Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need your help in reading the golf score cards

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Need your  help in reading the golf score cards Empty
PostSubject: Need your help in reading the golf score cards   Need your  help in reading the golf score cards I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 1:55 am

Need your  help in reading the golf score cards Score_12

Need your help. There are 4 things I don't understand about the score cards.

1. For Hole No. 1, why is it that the HDCP difficulty for red tee of "1" is more difficult than Blue/White tee of "11"? Since Red and B/W tee are the same hole but different distance, shouldn't the HDCP difficulty of "1" be the same for both Red and B/W?

Hence for hole 14, both Red and B/W tee should have the same HDCP difficulty of "2". No???

2. The ratings/slope numbers, how do these numbers affect your final scores? or the numbers are there to inform the players the difficulty of the slopes only?

3. What does the red dots mean? eg: Jim has a handicap of 2, so his score cards shows the red dots for hole 9 (HDCP 1) and hole 17 (HDCP 2). The video says that Jim got a stroke for both hole 9 and 17 which he did pretty well for both holes. What does the red dots mean? and what does it mean "Jim got a stroke"?

4. "Out/In" are subtotals for 9 and 18 holes, but what does "out/in" really mean?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Need your help in reading the golf score cards   Need your  help in reading the golf score cards I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 8:12 am

billcoke wrote:
Need your  help in reading the golf score cards Score_12

Need your help. There are 4 things I don't understand about the score cards.

1. For Hole No. 1, why is it that the HDCP difficulty for red tee of "1" is more difficult than Blue/White tee of "11"? Since Red and B/W tee are the same hole but different distance, shouldn't the HDCP difficulty of "1" be the same for both Red and B/W?
Reply: may not necessarily be that way. Depends on the course assessment

Hence for hole 14, both Red and B/W tee should have the same HDCP difficulty of "2". No???

2. The ratings/slope numbers, how do these numbers affect your final scores? or the numbers are there to inform the players the difficulty of the slopes only?
Reply: the latter, and not the former

3. What does the red dots mean? eg: Jim has a handicap of 2, so his score cards shows the red dots for hole 9 (HDCP 1) and hole 17 (HDCP 2). The video says that Jim got a stroke for both hole 9 and 17 which he did pretty well for both holes. What does the red dots mean? and what does it mean "Jim got a stroke"?
Reply: since his hcp is 2, then he'll get a stroke each on holes with hcp index 1&2

4. "Out/In" are subtotals for 9 and 18 holes, but what does "out/in" really mean?
Reply: out is to capture your front 9 score since you gone 'out' and play
In is to capture your back 9 score as you come back 'in' to club house 
I stand corrected but please see my 'Reply' above
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need your help in reading the golf score cards   Need your  help in reading the golf score cards I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 9:05 am

Bro, to the best of my knowledge

1. Not neccessary.  Eg. the placement of the tee box can affect the difficulty of the hole.  For instance, Par 3 hole.  From blue and white tee, you need to cross a big ravine before reaching the green.  The difficulty could be say 2.  But if the red tee is place on a location whereby the path to the green is not blocked by any obstacles, then the difficulty of that hole is reduce drastically.  I encounter this in Shenzhen Wind Valley one of the par 3 hole.

2. The course rating and slope rating are both used to derive the handicap differential used to calculate your USGA handicap.
Handicap Differential = (Adjusted Gross Score - Course Rating) X 113 ÷ Slope Rating

Also slope rating is used to derive your course handicap.
Course Handicap = Index x (Slope Rating of Tee on Course / 113)

3. The red dot are probably the indication of which are the 'chocolate holes'.  Yes since Jim has a hcp of 2, he will have a stroke each in hole 9 and hole 17.  He has a stroke means since he is a hcp 2, so by right he is suppose to play bogey on hole 9 and 17.  Since he has a par on both holes, he net score would be birdie on both holes.  When you play tournament, you have heard of gross and net score right, this is what it means......in relation to your course hcp

4. Bro pocketace explain this very well liao
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need your help in reading the golf score cards   Need your  help in reading the golf score cards I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 10:34 am

skybobo wrote:
Bro, to the best of my knowledge

1. Not neccessary.  Eg. the placement of the tee box can affect the difficulty of the hole.  For instance, Par 3 hole.  From blue and white tee, you need to cross a big ravine before reaching the green.  The difficulty could be say 2.  But if the red tee is place on a location whereby the path to the green is not blocked by any obstacles, then the difficulty of that hole is reduce drastically.  I encounter this in Shenzhen Wind Valley one of the par 3 hole.

2. The course rating and slope rating are both used to derive the handicap differential used to calculate your USGA handicap.
Handicap Differential = (Adjusted Gross Score - Course Rating) X 113 ÷ Slope Rating

Also slope rating is used to derive your course handicap.
Course Handicap = Index x (Slope Rating of Tee on Course / 113)

3. The red dot are probably the indication of which are the 'chocolate holes'.  Yes since Jim has a hcp of 2, he will have a stroke each in hole 9 and hole 17.  He has a stroke means since he is a hcp 2, so by right he is suppose to play bogey on hole 9 and 17.  Since he has a par on both holes, he net score would be birdie on both holes.  When you play tournament, you have heard of gross and net score right, this is what it means......in relation to your course hcp

4. Bro pocketace explain this very well liao

Many thanks for all your replies  Very Happy

The course rating calculation sounds complicated, guess I leave the computers at the clubs  to calculate and track our handicaps.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need your help in reading the golf score cards   Need your  help in reading the golf score cards I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 11:36 am

Bro, hcp calculation is actually quite simple.
Look at this thread, the 2nd post on page 2.  I have posted something similar before

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t5781p15-handicap-index-calculation
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Need your help in reading the golf score cards   Need your  help in reading the golf score cards I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 12:38 am

skybobo wrote:
Bro, hcp calculation is actually quite simple.
Look at this thread, the 2nd post on page 2.  I have posted something similar before

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t5781p15-handicap-index-calculation

Great, thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need your help in reading the golf score cards   Need your  help in reading the golf score cards I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need your help in reading the golf score cards
Page 1 of 1