Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why is this Forum so quiet ?

Go down 
+22
Hogan
mi5trooper
dimpledgolfball
weBirdie
lousyswinger
jB15
haragolfer
TimLai
weesern
nkglfrs
danielleecm
milkem
oldie-newbie
Nam Flog
magpies
hardrock
andrew-golf
flashpacker
garylin
willytan
Turbo
iGOLF
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Why is this Forum so quiet ?  Empty
PostSubject: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Only few posts a day , very quiet forum . 

Do you feel the same ?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/igolfsingapore
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Many years ago igolf sold golf apparels. Now it has changed to selling golf tour package?
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 7:27 pm

I believed that the main draw for this forum is the market place but since the imprimentation of 50 posts to sell things has steadily slowed down the traffic of people coming here.
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 7:51 pm

willytan wrote:
I believed that the main draw for this forum is the market place but since the imprimentation of 50 posts to sell things has steadily slowed down the traffic of people coming here.
agree. marketplace helps to draw crowd although not 100% will contribute in other forums.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Because JCC and keppel are closing?
So the fraternity lost quite a few good men
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 8:22 pm

everyone is busy?
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Maybe lesser gathering or golf games
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Bcos hardrock no longer come online as often la.
Back to top Go down
magpies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 11:05 pm

tbh they should really reduced the number of post needed for the marketplace. Look at TSG. Even they do not need a limited amount of post. Having 50 is way too much.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Magpies,
I hear you.
But this is the same that high hdcpper should be teeing off from white.
Wait till hdcp is below 18 before playing from Blue Tee.

Why is this place so quiet?
Maybe it's also because Judith is gone
Back to top Go down
magpies
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 1:02 am

flashpacker wrote:
Magpies,
I hear you.
But this is the same that high hdcpper should be teeing off from white.
Wait till hdcp is below 18 before playing from Blue Tee.

Why is this place so quiet?
Maybe it's also because Judith is gone
Till the day I play scratch at white, then i will move on to blue. 

I have no issues if they want to set it at 50. I don't really care. But if they want to know why is this forum so quiet, than I believe this is the reason. I am less frequent on this forum than I am at tsg, golf site and golfwrx because of the post limit.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 am

Long time since I posted, but here goes.

My opinion is that the forum quiet down because of 2 reasons. The mods and admins and pros have almost disappeared. And that discussions and opinions often end up in debates or mild arguments, probably some ego in play.

When I first joined, the forum was active and I will check from my handphone and make some replies as well. Members with their names in orange and yellow and red will always post and make it lively, some policing of errant members in the marketplace, some advice on golf swings from the names in red. I don't see these now.

I remember shorthitter having a tiff here with another member and he quit the forum. I remember when some post about swing mechanics and the thread always ends with "go see a professional coach". Somehow I just wished the forum became less opinionated and everybody just take themselves less seriously. Of course we know the best thing is to see a coach, but come on let's just talk and share about what works for us individually, and keep an open mind.

I do not think the 50 posts is an issue at all. When I first joined, yes I wanted in on the market place. But I just started some genuine threads and within 2 weeks (I think) I clocked more than 50 posts. When you are genuinely passionate about the game, it is very very easy to clock 50 posts (not the judith way).

The main draw for this forum should be enthusiastic and non-judgemental members, where everybody can immerse themselves in golf talk and what happened in their last game and how to improve. The main draw for this forum should be camaraderie and the spirit of making new friends in golf. I believe the forum pioneers started this forum in this spirit, and not the market place.

My thoughts on why this forum has quiet down……..just thinking out loud.
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 9:00 am

I think its just coz people are slowing down and the people taking up golf is on the decline.

For people like myself working a 9 - 5 job, having to take leave during weekdays with the mercy of the weather as well as the high cost of playing and jams and long duration of the game during weekends, and with the climate (literally and figuratively) in Singapore, it is not very conducive.

I just feel that the game is dying all over the world. Reality is that golf courses in land scared Singapore competing with development, we all know who is on the losing end.

Some might say if the passion is there it will thrives within oneself. I agree but the family and nation support must also be a factor. A golf game does take up a pretty large chunk of ones time when there are other priorities in ones life.

LKY - " I used to play golf, but found it did not give me vitality because it’s a slothful game… Nine holes of golf will take you one and a half, two hours. I run in 20 minutes, I feel better off"
Back to top Go down
milkem
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 10:03 am

I think Forum dynamics in general can be quite off-putting for the majority of members. Most forums tend eventually end up with a handful of active members, who more often than not, tend to let their ego get the better of themselves. Many become haughty and almost dictator-like. Cliques form, and then the Forum tends to become like their personal playground. And then the Forum usually dies a natural death while those who have been marginalised may head off elsewhere to start a new Forum.

The above views are just general observations based on my experience with numerous Forums over the years, on very wide-ranging topics, based both locally and overseas, and in no way specifically referring to this Forum.
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 10:05 am

do agree with this statement from our founding father..... "LKY - " I used to play golf, but found it did not give me vitality because it’s a slothful game… Nine holes of golf will take you one and a half, two hours. I run in 20 minutes, I feel better off"
But, one thing to note in golf which many may or might have miss out....it the self challenge and achievement one can give to himself or herself. The "concentration and mediation" in golf is immerse and often beneficial in personal life....last but not least, our founding father could have given up golf because of the stage in life as we grew older...the energy may not be as much and given his strong character, I believe he wish to have more time with his family as well as his beloved country....
Regardless, lets all keep the spirit of the game going and golfya!!!
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 2:47 pm

actually i think we simply do not have enough volume to sustain a high energy forum.

Profiles of golfers are also such that most are not forum aware/enthusiasts.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Nam Flog wrote:

My opinion is that the forum quiet down because of 2 reasons. The mods and admins and pros have almost disappeared. And that discussions and opinions often end up in debates or mild arguments, probably some ego in play.

When I first joined, the forum was active and I will check from my handphone and make some replies as well. Members with their names in orange and yellow and red will always post and make it lively, some policing of errant members in the marketplace, some advice on golf swings from the names in red. I don't see these now.

I remember shorthitter having a tiff here with another member and he quit the forum. I remember when some post about swing mechanics and the thread always ends with "go see a professional coach". Somehow I just wished the forum became less opinionated and everybody just take themselves less seriously. Of course we know the best thing is to see a coach, but come on let's just talk and share about what works for us individually, and keep an open mind.

I do not think the 50 posts is an issue at all. When I first joined, yes I wanted in on the market place. But I just started some genuine threads and within 2 weeks (I think) I clocked more than 50 posts. When you are genuinely passionate about the game, it is very very easy to clock 50 posts (not the judith way).

The main draw for this forum should be enthusiastic and non-judgemental members, where everybody can immerse themselves in golf talk and what happened in their last game and how to improve. The main draw for this forum should be camaraderie and the spirit of making new friends in golf. I believe the forum pioneers started this forum in this spirit, and not the market place.

Well said Nam Flog.
Yes this forum is to make new friends, not really to sell things
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 5:18 pm

danielleecm wrote:
do agree with this statement from our founding father..... "LKY - " I used to play golf, but found it did not give me vitality because it’s a slothful game… Nine holes of golf will take you one and a half, two hours. I run in 20 minutes, I feel better off"
But, one thing to note in golf which many may or might have miss out....it the self challenge and achievement one can give to himself or herself. The "concentration and mediation" in golf is immerse and often beneficial in personal life....last but not least, our founding father could have given up golf because of the stage in life as we grew older...the energy may not be as much and given his strong character, I believe he wish to have more time with his family as well as his beloved country....

I think he was playing with slow golfers. Haha.
Thats why he quit.
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 5:45 pm

danielleecm wrote:

You just made me remember him again , tears falling.
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 5:47 pm

willytan wrote:

I second this . 
50 Posts is quite a lot, I hardly see this in other forums. 
Normally 20 or less.
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 5:57 pm

Nam Flog wrote:

Well said. I think a active forum needs all kinds of people . 
Including enthusiast, judgmental  members, someone like Judith, someone like you. 
Where Admin and Mods to play a important role, balance between different groups of people, encourage various voices. 
If someone raised 50 is the draw for stop ppl coming, how about adjust it to 25? 
This is a example, what other things can be done to improve the forum vitality ? 
I believe this need to be review and assessed on regular basis, instead of seeing it being so quite and dying....
Back to top Go down
iGOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 6:00 pm

BTW, I dont see any other colors posting . except one orange color. 
Without you mentioned that, I even dont notice there is different color code for diff IDs.
If you seeing on the right hand side for the latest discussions. 

So weird, even those active IDs are not posting anything.
Back to top Go down
nkglfrs
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 7:36 pm

People make friends here, meet up for golf/range, exchange numbers, switch to whatsapp groups.

No need to communicate thru forums anymore
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 8:42 pm

I did not join the forum to sell stuff, used to have interesting topics to read but now usually sees WTS/WTB...

It used to be 20 posts and increased to 50 coz 20 is too easy to achieve and once they sell their stuff, they disappear until the next time they need to sell.

When the forum was set up, it is not for users to sell their stuff but to interact. I would say WTS section is only a good to have.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 12:08 am

I disagree with igolf's suggestion of reducing the no. of posts to 25 to earn the right to sell stuff in the marketplace. Pls allow me to remind you that The primary objectives of this forum is for like-minded individuals to make friends, share and exchange info on golf related lobangs, to participate in golf outings organize by fellow members ... etc. selling stuff in the marketplace should be secondary to the above-mentioned objectives in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why is this Forum so quiet ?    Why is this Forum so quiet ?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why is this Forum so quiet ?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next