Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why is this Forum so quiet ?

Go down 
+22
Hogan
mi5trooper
dimpledgolfball
weBirdie
lousyswinger
jB15
haragolfer
TimLai
weesern
nkglfrs
danielleecm
milkem
oldie-newbie
Nam Flog
magpies
hardrock
andrew-golf
flashpacker
garylin
willytan
Turbo
iGOLF
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 11:02 pm

haragolfer wrote:
A case in point yesterday.  Perhaps a testimony to the forum being too successful, I spent the day chatting and meeting with people who had arranged their own monthly medals within a chat group on what's app. A chat group set up by and initiated by people within this forum.  Almost everyone who was there had been active in golf Republic. 

But not a single communication was done through the forum. Nobody needed it like before there was smartphones and groupchats.

Do I miss those days? Yes and no. Who can dispute that chat groups are great for broadcasting and setting up golf games ad hoc and efficient like now.  But that has also meant that what started here as gatherings has evolved to be more modular more controllable in small numbers like what's app chats.

This forum has a place in Singapore, and it can become very relevant and active again, but perhaps not the way we were used to. 

The answer to the million dollar question is, how?

I agree what you said. 
People's behaviour changed, moved from forum to whatsapp group etc. 

What made this forum active, maybe no longer attractive, suitable for current days. 
The direction/strategy for this forum need to adjusted. 

To answer your question, I would try some suggestions. 
1. Some key competence as a forum against fast communication channels. 
could be : intensive discussion on certain topics. 
Knowledge base for newbies.
marketplace ( obviously, it is trend to do shopping online ) 
Organize golf events cross different groups. 

But all these , require the management team's effort.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/igolfsingapore
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 11:05 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
flashpacker wrote:
scratch I see advert banners on this forum. Don't you?

Yes sir I do. But I'm not sure if that means there's revenue. I am internet idiot.

To my understanding, it will generate some revenue for the forum, if the tech team manages  it well.  All those Banners will be bid/offer by some advertisement agency. 

sometimes, renew yearly, if this is managed , it can alway review it and get better offer. 

To be honest, there is not many Ads in this forum.
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 11:07 pm

lousyswinger wrote:
I think there was some kind of virtual game ladder within the forum which promote members to meet up for a round of golf...might increase interaction and promote more chatter? 

Just a suggestion.

I think golfer's time is precious, that may not attract much . 
That's my guess.  This may works well in Hardwarezone
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 11:10 am

If you ask me, I think the main reason is that people have moved to whatsapp groups.
Easier to manage and communicate, you don't even have to unlock your phone to reply to messages. 

No doubt everyone knew each other here before moving on to whatsapp. 

The other possibility is that there are many campers here. People like me who refreshes the forum a few times every day, but posts once in a while. 

Still, even though the forum is quiet, I think it serves its primary function of connecting golfers and information sharing.
Back to top Go down
weBirdie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 11:10 pm

If only we can organize a game within the community here more easily, it wont stop the golf kakis to form whatsapp groups and even create Facebook groups to manage the communications and formation of flights better...

example of facebook page for organizing games here: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/weBirdie/
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 12:53 pm

:-)
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Singapore golf is on the decline that is why the govt is taking back the golf course land. On the range I see new golfers come and go very quickly. Probably it is too hard for them to stay devoted for long.
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 5:21 pm

dimpledgolfball wrote:
If you ask me, I think the main reason is that people have moved to whatsapp groups.
Easier to manage and communicate, you don't even have to unlock your phone to reply to messages. 

No doubt everyone knew each other here before moving on to whatsapp. 

The other possibility is that there are many campers here. People like me who refreshes the forum a few times every day, but posts once in a while. 

Still, even though the forum is quiet, I think it serves its primary function of connecting golfers and information sharing.

But if is going to be quiet like this, less and less people will visit here. 
The primary function of this forum becomes weak and weak.
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 5:25 pm

Hogan wrote:
Singapore golf is on the decline that is why the govt is taking back the golf course land. On the range I see new golfers come and go very quickly. Probably it is too hard for them to stay devoted for long.
Is that true ? 
Although heard about several news about gov is going to take over some golf course lands in coming years. 
but I still think Golf is consider a popular game , which more and more people start to pick up it . 

New golfers may need more friends to motivate and few golfers to play together with. 
Which I found how important to keep this kind of forum live is for newbies.
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 5:27 pm

weBirdie wrote:
If only we can organize a game within the community here more easily, it wont stop the golf kakis to form whatsapp groups and even create Facebook groups to manage the communications and formation of flights better...

example of facebook page for organizing games here: 
Anyway, this was discussed early, I think the forum and Whatsapp serves different purposes. 
FB page could be quite similar to the forum, that's a challenge for all forums.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 5:54 pm

I for one am guilty n one of those who "disappeared" for a while... Maybe the 'poison' from the marketplace wore off after accumulating too many items lol... yes i remember we used to hv v interesting and engaging discourse on all kinds of golf matters, clubfitting vs swing correction by coach... whether golf equipment sold by some shops are indeed genuine JDMs or copy CDMs.. tips and great makan places to go after a round of golf in JB... contributions by fitters and professionals and golf agents - some purely commercial others positively sharing their expertise... Tho hv not contributed much in terms of posts hv always popped by quietly to hv a look see at whats happening and yes whats on sale.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Please make some noise....
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 6:39 am

flashpacker wrote:
Ok.... some noise Razz Razz Razz

Now, going back MIA again Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
izzx11
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 9:41 am

Noise is here. Quiet pls Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
dimpledgolfball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 9:57 am

so when was the heydays of this forum? 2008?
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 9:59 am

flashpacker wrote:
%$*#-@(*&6%$##%&*(&?>:<{")(&!#&#$*$
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 am

flashpacker wrote:
OK ... pls on your PC speaker to the max!
Back to top Go down
golfjunk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfjunk

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 12:23 am

I joined this forum to look for kaki's to play in Malaysia, since 2008. My usual kaki's are mostly single handicapper....but here i find peers who are similar level as me (HCP 24...if they have 36 prob I will be 36). Of course, once a while I have to join the crocodile/Buaya in this forum. 

The key part that attracted me to the forum was the immerse sharing of golf information. I can still find it here and I still love to read them....just don't post anymore....err i think HCP 36 cant share much.

I receive email if someone response to post I wrote. If some marketing effort such as email every 3 - 6 months to users on the happenings on the forum will remind lazy users like me to login and take a look and maybe post. (just a though please don't kill me) Sad

My personal and work life do not allow me to play much golf and I have to hide some corner (from my wife) to type this post   Razz

Hope you folks have a wonder and prosperous Chinese new year
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why is this Forum so quiet ?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3