, the best ball strikers have the 3 characteristics described above. The RSS is simply about swinging the most efficient and simple way to achieve that exact impact position. We simply set up at the impact position described and return to that impact position. Once set up the correct way, the only 3 things then to consider are the swing radius, the direction of turn and the weight shift. If you want any more info on the RSS you can visit the Gary Edwin website at www.garyedwingolf.com.au We also have an instructional VCD you can purchase from the academy which explains the 3 things I have mentioned above. There is no easy way or magical method to play golf. It takes years of practice and lessons to get to an elite level. Each to there own way. Some methods have alot of moving parts and put alot of stress on the body. SOme rely on timing and rythym which may be inconsistent at times. The RSS tries to eliminate stress on the body and the reliance on timing and rythym. I have taught LSS for years before meeting the RS guys. As somoene who has been on both sides of the fence, my personal opinion is if you follow the RSS method correctly and stick with the advise I give, you will improve your ball striking. If you do not follow the prescribed drills, and give up after a few lessons, you will not get the results you want. Any swing change takes time and lots of ups and downs. Sometimes you may not see the relevance of hitting a 7 iron 50 meters but it all is in aid of learning impact !!

That really resonates with me!
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Just out of curiosity RS_Coach....does the RSS teach this "position" on the downstroke?
To be specific, where the shaft covers the right forearm...

The Secret of Golf - Page 2 Sergio11

The Secret of Golf - Page 2 Scan0011
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:10 pm

Hey TGM
If I was doing a lesson and seen those shaft angles on the way down, my personal opinion is that it would be too shallow/flat. I think it would encourage a ball flight that starts right of target and would need some flipping/releasing with the wrists to stop it going too far right. These are both LSS so looking from front view they would look further behind than a RSS, hence a shallower path into impact. The RSS would be a little more on top of the right forearm as below, requiring less flipping/releasing at impact. The ball would tend to start more on target line. Looking from front view RSS would be covering the ball more, not as far back and behind.
Rodney Pampling
The Secret of Golf - Page 2 Pamps110
Peter Senior
The Secret of Golf - Page 2 Senior10
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 7:06 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Hey TGM
If I was doing a lesson and seen those shaft angles on the way down, my personal opinion is that it would be too shallow/flat. I think it would encourage a ball flight that starts right of target and would need some flipping/releasing with the wrists to stop it going too far right. These are both LSS so looking from front view they would look further behind than a RSS, hence a shallower path into impact. The RSS would be a little more on top of the right forearm as below, requiring less flipping/releasing at impact. The ball would tend to start more on target line. Looking from front view RSS would be covering the ball more, not as far back and behind.
Rodney Pampling

Point taken...by the way, do you have footage of Peter Senior?
Also, do you have stuff on Billy Dunk?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Secret of Golf   The Secret of Golf - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Secret of Golf
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2