Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Moving forward with a different perspective

Go down 
+22
blee67
eswing
golf_snowman
Ssquirrel
Technospaz
duffader
ghoonk
SIMBA
siaw8
missmoon
gomjgo
WaLau
ChrisD
JL_chong
weaponx
and68low
Khorkar
kwseow
GadgetGuy
daveaha
Duval_S
DGman
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Moving forward with a different perspective Empty
PostSubject: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:11 am

Thank you Margaret for your post on the reopening of GR. i personally think the GR today is better than Toonhouse in many ways.

i also know its a tough job to be monitoring the forum, maintaining the database and doing what you guys are doing on a 24/7 basis.

coming back to the issues that cause the moderating malfunction...

There were lots of trigger points and the experience and the velocity of the opposing forces was too strong at the point of impact.

I think the moderators saw some of the points but not the intended message. The opposing forces only saw governance and not the well intended reason. But having say that, one will see a lot of name calling (most of the time directed to the governement), controversies, sex, juicy stories without going further than the forum at asiaone. if you flip througn the pages of ST, the bust enhancement ads or the triumph advertisement will put JC avatar to shame.

nevertheless, the past is the past and in moving forward...i like what you have stated...

5. We appreciate that our users may not always see eye-to-eye with the policies implemented at GR though their feedback should always be welcomed. In sharing such feedback, some courtesy should be accorded to our users as much as the GR Team.

6. We believe that as much as we see value in discipline, we are also sensitive to the fact that too much discipline may be detrimental. As such, we are learning to strike a balance between what is appropriate and what is excessive. That being said, we will not tolerate unfriendly behavior and the blatant disregard of our rules and policies, and we will take appropriate action when necessary.

7. We are aware of the need for patience on our part and we also ask for the same in return. Often, over-reaction and intolerance over minor issues have resulted in disagreements which could have been avoided had there been patience.

how do we do that...i think its simple.

Treat your members as friends instead of children....treat the moderator and owner as a friend instead of a parent.

now if you have any problems in the future, its best to fix a face-to-face chat. its the best way to solve any issues.

last but not least, when you choose your team, make sure they are from a diverse background - profession and age. that way, you can handle the kuai lan and scholarly type better. Your team should not think alike and that way, you will be able to better tackle any problem and achieve greater success.

a couple of points to consider...

1. respect is earned not accorded.
2. when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, the result can be devastating.
3. there's someone out there, smarter and better than you.
4. fix the small problems and you will avoid the big issues.
5. learn to think, i am sorry, i love you....the world will be a better place to live. this one is chim so you got to read the book...zero limits.

Nevertheless, i applaud your wise decision to reopen the forum after only a short time to deliberate and in your statement which is straight to the point.

i also want you to know that you have my support in all your endeavours.

Cheers....DGman

Last edited by DGman on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:16 am

CLAP CLAP CLAP.........( x 1000000000000 )

I kind of think the re-open is like Newton's 1st law of Inertia as DGMan's point #2......once we get things started again after some rationalizing, hey man.....it will be BOOOMMMZZZZZ
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 am

Well said Eric.

I completely agree with this statement :

"Treat your members as friends instead of children....treat the moderator and owner as a friend instead of a parent."

However, this should work both ways and we all should have mutual understanding and cooperation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
GadgetGuy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
GadgetGuy

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:28 am

Well said!
Back to top Go down
kwseow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kwseow

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:47 am

Well said Eric!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:48 am

Kudos and I am forever in support of the mods team...
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 am

A comprehandling mentally Dgman, said it all, a great comprehensive view and advice !
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 pm

well said indeed! hope this forum moves forward to greater heights, and not remain mired in the past... Live and let live.....

Swing
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Amen.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 12:08 pm

GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Action always talk louder than words.
Back to top Go down
WaLau
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
WaLau

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 pm

ChrisD wrote:

Dear Mr ChrisD,

i do not agree with that statement, talk is part of an action, is not a result of an action. So Action can't Talk Louder......... Action Can Speak Louder Than Words.

Hereby, i'm sorry if this comments causes discomfort or futher disagreement to the others......

I'm actually learning :

5)...........In sharing such feedback, some courtesy should be accorded to our users as much as the GR Team.

and

Treat your members as friends instead of children....treat the moderator and owner as a friend instead of a parent.

Is this loud enough?
cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:35 pm

I am fine with ur comments cause if I put something on the forum, I am prepared for the worst or good and don't bear any grudges. Likewise I expect ppl here to have the same mentality.
Back to top Go down
gomjgo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 pm

DGman wrote:
Thank you Margaret for your post on the reopening of GR. i personally think the GR today is better than Toonhouse in many ways.

i also know its a tough job to be monitoring the forum, maintaining the database and doing what you guys are doing on a 24/7 basis.

There were lots of trigger points and the experience and the velocity of the opposing forces was too strong at the point of impact.

I think the moderators saw some of the points but not the intended message. The opposing forces only saw governance and not the well intended reason. But having say that, one will see a lot of name calling (most of the time directed to the governement), controversies, sex, juicy stories without going further than the forum at asiaone. if you flip througn the pages of ST, the bust enhancement ads or the triumph advertisement will put JC avatar to shame.

nevertheless, the past is the past and in moving forward...i like what you have stated...

5. We appreciate that our users may not always see eye-to-eye with the policies implemented at GR though their feedback should always be welcomed. In sharing such feedback, some courtesy should be accorded to our users as much as the GR Team.

6. We believe that as much as we see value in discipline, we are also sensitive to the fact that too much discipline may be detrimental. As such, we are learning to strike a balance between what is appropriate and what is excessive. That being said, we will not tolerate unfriendly behavior and the blatant disregard of our rules and policies, and we will take appropriate action when necessary.

7. We are aware of the need for patience on our part and we also ask for the same in return. Often, over-reaction and intolerance over minor issues have resulted in disagreements which could have been avoided had there been patience.

now if you have any problems in the future, its best to fix a face-to-face chat. its the best way to solve any issues.

last but not least, when you choose your team, make sure they are from a diverse background - profession and age. that way, you can handle the kuai lan and scholarly type better. Your team should not think alike and that way, you will be able to better tackle any problem and achieve greater success.

2. when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, the result can be devastating.
5. learn to think, i am sorry, i love you....the world will be a better place to live. this one is chim so you got to read the book...zero limits.

Nevertheless, i applaud your wise decision to reopen the forum after only a short time to deliberate and in your statement which is straight to the point.

Cheers....DGman

Huat ar....

Didn't know till now that DGman is not only a good club fitter but a great philosopher....

His comments definitely can be used to describe or relate to the game of golf.

1. respect is earned not accorded. (You can be a Pro, but if you've no ethic, no one will respect you)
2. when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, the result can be devastating. (the immovable object (golf ball) if hit with a speed of 120 mph, it is sure very devastating in distance).
3. there's someone out there, smarter and better than you. (Another word, even tiger wood can be beaten, another analogy, there is always another higher mountain)
4. fix the small problems and you will avoid the big issues. (if you don't fix your swing fault, you going to slice, hook till no return)
5. learn to think, i am sorry, i love you....the world will be a better place to live. this one is chim so you got to read the book...zero limits. (this damn chim, but may be translated to think for your fellow flight mates, other golfers in the course & other forum members. If you think your ball going to hit another golfer, shout 'fore' and say sorry, and most importantly, all golfers are equal regardless race, religion, age, look, personality, game standard....)

Sweee.......
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
JL_chong

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 2:52 pm

WaLau wrote:
ChrisD wrote:

Dear Mr ChrisD,

i do not agree with that statement, talk is part of an action, is not a result of an action. So Action can't Talk Louder......... Action Can Speak Louder Than Words.

cheers cheers
haha... In another words "Walk the Talk"... Smile
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 2:52 pm

DGman wrote:

Cheers....DGman

DGman,

Thank you for your feedback. GR Team has been very transparent and open with how things are run in the forum, and we will stay that way.

Moving forward, it will be every members' effort to make the forum a better home to stay.
Once again, thank you for the support.

Regards,
Moon
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

DGman wrote:

Boss,

This is very chim and profound.
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 3:50 pm

MEOW.......................
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 3:52 pm

siaw8, you're right. If people have the heart and act constructively, life becomes so much better for everyone.

As I have said time and time again, this is the age of computer heros, where it is easier to come to a public forum and voice dissatisfaction against someone instead of taking it up with them directly. After the forum shut-down, I think it has given us time to step back, take a breath and think about the common good, and whether our actions benefit the community as a whole -- the community will be the judge of that.

As long as we continue to share our thoughts and opinions in a constructive fashion, GR will be a much better place for old-timers and newbies alike Smile
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 pm

I sense that there are some unhappiness between members but I think its common in all forums. Since there are weekly range sessions, why don't the Mods invite those that have shown unhappiness to share their views personally. You never know because misinterpretation may be the cause of all the trouble.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Yes, it's hard to tell someone that he's a XXXXX right to his face. And hypocrisy is so easy to read. Besides, easier to just play nice and get to know each other Smile
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:08 pm

duffader wrote:
I sense that there are some unhappiness between members but I think its common in all forums. Since there are weekly range sessions, why don't the Mods invite those that have shown unhappiness to share their views personally. You never know because misinterpretation may be the cause of all the trouble.

Duffader,

We invite everyone to the weekly range. Feel free to join in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:10 pm

duffader wrote:

Great idea. The range sessions are open to all members and disgruntled members should use this opportunity to pop by and voice their concerns. It's a good opportunity to hear both sides and work towards a compromise going forward.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Technospaz wrote:

Great idea. The range sessions are open to all members and disgruntled members should use this opportunity to pop by and voice their concerns. It's a good opportunity to hear both sides and work towards a compromise going forward.

Sounds reasonable..can work both ways too I guess.. If the mods/volunteers sense some disatisfaction or feel "victimized" they can always shoot a quick PM to chat or even invite the other party in the threads to meetup and have a healthy discussion.

The nuances of speech get lost in forum postings, and misunderstandings/miscommunication always causes unnecessary grief, and is the mother of all fk'ups.. albino
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Quote :
Ssquirrel wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Sounds reasonable..can work both ways too I guess.. If the mods/volunteers sense some disatisfaction or feel "victimized" they can always shoot a quick PM to chat or even invite the other party in the threads to meetup and have a healthy discussion.

The nuances of speech get lost in forum postings, and misunderstandings/miscommunication always causes unnecessary grief, and is the mother of all fk'ups.. Moving forward with a different perspective Icon_albino

OK...since we have caddy, marshall......I nominate myself to be the uncle at the half way house....anytime there is a miscommunication, come to Suntech, I buy kopi and we all sit and talk (disclaimer: timing must fit my schedule)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving forward with a different perspective   Moving forward with a different perspective I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moving forward with a different perspective
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next