Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

rust on clubface

Go down 
+15
Joshua
Newtogolf
nicasio
DGman
alvin7379
slinger
abadan
aychuen
S70B
Birdman
kevlye
HyBriD
COG
ghoonk
golfcoma
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 5:57 pm

I've had my irons (jpx e-500) for about a year, but there seems to be a little rust forming on the club face of some of them. The irons are always covered in club covers, and are cleaned after every shot. If I play in the rain, I air them dry after getting home.

Not sure if rust forming on the club face (aside from wedges) is a common occurrence, and if it would affect play. Any comments is appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Iron covers tend to trap moisture, so that may be why rust if forming. Make it a point to air your irons, and even oil it down with a rag and some Singer oil. Iron covers are to protect the irons from dings, not rust.

For wedges, I've been using 'rusty'/raw wedges for a long time, so I'm using to seeing rust on them.
Back to top Go down
COG
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi bro

I actually have a similar problem with my Mizuno MX 300. I also noticed a rust forming on the club face (6 iron). Like you also I use iron covers. I actually read in Mizuno's website (if I can recall correctly) that the use of iron covers is discouraged and is actually bad as it will increase the probability of rust, instead it should be air dry all the time.

I was given a tip by a marshall that it is normal and all you have to do is to spray WD40 to the face and even the shaft, leave it for a few minutes and wipe it with a clean towel before letting it air dry. This is suppose to give a coating to prevent rust and even to eliminate the existing rust to a certain extent. I haven't got myself the WD40 yet but will try. Hope it helps!Smile
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Very interesting, thanks Smile Do you know if rush would affect play in any way?

The other alternative is to let it rust more so that we have another excuse to get more toys, haha.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Rust on your irons will not affect your play.
Some prefer "rust" because it gives a better "back spin" specially on your short irons like wedges.

I prefer my wedge to be "raw"
others whose irons and wedges, would dipped it into "Coke" regular so that rust will start appearing in a few week time.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Speaking of rust, has anyone see the Vega raw heads? I also saw a set of Bridgestone J33 raw forged heads on GolfWRX some time back, been wondering if the rust is really a good thing -- here's why:

on short irons, rust helps with spin by increasing the coefficient of friction between the clubhead and the ball. However, too much spin on the longer irons will cause ballooning, which is why driver design tries to reduce spin rates to prevent ballooning.

hybrid -- thanks for the tip about the irons. I have a set of KZG Forged Z0 blades that I find too brilliant under direct sunlight and have been wondering how to dull the finish. Will try 'Coking' to see if that kills the finish!
Back to top Go down
kevlye
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevlye

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 10:40 am

i've got a couple of really rusty wedges. tried the WD 40 and even brasso.....doesn't work. anyone with a better solution?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Try Autosol. Works better and faster than Brasso but a word of caution, it is a mild abrasive. It will remove all the rust but there will be remnants of the oxidation left still. They'll be minute greyish black lines.
Back to top Go down
kevlye
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevlye

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 1:24 pm

thanks, Birdman! will give it a try.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 2:26 pm

Just use fine sandpaper. Rust confirm come off.
Back to top Go down
kevlye
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevlye

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 5:46 pm

thanks, S70B! didn't think of sandpaper because worried about the grooves. but i guess fine one should be ok. will try.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 pm

I have done it for all my rusted clubs. Wun take too much off.

You can try steel wool or even those 2 in 1 golf brushes where 1 side is a normal brush and the other r the metal bristles. Works too.
Back to top Go down
aychuen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
aychuen

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 pm

please dont use WD40.. u can take the rust away for the time being, but it will erode the protective coat on the metal. and more rust to come later.

i learn it from my father.. not sure its 100% accurate.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 am

I recently got a set of Taylormade, Tour preferred MB irons. only had them for a few months and is already showing rust on a number of clubfaces. Not all. just some.

I called the Rep at TM and they asked me to bring it in for them to have a look.

I read about similar problems on another forum, and the person got her clubs replaced with new ones.

Problem is.. i've already changed the shafts and did some adjustments. what's gg happen to my shafts? gotta spend money to fit them again? Sad
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 am

abadan wrote:
I recently got a set of Taylormade, Tour preferred MB irons. only had them for a few months and is already showing rust on a number of clubfaces. Not all. just some.

I called the Rep at TM and they asked me to bring it in for them to have a look.

I read about similar problems on another forum, and the person got her clubs replaced with new ones.

Problem is.. i've already changed the shafts and did some adjustments. what's gg happen to my shafts? gotta spend money to fit them again? Sad

do u use irons covers???

after a wet day on the course, its important u remove the iron covers....

fine sand paper (1000 or 2000 series) shd remove the rust...
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 am

play no enough... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 am

corrosion will always happen when there is sand between the ball the and club head surface on impact. if you want your irons to be sparkling corrosion free....just keep them at home and don't bring them to the range especially those range on grass where sand is abundant...even better don't play with them and keep them soaked in oil.

alternatively go for titanium surface or stainless steel clubs so that it will never corrode.

lastly the golf clubs are meant to be hit just like football boots are meant to go through mud and a lot of wear.

all brands that are made with carbon, mild steel, regardless of price will have surface corrosion when played on a course. with or without cover.

i honestly don't understand the fuss.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
nicasio
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 am

Better still keep buying a new one for every game so ur irons won't be rusty.....hahahahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:57 am

Yeah.. i usually clean them after every round. Air them out abit b4 putting the covers back on.

Spoke to the guys at TM. They ask me bring in the clubs let Jeff have a look. Might be able to get a new set.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 pm

DGman wrote:
corrosion will always happen when there is sand between the ball the and club head surface on impact. if you want your irons to be sparkling corrosion free....just keep them at home and don't bring them to the range especially those range on grass where sand is abundant...even better don't play with them and keep them soaked in oil.

alternatively go for titanium surface or stainless steel clubs so that it will never corrode.

lastly the golf clubs are meant to be hit just like football boots are meant to go through mud and a lot of wear.

all brands that are made with carbon, mild steel, regardless of price will have surface corrosion when played on a course. with or without cover.

i honestly don't understand the fuss.

DGman

Boss.. not making a fuss. just wondering if its normal. I also never really thought much of the lil spots of rust on the clubface. Until i read about it in some forum and the lady got her clubs replaced by TM.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:11 pm

there is a difference between rust and corrosion.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 1:50 pm

No rust = not enough training and playtime.
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Joshua

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Try not to use wd40

It reacts more like a drying agent instead of lub
Back to top Go down
TiVi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 pm

abit off topic, but anyone come across of by applying vaseline on the club head, it will gain extra distance?

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 2:40 pm

TiVi wrote:
abit off topic, but anyone come across of by applying vaseline on the club head, it will gain extra distance?

Must. Resist. Making. Remark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rust on clubface Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on clubface   rust on clubface I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rust on clubface
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next