Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

==An Unpleasant Encounter==

Go down 
+17
SG Golfer
haragolfer
hurray
Golf noob
yaozza07
Denmeister
Beneoo
hkhamateur
andrew-golf
beehome
yogibear
peter.golfer
Balata88
willytan
chien
flashpacker
HitSoft
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

==An Unpleasant Encounter== Empty
PostSubject: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Dear all, 

I was having an enjoyable round of golf yesterday evening at NSRCC when a ball came landing into the greenside bunker pin high when my dad and I were on the green. 

It came as a complete shock because while we have had our fair share of encounters with impatient golfers taking shots that land 8-10m away, we have never once encountered a golfer that dared to take a shot with a club running pin high when there were people putting out on the green. 

This was witnessed by the flight ahead of us on an adjacent tee box, and needless to say we were all pretty shocked.

A couple of things which pissed me off:

1. He did not shout fore/ball, and did not bother driving up to apologise for such brazen behaviour. 

2. After that hole when we were on the adjacent tee box, he drove past us without so much coming up to apologise, until my dad told him "that wasn't a very nice thing to do"

3. His response: "Don't worry guys I was INTENTIONALLY AIMING AT THE BUNKER". I was quiet until then, but told him straight up that was ridiculous because IT WAS PIN HIGH WITH THE FLAG and we were on the green putting out. He then said "yeah sorry won't do it again". It wasn't even a sincere apology, and that was what pissed the @!#$ out of me. 

Moreover, my dad and I are pretty decent golfers, and we were more than keeping up with the flights in front. 

My dad thought not to pursue the matter further after we concluded the round, and did not want to lodge a formal complaint with the marshals. Nonetheless, I found it disgusting and it frustrates me just thinking about it. I was certainly not brought up or taught to play golf this way by my dad and also the coaches I have had, and it was no way to behave especially when he was playing with his own son. 

I am undecided whether to file a formal complaint against the said golfer for his conduct, and would like to know what you guys think. I mentioned it in passing to a marshal upon picking up my bag, and he went up to the fella and all the fella said was "oh ya I apologised already". I was standing right there, and he did not care for a glance towards us. 

I certainly hope everyone plays with a little more patience, and enjoy the precious moments of golf because I for one, treasure these little moments I have with my dad who enjoys this little game so very much. Nothing spoils this beautiful game more than acts of blatant asshole-behaviour (though having cat 1 storms happening almost every afternoon comes close). 

Cheers, 
Hitsoft.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 4:07 pm

HitSoft wrote:
Dear all, 

I was having an enjoyable round of golf yesterday evening at NSRCC when a ball came landing into the greenside bunker pin high when my dad and I were on the green. 

It came as a complete shock because while we have had our fair share of encounters with impatient golfers taking shots that land 8-10m away, we have never once encountered a golfer that dared to take a shot with a club running pin high when there were people putting out on the green. 

This was witnessed by the flight ahead of us on an adjacent tee box, and needless to say we were all pretty shocked.

A couple of things which pissed me off:

1. He did not shout fore/ball, and did not bother driving up to apologise for such brazen behaviour. 

2. After that hole when we were on the adjacent tee box, he drove past us without so much coming up to apologise, until my dad told him "that wasn't a very nice thing to do"

3. His response: "Don't worry guys I was INTENTIONALLY AIMING AT THE BUNKER". I was quiet until then, but told him straight up that was ridiculous because IT WAS PIN HIGH WITH THE FLAG and we were on the green putting out. He then said "yeah sorry won't do it again". It wasn't even a sincere apology, and that was what pissed the @!#$ out of me. 

Moreover, my dad and I are pretty decent golfers, and we were more than keeping up with the flights in front. 

My dad thought not to pursue the matter further after we concluded the round, and did not want to lodge a formal complaint with the marshals. Nonetheless, I found it disgusting and it frustrates me just thinking about it. I was certainly not brought up or taught to play golf this way by my dad and also the coaches I have had, and it was no way to behave especially when he was playing with his own son. 

I am undecided whether to file a formal complaint against the said golfer for his conduct, and would like to know what you guys think. I mentioned it in passing to a marshal upon picking up my bag, and he went up to the fella and all the fella said was "oh ya I apologised already". I was standing right there, and he did not care for a glance towards us. 

I certainly hope everyone plays with a little more patience, and enjoy the precious moments of golf because I for one, treasure these little moments I have with my dad who enjoys this little game so very much. Nothing spoils this beautiful game more than acts of blatant asshole-behaviour (though having cat 1 storms happening almost every afternoon comes close). 

Cheers, 
Hitsoft.

Chill. Most importantly, the ball didnt hit any of you.
Dont let others idiotic behavior spoil your game
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi HitSoft

Regardless whether he apologised to you or not during the game, you reserve the right to lodge a complaint against him at the golf office. 

From what you said at pure face value,  i suggest you submit what you have written here with some details like flight tee time and buggy number if you still remember. This golfer apparently did not honour the spirit and safety of the game.  This should be seriously looked into and I assure you, he would do the same in future to other golfers.

Wishing you and your dad a Blessed Christmas!
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 5:02 pm

TS,

Like what fellow GRian said, u shld lodge a formal complaint and serve it as a warning for what he has done. Whatever the reason or circumstances, the golfer is wrong to take the shot when there is still ppl on the green. 

Let's be patient and enjoy this gentlemen game.
Back to top Go down
Balata88
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Balata88

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi HS,

I would strongly suggest for you to lodge a complaint against the player / flight. This is also for the safety of other golfers as well; obviously the culprit has no regard for human lives / safety and will surely repeat the same offence again. No sense in endangering fellow golfers' lives with such impatient attitude.

We don't need such inconsiderate golfers on the course.
Back to top Go down
peter.golfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
peter.golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 6:40 pm

File your complain. Personally NSRCC is really too crowded and the marshals are partly to be blame too. They also keep pushing the flight to go faster even tbough you are ahead of time. 

Somehow they don't seem to understand, the more we rushed, the worst the shot is. And the game become s even slower
Back to top Go down
yogibear
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
yogibear

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Pls do all of us a favour and make a complaint against this arsehole. 

We have our fair share of complaining of slow flights in front and ppl taking ages to aim and putt....but to hit a ball on the green while ppl are still putting is totally unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 6:58 pm

I don't understand the hesitation. I would have made a complaint on the spot as the apology was not sincere.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 7:06 pm

Spare the cane and spoil the child

This kinda of golfer should be taken to task
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Hey bro, why regret when he do hit someone later! No
He's no respect for any life! Mad
File the complaint again him pls. Crying or Very sad
Thks and Happy Merry Xmas. santa

Last edited by hkhamateur on Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Beneoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Beneoo

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 10:22 pm

Please action as this 'Bo Tak Che' people needs to be barred from this game..
Back to top Go down
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 2:51 am

Thank you for the comments and sharing everyone. It's great to know that most golfers here share the same sentiments about such behavior. I think it's very nice and heartening to know the majority of us appreciate the etiquette of the game, even as golf courses get crazily crowded and we sometimes find ourselves being rushed through a round.
I suppose my dad refrained from blowing the matter up further with the marshal and the person in an "ah forget it" kind of way even though we were both disgusted by the act, especially when he was with his young son.
In the spirit of Christmas and forgiveness, I guess we will not write a formal complaint to the golf department, and we both hope that he has understood the sensibility of not intentionally hitting pin high shots when people are on the green after this encounter, and perhaps come to be a more responsible golfer.
We will certainly not hesitate to lodge a formal complaint should this happen again.
Thanks to all of you for being great golfers Smile I've met my fair share of nice people on the course, and I'm glad all of you fellow GR members share the same love and passion for the game and it's culture!
Merry Christmas everyone Smile
Back to top Go down
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 2:56 am

peter.golfer wrote:
File your complain. Personally NSRCC is really too crowded and the marshals are partly to be blame too. They also keep pushing the flight to go faster even tbough you are ahead of time. 

Somehow they don't seem to understand, the more we rushed, the worst the shot is. And the game become s even slower
Hi Peter, I certainly agree and have noticed that NSRCC is getting very crowded. It's surprising because the golf population is claimed to be dwindling especially in the states, but it seems to have in fact increased here in Singapore. 
I remember being able to tee off st 4.30pm for 9 holes at changi and be able to finish the round by 7.15pm latest. Right now, it seems that 7 holes is considered a reasonably good expectation already.
Wonder if this is a problem of poor screening of PC/Handicap, or just the fact that there are too many flights scheduled for the same day.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 7:28 am

HitSoft wrote:
peter.golfer wrote:

Hi Peter, I certainly agree and have noticed that NSRCC is getting very crowded. It's surprising because the golf population is claimed to be dwindling especially in the states, but it seems to have in fact increased here in Singapore. 
I remember being able to tee off st 4.30pm for 9 holes at changi and be able to finish the round by 7.15pm latest. Right now, it seems that 7 holes is considered a reasonably good expectation already.
Wonder if this is a problem of poor screening of PC/Handicap, or just the fact that there are too many flights scheduled for the same day.

Wow! 430pm tee off and finish by 715pm???? That's almost a 3 hour 9h round!!!!

To be fair to the marshals, I now understand why they need to push the pace of play.

My club has a healthy 9h community that also starts around 430pm. We would usually finish our games by 630pm latest barring any bad weather.  

And all of us are walking too! 

However, I do agree that if the marshals push too hard, the Shots will be compromised and that will also delay the game.  I have played a couple of times in Singapore and the experiences were not very enjoyable as it seems like every shot is rushed.  The funny thing is, with the rush, the games took longer. 

Go figure.
Back to top Go down
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 10:22 am

Yup having the first flight in the evening for 9 holes doesn't seem to make much of a difference when you're stuck behind the last flight from the afternoon 18 holes. 
It is my thought that they have perhaps tried to squeeze in too many flights at too short an interval (7mins).
Or maybe there just is that many golfers in Singapore after all!
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 10:52 am

I dont think it's due to too many flights.
The weekend warriors in changi nsrcc are known to be slow.
I know 1 group of regulars who usually take 10-15min each time on the green.
Maybe they are playing for the Masters.

Also with cat 1 these days. 9h may be delayed due to slow crossovers
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Aiming for the bunker? What a joke! 

Have you ever stood on a shot and said "cmon, bunker time, oh yeah"?
Back to top Go down
HitSoft
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 1:05 pm

yaozza07 wrote:

Yes I thought it was ridiculous too to take a pin high club and aim for the bunker. Even a tour pro hits bad shots much less an amateur golfer, and to have the cheek to say that with such arrogance was my main gripe with him.
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 7:39 pm

yaozza07 wrote:

LMAO Laughing
Back to top Go down
hurray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 9:44 pm

yaozza07 wrote:

He was trying to do a Hole (Big) In One  Razz

Seriously, TS should report this incident.  It is a very dangerous act and this ppl should be given warning or banned from playing.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 10:14 pm

Dear hitsoft, apologising is simply not enough in this case. He intentionally picked a club that would go pin high. I think I speak for the rest of us to please ban him from the course. Do lodge a complaint. The next guy on the green could be us and we might not be so lucky that he was more accurate than Jordan Spieth. What an a- hole. Sorry you had such trash playing behind you.
Back to top Go down
SG Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
SG Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Yes...please report him and hopefully he get banned before someone is injured by his selfish ways
Back to top Go down
mambo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 7:49 pm

I agree that such arrogant and nonchalant attitude should be report.....but isn't it a bit late now?
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 7:59 pm

i think its still ok. they will have records of who are the guys behind your flight and they will question them one by one

just FYI

in NSRCC, if they are found to be reckless, the whole flight will be given a warning only. cos its not serious enough to warrant a suspension

Same thing happened to me in Kranji 2 years back. The club officials told me if i want them to be suspended, it wont be that easy. But they will surely call them up to interview them and the most they can do is a warning letter

but i told the club officials I'm not out for blood. i jus wanna ensure that they admit that they are rash and neglect safety. and to never do it again. 

the club officials acknowledge that.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 8:03 pm

anyone that are fairly successful in life have their own right to be arrogant and nonchalant.

but if they put other lives in danger, thats a whole different level

this chap needs to know that he was childish and put you and your flight mates lives in danger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ==An Unpleasant Encounter==   ==An Unpleasant Encounter== I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

==An Unpleasant Encounter==
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.