Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Improve tempo without Orange Whip?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Improve tempo without Orange Whip? Empty
PostSubject: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 8:16 am

I'm a beginner in golf and looking for better ways to improve tempo. I heard about the benefit of orange whip but are there other alternative methods for better swing? How did you improve your swing tempo?

http://www.orangewhiptrainer.com/products.php
Back to top Go down
Chunky Munky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Chunky Munky

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 8:48 am

Hey Billcoke! Each individual will go through their own routine and swing at a certain speed. It doesn't really matter if this is fast, medium or slow but my advice would be to try to keep the tempo the same. When I used to get nervous in club competitions I had a tendency to slow down my swing and then overcompensate by speeding it up - really throwing my tempo...and my game off. To rectify this my old coach used to get me to count how long it took me from the start of my pre-shot routine to when I hit the ball. All I needed to do was keep that number the same. It was amazing how much it improved my tempo! Work on your pre-shot routine at the range and take it to the course. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 10:53 am

Chunky Munky wrote:
Hey Billcoke! Each individual will go through their own routine and swing at a certain speed. It doesn't really matter if this is fast, medium or slow but my advice would be to try to keep the tempo the same. When I used to get nervous in club competitions I had a tendency to slow down my swing and then overcompensate by speeding it up - really throwing my tempo...and my game off. To rectify this my old coach used to get me to count how long it took me from the start of my pre-shot routine to when I hit the ball. All I needed to do was keep that number the same. It was amazing how much it improved my tempo! Work on your pre-shot routine at the range and take it to the course. Good luck.

When you do mind counting, doesn't it distract your tempo?
Back to top Go down
Chunky Munky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Chunky Munky

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 11:02 am

Using "the count" has never distracted me - if anything it has helped a bit with focus.

I used to count in my head predominantly in practice and by the time I'd drilled it enough it became 2nd nature on the course.

If I ever felt myself slowing down or swinging too quickly on the course I would start the count again....bit of a comfort blanket. It worked for me.

I think it's important to find your own way of doing the same things again and again and getting that consistency which we all strive for. 

Use the range for honing your skills and just go out to the course to play (and hopefully enjoy). Try not to think about swing mechanics etc on the course too much and you will be amazed at how quickly your scores will start to tumble. Plan the clubs you are going to hit for the hole and play the good percentage shots. I think people refer to it as having good course management.
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 11:44 am

There are also mobile apps on golf tempo. You can give it a try also.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Never tried Tempo Apps, but chunk monkey has a good point. instead of distracting.. I agree that it may help instead with focusing on the right thing instead of the wrong thing. Drill until it becomes 2nd nature. that's the result of practice. focusing too much on swing mechanics on course could lead to disaster.

A pro once told me that he used the name "NAN-CY LO-PEZ" to help correct his tempo when he's off on that particular day. its like counting.. with words rather than numbers. Using 4 syllable words.

It'll really help reduce the take-away speed and be aggressive through the 4th count. 1...2... (upswing) 3 (start downswing) and emphasize 4 ! it'll really help you swing THROUGH the ball, rather than AT the ball.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 1:25 pm

odyssey23 wrote:
There are also mobile apps on golf tempo. You can give it a try also.
Bro, I can't help but have to comment that your WIB are full of pricey JDM weapons ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chunky Munky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Chunky Munky

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Ha ha! Nice one Turbo! Very Happy 

Certainly is a good bag of clubs!
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Classic case of good bag of clubs but cannot perform. Cannot play but must look pro. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Improve tempo without Orange Whip?   Improve tempo without Orange Whip? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Improve tempo without Orange Whip?
Page 1 of 1