Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?

Go down 
+8
S70B
shorthitter
mUAr_cHEe
pushslice
Duval_S
Technospaz
sunny
alvin7379
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? Empty
PostSubject: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 am

Hi, I have been playing golf for quite awhile but I am still not sure exactly what is the difference between a Professional and Amateur status... in particular Amateur status.

I have read up explanations online but mostly has been talking about what prizes Amateur cannot take etc... who is considered an Amateur? Are normal golfers considered Amateur or we are known as 'something' else? Razz

Anyone knows can help enlighten me? Thanks... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:54 am

Amateur means you are not pro... Basically do not play golf for money. Yes, you and i are considered amateurs.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 am

If that's the case, then my flightmates are pros and I'm the amateur since they all play for my money Sad
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 am

I think it should be re-clarify as prize money as part of the tourney...say you win a hole in one...then get prize...say one GCB....then you no longer amateur liao.

But since we are on this, there are various classification of professionals....some that I am aware are:
1. Range Pro
2. Real Pro
3. Pro-like
4. Pro-equipped
5. Pro-dressed
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 am

Haha.. Playing for money means making significant sum. You lose it(amateur status) when you accept any thing more than 500 pounds or sgd 1500.

As amateurs, you cannot accept prize money even if you play in pro events
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 1:57 pm

How about PGA accreditations? e.g. the difference between a pro and a skilled amateur golfer is whether he/she is accredited by his/her country's PGA.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:05 am

Sunny: Hum... that is what is roughly understand it to be. But the thing I don't understand is... why would people want to keep amateur status when they are good enough to be winning prize money from tournaments?

I remember there is this case of a young boy who won a car from a hole in one (sometime last year if I remember correctly)... but he has to decide if he wanted to claim the price by converting himself into Professional Status or forgo the prize by keeping his amateur status.

Not sure if I got that story right... but it did made me more confuse! Razz
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 am

because pros cannot win prize in amateur tournaments. yes. you did get the story right. the boy could have won the benz. and you look just like your picture!!

Welcome to GR.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 am

Alvin, making money out of golfing is very difficult. Just ask the pros here and you will get the answer. Yes they may luck out and win some occasionally but to do it consistently with a viable income is two different thing.

If you forgo amateur status, and cannot make money you only ruin your chances of going for competitions as many tournaments are for amateurs only.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 am

A hole in one is often more good luck than good management.

Winning money in an ametuer event and a Pro event are very different tasks. It is silly for an ametuer event to offer such prizes, if you win you lose your ametuer status, but that gives you no standing in the Pro world.

Shooting 78 say off the white tees deducting your handicap say 10 nett score 68... may win the prize, but unless you can shoot 68 regularly from the back tees you will go very hungry in the Pro game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:24 am

SH,

There's a minor pro league tour of sorts here that travels around the area with 1 or 2 day comps.

Winning score is often 5 or 6 under and 2 day scores can go as low as 13 under.

The winning prize? About USD$500. How to survive?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:31 am

Depends on entry fee, and a lot of those guys is not full time job or they are trying to get used to comptition.

Used to be one called Moonlight tour there I played a few times.. not sure if still around.

Thats why I miss USA can play everyday for money.

When I was playing 1st was between $12- $25k with $600+ entry..... when ever miss cut I would spend time caddying at Merion to try and raise next entry fee...

Hard work mate have to carry two bags at once. And you no 1 guy would hook and 1 would slice....

Earned $80 for the loop + tips.... 1 weekend could make entry fee then vow and declare to make cut so would not have to caddy.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:32 am

Oh ok... now I get it. Thanks guys! Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 am

Sounds like the caddy I had at Sawgrass. 18 holes and $20 per person for tips.

You are right about guys using this sorta tour to hone their competiveness. There are sometimes even Nationwide Tour Players playing for fun just to keep warm.

Now I know why Florida is the golf capital of US. There are tons of mini tour players grinding out at the public ranges now that winter is upon the country.

Remember the Q school I followed a couple of months back? I had a look at the entry fees again.

Check it out: http://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq9/event/pgatq928/agenda.htm?agenda=4da87823-62e1-4dc9-9d87-5aec3292b538

Its USD btw...not that its worth much now. Razz

Unless you are pretty rich or have a helluva financial backing, the PGA tour is pretty out of reach for most grinders.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 am

Tom Lehman used to play Mini Tours...

There is an article in this months Golf Mag, the free one at the range, and they break down the Asian Tour USD39 million offered for season.

After deducting Majors and European events (the ones 99% of the players cannot compete in) the guys are playing for only $7 mill same as year 2000.... good marketing huh....

Thats why USA is fantastic, one day events, 2 day events up to 4 dayers, some of the bigger minitours have ranking schools, but basically you pay your in...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 am

I'm looping for my friend here who joined it just for fun.

Dun even need to walk. Share the buggy and hand him clubs. Laughing

If he ever makes it somehow, I'm staying put. Razz
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am

One of my good Aussie mates has come out of retirement and playing again, he will compete in NZ which are Co-sanctioned Nationwide..

He wins one were off...... Very Happy finished top 20 in the state PGA couple of weeks ago and won a Pro -Am so he is playing well...
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 10:05 am

Years ago I heard an amateur hit a HIO and the prize was a car. He faced the same dilemna but finally decided to forgo his amateur status for the prize. It was mentioned that he has to remain under Pro status for a number of years, think like 5 years and during this time he can not play in any amateur competition and after 5 years ( if I remember correctly) he is able to re apply to go back to amateur atatus.

Titu
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 10:55 am

Above 1500 and below 30+k(cannot recall think is 33k), you can apply to reinstate amateur status after 1 year. If more than the 30+ k, it will be two years. You can only do it twice in your life max. And it is subjected to approval by golf association. Doesnt mean you apply to reinstate you will get it.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Tituman wrote:
Years ago I heard an amateur hit a HIO and the prize was a car. He faced the same dilemna but finally decided to forgo his amateur status for the prize. It was mentioned that he has to remain under Pro status for a number of years, think like 5 years and during this time he can not play in any amateur competition and after 5 years ( if I remember correctly) he is able to re apply to go back to amateur atatus.

Titu

Quite likely, for a car maybe good idea, but now he is in limbo land, chances are a 24 handicapper with a lucky shot, now cannot play Am events and certainly cannot play Pro ones, what to do????

At least has a new car lol!
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi guys,

a bit confused. if an amatuer wins a car with the HIO in some charity (Am event) or club Am event, he will lose his amatuer status right?

If he loses his amatuer status, can he still play in future charity and club events? and is he entitled to the HIO prize?

thanks
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm

The competition organiser will state the eligibility for the tournament. so say that the event is open to amateurs with USGA handicap index of 24.0 and below. then He/ She will not be permitted to join in the game, as he /she had violated the amateur status.

Some club permit their members who had violated the amateur status to play in their monthly event. but will not list their score in the result.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Sorry to tell you but if u play amateur open such singapore or melaka or ect... u will earn
1 350 RM
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:
Sorry to tell you but if u play amateur open such singapore or melaka or ect... u will earn
1 350 RM

How was Q school?
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

didnt go because im going first in the pga traineeship first goign july already apply n been acept with playing test n interview
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?   Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Professional & Amateur Status... What's the difference?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next