Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tonyj5
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff! Empty
PostSubject: Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!   Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 am

Lexi Thompson was informed that she received a four stroke penalty as she walked off the 12th hole on Sunday at the ANA Inspiration. 

An email was received by LPGA officials from a viewer about a possible rules infraction during the third round. 

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2017/04/lexi-thompson-receives-4-stroke-penalty.html
Back to top Go down
milkem
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!   Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 1:28 pm

While the way this has unfolded is rather farcical, it is what it is. Fact remains that she has replaced the ball in an improper manner. However, since this was unintentional, she should not be been given a further 2 stroke penalty for "submitting an inaccurate score", that was rather harsh.
Back to top Go down
Sean76
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Sean76

PostSubject: Re: Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!   Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 2:33 pm

milkem wrote:
While the way this has unfolded is rather farcical, it is what it is. Fact remains that she has replaced the ball in an improper manner. However, since this was unintentional, she should not be been given a further 2 stroke penalty for "submitting an inaccurate score", that was rather harsh.

Agreed on that!! Unless she never submit the correct scorecard after being awarded the penalty, then the next 2 penalty can come in play.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!   Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 pm

What is the point of having rules if they are not enforced? And if enforcement is arbitrary, then you will have a whole new spectrum of arguments. If the rules are no good, then suggest and support changes to the rules. Until changes are made, you have to enforce the rules strictly and fairly on everyone. Just my 2cents.
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!   Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Gofnut wrote:
What is the point of having rules if they are not enforced? And if enforcement is arbitrary, then you will have a whole new spectrum of arguments. If the rules are no good, then suggest and support changes to the rules. Until changes are made, you have to enforce the rules strictly and fairly on everyone. Just my 2cents.

Not sure if the enforcement of the 2 stroke penalty for "submission of inaccurate score" is actually fair or not though. At the point of signing, the player is unaware that she has unwittingly incurred a penalty for not placing the ball back to the same position. 

Perhaps the rule on "submission of inaccurate score" could be expanded to cover scenarios like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!   Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!
Page 1 of 1