Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is there something wrong with PGA ruling?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Is there something wrong with PGA ruling? Empty
PostSubject: Is there something wrong with PGA ruling?   Is there something wrong with PGA ruling? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 am

With all the fiasco in the recently concluded PGA event, I cunt help but noticed the irony of some actions/comments...eg

We have some PGA golfers who said yeah, the change of the groove is a good thing...it puts more emphasis on fairway hit.......but then, if can use Ping Eye2, will consider using , because it is permitted.....

NB...personally I think it is not right.....even if legally permitted.......
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with PGA ruling?   Is there something wrong with PGA ruling? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:59 am

there are 2 issues here...

one. if the club is conforming to the groove rule and two if its conforming to the spirit of the groove change.

i have a similar wedge in the store and i took a very very close look.

i am of the opinion that the wedge groove is at least 95% (if not 100%) conforming to the new groove rule. the space between each groove is right, the depth of the groove is 30% less than most groove, the edges are rounded and what is not there is the V groove and the only reason they do not have that is beacause they do not have the technology to make V grooves back then.

as to whether it is conforming to the spirit of the groove change, the above para should help you make your decision.

i was of the opinion that it was not conforming before i took a close look at the Ping eye2 wedge..

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with PGA ruling?   Is there something wrong with PGA ruling? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 am

well, to add on to DGman's view, one is "Objective" and the other is "Subjective"

Conforming to Groove is "Objective"...as long as the groove design meet the requirement, there are barely any argument about it.
However, my thinking is, if the groove rule can be more stringent, Ping Eye2 wedge could be "non-conforming" also

Conforming to the spirit of goove change is pretty "Subjective"....and somehow, each say their own story...and i guess this argument will never end...keke

just my view...

snowman
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with PGA ruling?   Is there something wrong with PGA ruling? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 am

this Objective/Subjective debates are also now seeing allegations of cheating (McCarron of Phil Mickelson), and the possiblities of lawsuits, etc... no idea why McCarron made a rant like that, thought he should know better

according to Phil - The wedge, he said, offered little by way of advantage over his Callaway wedge...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with PGA ruling?   Is there something wrong with PGA ruling? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is there something wrong with PGA ruling?
Page 1 of 1