Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

correct putting stroke?

Go down 
+10
rocky
DGman
The Golfing Machine
Right_sided_coach
jaketang
S70B
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
Technospaz
sniffydog
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

correct putting stroke? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Cool, at least it's not unorthodox method then.

How do you manage to keep still, everytime I hover it, my hand will be shaking a bit and it makes me wonder whether I will hit it squarely or not
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:17 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Does anyone here putt without resting the putter on the ground (kind of hanging in the air)?

Bro Technospaz and Camilio not sure if you noticed yesterday, but Mr. SYK actually rest the putter on the ground to align and just before swinging, he lifted up the putter slightly (less than 0.5 cm) and proceed with the back swing.

It actually makes a lot of sense to me since there will be no resistance during the back swing i.e. I tried it on the putting matt... as predicted, easy backswing but messed up because my hand started to shake a bit. I gues it will take a little more practice to perfect it.

But, rather than practising the wrong thing, can I check whether this is a correct way of putting or am i doing it wrong all this time by having the putter graze the floor?
Well, I understand that to some it might be correct since they have been practising it for ages, but my question is more to the mechanics of putting swing and which swing is the putter designed for.

I didn't notice that but I can see why it would make sense. I'm not accustomed to it though. I need to graze the ground on my backswing to know that I'm on "the level." It's not a perfect routine as you know but I'm quite used to it. Perhaps I'll give bro SYK's method a try and see if it works.

To me, putting is very personal. I'm not sure if you noticed my grip when I put. Many have found it quite unorthodox. I actually have my index finger jutting out to help align the club. It's something which I was taught many years ago and I've stuck to it since.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:17 pm

bro, if u can average 30 putts / rd, tht's very very good liao......
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:22 pm

jaketang wrote:

Sorry, i think i kinda got ahead with myself there. To clarify, it's between 30 - 34 putts / rd, on familiar greens. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:25 pm

who8168 wrote:
jaketang wrote:

Sorry, i think i kinda got ahead with myself there. To clarify, it's between 30 - 34 putts / rd, on familiar greens. Embarassed

bro, u must be quite good too...

i think 30putts can give u ard low 80's score.... even in the 70's if your gir is high..
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:30 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Cool, at least it's not unorthodox method then.

How do you manage to keep still, everytime I hover it, my hand will be shaking a bit and it makes me wonder whether I will hit it squarely or not

I just keep still, exhale, then rock my shoulders back in a smooth tempo.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:34 pm

jaketang wrote:
who8168 wrote:
jaketang wrote:

bro, u must be quite good too...

i think 30putts can give u ard low 80's score.... even in the 70's if your gir is high..

You hit it right on the nail there! I only manage low 90's & high 80's b'cos of my chipping and putting. My fairway hits are about 5/14, & GIR about 5/18. Still lots of things to work on.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:37 pm

wow... anytime better then me.... keep it up...

now i only concentrate in finding the joy in playing golf.. Sad no need to play too well but juz to enjoy the game to the fullest...
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Bro JT, absolutely true... a lot of times we got caught up with the score that we forget to enjoy the game and the beauty of the course.

Bro TS, it is truly personal... but something that is trained over and over again will eventually become personal as well ;-)

Bro who8168, do you immediately start your backswing once you lift up a bit or you hover a while bit more?
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:55 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Bro who8168, do you immediately start your backswing once you lift up a bit or you hover a while bit more?

After i raise it off the ground, i hold for about 0.5 to 1 sec (to exhale & stabilize), then backswing.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:03 pm

Thanks for the pointer, i will try to incorporate my current handsy swing first... until bopian then will rock the shoulder
good putt
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:07 pm

who8168 wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:

After i raise it off the ground, i hold for about 0.5 to 1 sec (to exhale & stabilize), then backswing.

I thought that you would hold your breath for precision, which is what snipers do. Trust me, I've played Call of Duty Razz Seriously, I was told that when you putt, hold your breath at the backswing and possibly exhale when you downswing for a smooth followthrough. I could be mistaken though.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:10 pm

No sir, for shooting, you breath in normally, exhale half your breath, hold/pause, then squeeze the trigger. My golf coach also teach me the same thing for both full swing & putting (maybe b'cos both of us were Army ex-regulars) Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 pm

who8168 wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:
Does anyone here putt without resting the putter on the ground (kind of hanging in the air)?

Bro Technospaz and Camilio not sure if you noticed yesterday, but Mr. SYK actually rest the putter on the ground to align and just before swinging, he lifted up the putter slightly (less than 0.5 cm) and proceed with the back swing.

It actually makes a lot of sense to me since there will be no resistance during the back swing i.e. I tried it on the putting matt... as predicted, easy backswing but messed up because my hand started to shake a bit. I gues it will take a little more practice to perfect it.

But, rather than practising the wrong thing, can I check whether this is a correct way of putting or am i doing it wrong all this time by having the putter graze the floor?
Well, I understand that to some it might be correct since they have been practising it for ages, but my question is more to the mechanics of putting swing and which swing is the putter designed for.

I do that. It's been a habit i developed when i started playing 4 yrs ago. Then i still can't putt for my life, & sometimes i brush the green a little too much on my forward stroke. So i lift the putter just a couple of mm to prevent that from happening. Now even though my putting has improved (in my own standard lah, around 30 strokes per round), i still hover my putter before my takeaway.

Try hitting down on your putts...
But before anyone says anything...let me clarify.

1. I am not asking you to hit it sandwedge style - just a slight brush downwards - this will ensure that your putter's sweetspot is in contact with the top part of the ball.

Constant impact with the sweetspot of any club will teach you feel.

Feel is like a mathematical equation.

Length of stroke + sweetspot impact = (x) distance

Most people are unable to control distance as they lack feel because their impact is any where but the sweetspot.
Only when one has consistent impact on the sweetspot can a variation in backstroke length cause a proper change in distance.

Every quarter of inch you hit off the sweetspot will cause you to lose 10% of total effective force on the ball.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 5:34 am

So Mickelson's way of forward bend before the backswing will actually help.

Btw TGM won't his cause the ball to slightly jump and therefore creating a slightly more erratic movement?

In regards to sweetspot, when I ground the putter (blade style), seems that the sweetspot a tad lower than the furthest end of the ball. So it leads me to believe that either hover the putter or hit it down as you mentioned above. Pls correct me if I'm wrong...
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 am

A forward bend like Mickelson requires extra loft on the putter.
Just a slight brush downwards will do.
A chip style approach will cause the jumps - slight brush is the key. Smile
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:27 am

the correct putting stroke is whatever stroke that gets you in the hole.

with at most 2 putts, of course.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:36 am

Even snooker style?
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: correct putting stroke?   correct putting stroke? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

correct putting stroke?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2