Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bunker Shots - Common Faults

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Bunker Shots - Common Faults Empty
PostSubject: Bunker Shots - Common Faults   Bunker Shots - Common Faults I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 11:25 pm

Bunker shots for most amateurs are where alot of shots are wasted, particularly on the deep bunkers at courses such as Marina Bay. By understanding how the sand wedge works and the way the body should work will help you save alot of shots and get out of any bunker. I have done a comparison with Asian and European Tour player Scott Barr (who trains at our academy) and an amateur who has some of the common faults I see on a day to day basis. Scott is one of the best bunker players on the European Tour and following some of his technique can help you as well.

To get out of a deep bunker the first thing you need are the correct body angles

Bunker Shots - Common Faults Bunker11

The next thing is a very open clubface. This is aided by a strong left hand grip, normal right hand grip which will enable the face to open. Notice the differences in the wrist angles

Bunker Shots - Common Faults Bunker12
Bunker Shots - Common Faults Bunker16

Try not to take the club away too flat. That will cause a too much of an in to out path and lead to you shutting the face even more

Bunker Shots - Common Faults Bunker14

The difference in the clubfaces coming into impact is why Scott can hit a high spinning bunker shot
Bunker Shots - Common Faults Bunker18

Due to the club being too closed at impact the amateur must lean back with his body to open the face back up, while Scott can just continue to move his weight forward towards the target.
Bunker Shots - Common Faults Bunker17

So there is alot more to bunker shots than just hitting a few inches behind the ball, which is what we read about in most magazines, books etc. Correct body angles, clubface and shaft angles are the really important things. If your clubface is closed, their is no way you will get it up high and with backspin. Give this a try. I know it will help.
Cheers
Paul
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker Shots - Common Faults   Bunker Shots - Common Faults I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks again, Paul. Great tips again, especially with the pics.

What I find a lot of newbies like myself face is the fear of hitting into the sand. As a result, I end up scooping the ball more than anything else. Can you suggest any tips on how I can overcome this fear?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Bunker Shots - Common Faults   Bunker Shots - Common Faults I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Thanks again, Paul. Great tips again, especially with the pics.

What I find a lot of newbies like myself face is the fear of hitting into the sand. As a result, I end up scooping the ball more than anything else. Can you suggest any tips on how I can overcome this fear?

My biggest observation with golfers scooping is the face not being open enough and the body being in the wrong shape. This causes the player to have to add loft at impact by using their wrists. i.e scoping. Normally is caused by the wrong grip, wrist angles. Too weak in the right hand. On top of this is most golfers concepts. They do not trust that it is the club and the 56 or 60 degrees of loft that is making the ball fly high, not their scooping
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker Shots - Common Faults   Bunker Shots - Common Faults I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 pm

Right, so the whole stance and position possibly causes a weak mindset. I see how it works. I suppose if I had a confident position, I would be more confident with my bunker shot. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Bunker Shots - Common Faults   Bunker Shots - Common Faults I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Right, so the whole stance and position possibly causes a weak mindset. I see how it works. I suppose if I had a confident position, I would be more confident with my bunker shot. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!!

Everything I teach is based around the origin/set up. As for mindset/confidence, you can't have that without good technique. Positive thinking, visualising, pre shot routines, etc are no good if your technique is wrong. However with good technique, your confidence will increase, then the visualising, pre shot, positive thinking etc is applicable. You cannot will the ball into the hole, that is more good luck than a good repeatable action. If you come over the top with an open clubface, no visualising is ever gonna make you hit a draw. Bad technique breeds negativity and vice versa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bunker Shots - Common Faults   Bunker Shots - Common Faults I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bunker Shots - Common Faults
Page 1 of 1