Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons

Go down 
+2
Derek
alchia
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alchia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons Empty
PostSubject: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 7:27 am

Hi guys,

Been reading a lot here and never posting anything before. I've played golf for a while (10+ years) but never got serious with it. Usually play once every few months, or even years.

About 2 years ago, I started to play more and got a used set of Titleist 690cb irons from my coach's lobang for a cheap price. Before that, but I was using my dad's hand me downs from the 90s.

After practicing more and more, it seems like it's difficult to enjoy the game when the consistency of my balls are this bad. I tried the Cobra Baffler clubs at the range and boy, do they go high and straight!

I believe I'm quite rational in making purchases, have held off for a long time. My driver, wood and putter are still my dad's ones from the 90s. They work alright I guess.

I'm thinking of changing to SGI irons to make the game more fun. Do you think this is a right choice or should I keep practicing with the Titleist?

Was thinking of 2nd hand options (Ping, Taylormade) until I saw the Baffler XL promotion of 299 at GolfDirect.
Back to top Go down
alchia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 7:28 am

Oh ya, forgot to mention that I would like to move from steel to graphite too.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 8:56 am

Hi alchia, imho anything that helps you enjoy the game is a good thing. If you have tried it, liked it and it performs, you should get it. As for the graphite shaft, is that what you tried? If so, go for it.  

As for the driver and woods, if u are planning to upgrade, no real need to get newest models. There is a pretty big difference in Drivers from 90s to 2008-9 period, smaller differences between 2008-9 to present. 

Happy shopping!
Back to top Go down
alchia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 12:34 pm

Yes, tried the graphite Baffler - was easier to swing naturally due to the heavier head, while my Titleist was all about controlling of the swing. 

However, if I do get the Baffler XL, it means I'll need to get some long irons or hybrids, as I think Bafflers range from 5-P?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Most SGI either offer 5 to P, or includes hybrids as 3i,4i replacements. 

I would advise getting one hybrid as a substitute for 4i first to see if it suits you. Once u find the model that you are comfortable with, u can then buy the same one with a stronger loft to hit further. 

There are a lot of ways to purchase a driver. Custom fitted ones to trial and error method by purchasing what pleases you.  Fitters may also loan out drivers for you to play on the course to ascertain if u like it or not.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi TS,

I have a set of Bridgestone J40 cavity back irons (5-PW) for sale if u game to taste JDM irons. Selling cheap to prevent myself from having a spare set. Actually there are some iron shaft which is easy to launch like graphite but a tab heavier like NS pro or KBS Tour90 IMO. 

http://golfsite.sg/ads/j40-cb-iron-set-4-pw-on-ns-pro-950-r/

As for driver or woods, like some other GRians have commented, there isn't any real improvement in technology to make it longer. I m using a 2008 Tourstage X-blade driver which I bought 2nd hand for $80. It's giving me longer distance n dispersion than my previous TM R1. IMO, the life of a driver or wood comes from the shaft, if u can marry it with the right shaft, it can give u great distance n dispersion.
Back to top Go down
alchia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 7:38 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Most SGI either offer 5 to P, or includes hybrids as 3i,4i replacements. 

I would advise getting one hybrid as a substitute for 4i first to see if it suits you. Once u find the model that you are comfortable with, u can then buy the same one with a stronger loft to hit further. 

There are a lot of ways to purchase a driver. Custom fitted ones to trial and error method by purchasing what pleases you.  Fitters may also loan out drivers for you to play on the course to ascertain if u like it or not.

Good idea on the hybrid. Perhaps may try Adams Idea for the hybrids but that's a question for another day.

Meanwhile, since I use my irons the most on the greens and range, best to get one I can work with for training. 

Just one thing, I don't really like the look of the Cobra Baffler though, compared to my Titleist. Wish for something that looks more subtle.
Back to top Go down
alchia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 8:04 pm

willytan wrote:
Hi TS,

I have a set of Bridgestone J40 cavity back irons (5-PW) for sale if u game to taste JDM irons. Selling cheap to prevent myself from having a spare set. Actually there are some iron shaft which is easy to launch like graphite but a tab heavier like NS pro or KBS Tour90 IMO. 

http://golfsite.sg/ads/j40-cb-iron-set-4-pw-on-ns-pro-950-r/

As for driver or woods, like some other GRians have commented, there isn't any real improvement in technology to make it longer. I m using a 2008 Tourstage X-blade driver which I bought 2nd hand for $80. It's giving me longer distance n dispersion than my previous TM R1. IMO, the life of a driver or wood comes from the shaft, if u can marry it with the right shaft, it can give u great distance n dispersion.

Hi Willy,

My current Titleist irons are cavity back ones, albeit I feel that they are little more difficult than many cbs. Looking to move to even easier irons with graphite shafts preferably. But many thanks for the intro.

On my driver/woods, I'm using hand me downs like a Maruman Titus V1 driver and Maruman Shuttle U4. Just starting to get a hang of them recently. Do they need an upgrade too?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm

I recently purchased a new hybrid. It was a brand that I would have never thought of buying.  It was a good thing that I was able to hit it side by side with other more popular brands. 

Now that it has been in my bag for the past 2 months, I am very happy with this purchase. 

It is a Wilson FG Tour M3 Hybrid.  I tested the Titleist 915, callaways, taylormades, and pings.  The sales assistant suddenly presented me with the Wilson and it went straighter, was more forgiving than the others.  And the best part..... half the price.

That goes to show that if we keep an open mind and buy based on results, we will be able to get clubs that suit our swing and maybe at a lower cost!

By the way, it is also on a regular flexed shaft too...
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 9:59 pm

Titlist irons are designed for mid-low hcp for they have smaller sweet spot as compared to regular CB thus they are actually harder to play.

I have recently bought a used 3i hybrid from Srixon and its served me very well off the tee or FW. Have a open mind and try out as many irons as possible to find the "one" for ur game to improve.
Back to top Go down
jmchan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 11:15 pm

Alchia, which range did you go to try the cobra baffler? Am interested in swinging them as well. Seen them in Golf Direct shops but not sure how they will perform on the range
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 12:15 am

jmchan wrote:
Alchia, which range did you go to try the cobra baffler? Am interested in swinging them as well. Seen them in Golf Direct shops but not sure how they will perform on the range

There were up for demo at MBGC last week, together with Titlist IIRC
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 12:18 am

alchia wrote:
Yes, tried the graphite Baffler - was easier to swing naturally due to the heavier head, while my Titleist was all about controlling of the swing. 

However, if I do get the Baffler XL, it means I'll need to get some long irons or hybrids, as I think Bafflers range from 5-P?
Actually, compared to ur current set of irons, you will probably need more wedges, not long irons. 

Check the actual lofts on the baffler XL, I would suspect the 5i is the same loft as you Titleist 3i.

I would determine what is the gap between your maruman shuttle and the baffler XL 5i before deciding to shop for a hybrid.
Back to top Go down
alchia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 am

jmchan wrote:
I tried them at Toa Payoh Driving Range. Actually am now really thinking about choosing the Ping Karsten vs Baffler now.
Back to top Go down
alchia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 1:02 am

Derek wrote:
alchia wrote:

Actually, compared to ur current set of irons, you will probably need more wedges, not long irons. 

Check the actual lofts on the baffler XL, I would suspect the 5i is the same loft as you Titleist 3i.

I would determine what is the gap between your maruman shuttle and the baffler XL 5i before deciding to shop for a hybrid.

Good idea definitely on the wedge. That's one club I don't have and doesn't seem to need immediately (I usually just give up in the bunkers). But definitely a gap if I do take the game more seriously.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons   Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moving from old Titleist 690.cb to SGI irons
Page 1 of 1