Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newbie choosing club

Go down 
+8
lousyswinger
Derek
Golfish
reallys
Sean76
TaylorMadeKL
willytan
Eferata
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

Newbie choosing club Empty
PostSubject: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi all, 

I post this question is not to prove that
I want to show or act professional or
anything of that sort. I am sincerely
asking and will accept any opinion.

I was told not to use Titleist CB iron
by a few experience golfers. That all 
recommend something more forgiving
Like callaway razr black... Etc...

Before I post this, I also went to check
the difference between cavity back and
blade. Blade is more difficult to hit the
sweet spot. Why newbie should not use 
less forgiving club to train? Isn't it better 
To train with more difficulties? Unless 
Blade can easily cause injury, otherwise
I take no reason why newbie shouldn't 
Use blade.

Above is just my thought. Will be glad if
mor views are shared.

Regards, 
Eferata
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 6:22 pm

Sorry typo again. I mean "I see no reason"
instead of "I take no reason".
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Bro,

The game of golf is already so hard to master, why put yourself to greater challenge by using a less forgiving golf set, hoping that it will help u improve on your not so good score?

That's just my 5cent on using MB/MC irons.
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 6:53 pm

I think it's just a matter of opinion in a way I guess... I started playing with blades also... No choice cos the set was foc, given to me by a friend... Used it to train for a few months and then I bought my first set, TM Burner 2.0 graphite... And hitting it became a piece of cake... Since then, I always have a mix of blades or players irons together with GI irons in my arsenal... When I go practise, I usually use the blades and when I play games, I use the easier to hit set. Of course I also do practise at the range with the easy set... And make sure I am very comfy playing with them... In the meantime, for training purposes I use the blades to master my striking... So far so good cos I use the impact tape from time to time and am noticing that my impact area is getting more consistent with either set...
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Fyi, the blades I am using now is TM Tour Preferred MB and my gaming set is the RBladez Tour...

Also use my newly acquired sets (J40s and Legacy Blacks) but not so much as compared to the two sets above...
Back to top Go down
Sean76
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Sean76

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Bro Eferata,

Actually no one is forcing you what type of clubs you can use or cannot use. If you feel comfortable with blade irons and you can strike it well, why are you holding back?
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
reallys

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 7:08 pm

Since you're looking for the experiences from fellow golfers;

I believe it's important to find a set of clubs you feel comfortable with... Some people prefer thin top and others prefer wider top, some will prefer clubs with no offset and some will feel more comfortable with clubs that has more offset. My suggestion to you is to try different types of clubs, i.e. blades, cavity, real easy to hit irons. Remember, shafts have a lot to do with being able to hit solid shots too. Find out if you prefer light weight shaft or heavy shaft. 

Titleist CB clubs are awesome clubs, but remember it may not be for you once you try it. Give many different clubs a try and you'll find one that you're comfortable with. 

Sometimes, it could be challenging to try different kinds... Find a brand you like and try different models from that brand. Titleist in general is harder to play than others that's a general feedback but I love them as you may be able to see from my WITB. Wink

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Off to play in the snow! 

Newbie choosing club Fullsi10
Back to top Go down
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Other than looks, try different clubs and determine what weight of irons your are most comfortable with. If you can play steel shaft in 95ish gram, honestly legacy black is one good set at tremendously good value you should consider. Just a recommendation. It's going at 499 at golf direct. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 8:38 pm

There question of blades vs cavity back or in more general sense unforgiving vs more forgiving has been discussed in many forums many times.

Everyone has opinions and views.  No fixed answer or approach.

However, the concept of training with something difficult to get better has an underlying assumption that you will eventually develop the skill level to use it.  That may not be true for every social golfer.

Another way to look at it, if you were suddenly given a 600hp RWD supercar with no electronic stability aids and asked to drive it round a track for a fast lap time, chances are you will crash.  If you gradually progressed from 150 to 200 to 280 to 350 etc etc you would have a much better chance of not crashing.

Another underlying assumption is that cavity backs clubs do not give enough feedback necessary to learn how to swing properly.  That is a question best answered by each individual, but can it really be true that with a cavity back club, you do not know if you have made a lousy swing???

In any case, most of us have a selective bias when looking for advice on forums, we will selectively retain the information that supports the decision we want to make.

If you do want to mitigate the risk, then I would suggest looking for an old blade set (should have plenty around) so if you find that reality does not meet expectations, you can always sell it.
Back to top Go down
lousyswinger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 9:17 pm

imho, forgiveness is relative. One needs to recognize that the shot shouldn't have gone the way it did, when executing a lousy swing and a poor strike on the face. 

Before this happens, forgiveness is overrated. Bottomline, as long as you still enjoy the game without slowing down the pace of the game for the back flight. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't explore the options.

End of the day, you don't try you wouldn't know.

Beer
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Go with blades or MB even if you are newbie.
They are precision weapons.
The thing to consider is the total weight / swing weight of the irons, which you must be able to handle.
Also look at the sole design. To me, a thicker sole design is easier to handle than thin blades.

However for woods, hybrids, i must say forgiveness is still a factor.
A 460cc driver head is likely to be more forgiving than a 420/440cc head
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 11:04 pm

get the most forgiving driver, fw woods and hybrids.
irons just go for what u like whether it is based on looks, feel, price, brand etc.
however I suggest that you swap the longer irons for hybrids.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 12:04 am

Hi Eferata,

May I ask what irons are you using now?

I started to use muscle-backed irons since day one and never look back since then ... I like the punchy solid feel of a muscle-backed iron, and if you hit the sweet spot, the feel was like an intense orgasm, at least to me Cool  ... When I used cavity-backed iron, I felt hollow and the orgasmic feeling was missing ... However, if one failed to hit the sweet spot on the bladed iron, he/she would experience direct feedback ... One might also often feel pain on the joints if they failed to strike the ball well ... If one does not have the swing speed to optimise these muscle-backed irons, one might experience losing one-club length distance versus using cavity-backed or semi-muscled-backed iron ... One might also experience slicing if he/she does not know how to square a ball with an almost zero off-set iron ... Actually bladed iron is good for shot shaping but I have not reached the Tour Pro level to shape the ball like them Laughing  ... I use muscle-backed blades because I like the feel and the looks  ... With these two elements, I feel motivated to golf and to goto the range to practise ...

My next set of muscle-backed irons would be either MP4 or 714MB ...

cheerscheers
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 12:52 am

Hi all, 
Thanks for your good opinion.
Will consider the my series.

Turbo: currently I am using 
           Titleist 710 CB 

Regards,
Eferata
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 12:53 am

Again typo, the auto correct mode.
I mean I will consider the mb series.
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Eferata, just wanted to address your query - Titleist CB irons, while they are titled CB (Cavity back), they are only having a shallow cavity back. 

Taken from the Titleist website: 
"CB irons feature an optimized shallow cavity-back design with an inner cavity muscle behind the impact area for solid blade iron feel."

So, CB irons are really blades that are designed to be slightly easier to play vs the mb, and definitely more difficult/unforgiving vs ap1 or ap2 irons.
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Eferata

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi guangzhao,
Thanks for ur info....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie choosing club   Newbie choosing club I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie choosing club
Page 1 of 1