Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tour players' equipment endorsement

Go down 
+3
pocketace
mervyntan
botak
7 posters
AuthorMessage
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

Tour players' equipment endorsement Empty
PostSubject: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:17 pm

I was watching the Australian PGA last night and seeing so many players on the leaderboard using Titleist clubs, it got me thinking about something... do the players go seek contracts with equipment that they want to use or does the manufacturer go after the player (in this case, does the player need to make the equipment work for him no matter what?)?

A few other cases which made me think, why did the player switch equipment? e.g. Els to Callaway - clearly he's not getting the same result as when he was using Titleist. Ok, many other factors here... injury, personal matter with his kid... but he's through that now, right? Should be able to focus on his golf, but his game is no where near the same standard when he was challenging at almost every other tournament.

Care to discuss?
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:43 pm

$$$
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Agree, just $$$. only exception is Ryan Moore on US PGA tour... he did not renew his Ping equip contract, played 2009 seaon on clubs that he like... but I think for 2010 season, he will be contracted to Scratch Golf equip...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 pm

Its all about $$$$$....tats why I try to remind myself that the equipment that the pro uses are because they are good....and their talent and investment in training is not similar to mine which is the opposite of theirs...no talent and no training....

Just like Mr. Woods, does not matter whether he play Dymo or R9 driver...as long fitted properly...he still can hit......
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 7:31 pm

botak wrote:
I was watching the Australian PGA last night and seeing so many players on the leaderboard using Titleist clubs, it got me thinking about something... do the players go seek contracts with equipment that they want to use or does the manufacturer go after the player (in this case, does the player need to make the equipment work for him no matter what?)?

A few other cases which made me think, why did the player switch equipment? e.g. Els to Callaway - clearly he's not getting the same result as when he was using Titleist. Ok, many other factors here... injury, personal matter with his kid... but he's through that now, right? Should be able to focus on his golf, but his game is no where near the same standard when he was challenging at almost every other tournament.

Care to discuss?

Most players on the Aussie tour that use Titleist do not receive any money, in fact some only receive free balls, gloves, shoes, hats, not hardware. Most will use Titleist because of performance. I was with Titleist when in Oz and this was the case. Obviously your Adam Scott type players will be paid but your lower level pros, not the case. I now use Callaway as my brother works for them and I get it at next to nothing price. I do not like Callaway and am going to change to Titleist or Mizuno even if it means having to pay. Interesting how Els, Appleby have done nothing since going to Callaway. Mickelson on the other hand, obviously likes the stuff.
So I think most go to a brand for the $$$. Those guys are that good, they could play with a set of Slazengers as long as the specs are set up for them. I really hate the Callaway ball as well. Prov all the way.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:23 am

Paul, r u using X-22 tours?

The Tour Authentic X Prototype irons are pretty sweet! It was a toss up between that set, Muira Forged blades or the Mizunos.

I went with the cheapest with everything in. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:05 am

S70B wrote:
Paul, r u using X-22 tours?

The Tour Authentic X Prototype irons are pretty sweet! It was a toss up between that set, Muira Forged blades or the Mizunos.

I went with the cheapest with everything in. Embarassed

Hey Rex
I use the X 20 Tours. Before that I had the X forged which I like alot more. As I am not practising and playing much theses days I thought a little more forgiveness would be a better option. The best irons I used were the Titlesit 990's when they first came out. I am leaning towards the Mizzies for my next set
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 pm

As far as I know with most guys with titleist on the Asian tour, they do not get paid but do get bonus for finishing top 10 in the order of merit or winning an event. However most pros choose to use their equipment because they have the best stuff you can find out there and golf ball wise, why wouldn't you want to use a titleist?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tour players' equipment endorsement   Tour players' equipment endorsement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tour players' equipment endorsement
Page 1 of 1