Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!

Go down 
+33
fking_soon
htngwilliam
golffairy
paul@golf
golfer7381
hiryu
jag3333
stl67
kissthegreen
chien
skybobo
neutralgolfer
volkswagenboy
slinger
golfool2009
jhan18
pocketace
Kaii
renode
Momo333
willytan
Tigercrab
aquaman
asahi
Duval_S
uncleP
eyz4eva
haragolfer
Yz426
mikael
abadan
oldie-newbie
Brenttay
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Brenttay
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Any to intro? I leave in the east and member of NSRCC
Back to top Go down
http://Www.urbaninline.com.sg
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 2:29 pm

If u dun mind going to mbgc . . . I learned there from lim kian kee i got my pc and can launch (sometimes lah) after just a few lessons.  But then again depends o  individual la
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Brenttay wrote:
Any to intro? I leave in the east and member of NSRCC 

Its important that you have a good relationship with your coach. To have good communication and chemistry, he/she should be as committed to improving your game as much as you are. So i'd recommend going for a trial lesson to get to know the coach before you commit to their packages. Most pros offer trial packages. Some offer first lesson free... some make you sign a minimum of 3 lessons. it varies. 

I heard that Brad from NSRCC is not bad. Or you can also check out the pros at Laguna Country Club or MBGC since you live in the east. I'm not sure if the range is up and running yet though. 
Back to top Go down
mikael
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 5:08 pm

hi all,

advice you one pro. He based at ponderosa golf, jb. Indian guy and teach very good. Here is the contact number 019-6610487 Pro Vallieppan. Hope can help you.
Back to top Go down
Yz426
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 6:20 pm

mikael wrote:
hi all,

advice you one pro. He based at ponderosa golf, jb. Indian guy and teach very good. Here is the contact number 019-6610487 Pro Vallieppan. Hope can help you.

kinda far to go to Johor for lessons, when you are in spore...
and with the price increase of the tolls and crazy jams... not worth my time and money...
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 7:44 pm

i go to Chris Holloway at heartland golf, jurong country club.  best money i spent on golf ,period.
Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 pm

am looking for a pro as well.

anyone has any experience with alan chang at mbgc?

was at the range yday and saw alan chang teaching a student. observed him to be very attentive to his student. He really spend the time solely on the student, and very little chatting in between with other people.

when his student went to the toilet, i then approached him to ask on the rate. he was kind enough to point out my slice's causes, which seems to make sense. my previous 2 ad hoc coaches never seems to point it out.

will be arranging for a 1 hour lesson with him next week and see how it will go from there.
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 8:07 am

Looking for Pro?
Wah this few really want to play good golf!

wat is the area that you ppl need to straighten?
Swing??
Chip??
Putting ???

Dont go to the doctor and expect the doctor to help!
Help what?

Is the action or equipment that need to tune UP????

I started with a Pro from scratch.
Drilling hours and hours at the range till I get my PC

Refuse to carry on with the pro.
Why??  Cannot get anything out from him and oso not willing to bring me on COURSE.

After years of perfecting the FLAW, I decided to engage a well known pro to teach me
on how to roll forward the ball off the driver.
Again got disappointing results and advise.
U hit the ball long enough. 
15 years ago $70 /half hour and actual looking at my swing
is only 10 minutes.
Pay and swear not to listen to any of the LOCAL pros

Play lots of golf in Indonesia while working there.
Learn lots of lessons from the betting games.
those Mafia make me pay ,  BUT I am a happy sucker.
23 HCP shooting 85-88 consistently, 
They laugh as I became one of the Surabaya  croc

I still have to buy lunch , dinner 
But the best part is that they bother to show me how to execute shot
FROM any position.
They taught me how to read line for putting.
(taught me and CUT stroke, so as to keep me interested to loose more)

Happy sucker all the way

So wat I gather?
Go out to play more!
ask for help on the department tat You are at the WEAKEST

GO AND ENGAGE A GOOD CLUB FITTER that can spend time with YOU.
the result will be faster.  (assuming that U have the basic swing)

Learn golf on course
Be prepared to WIN .
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 8:45 am

Fantastic advice......battle scars wins for.me
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:14 am

Justin Han. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
aquaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aquaman

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Recommendation in no order: 
1. Brad (NSRCC)
2. Allen Kelly
3. Justin Han
Back to top Go down
Tigercrab
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Tigercrab

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Justin Han is very good n suitable for those more serious abt their game. He is Knowlegeable on techniques n trianing methods, the track man radar also  no horse run, capture lots of useful data eyes cant see  ! 

Sorry i dont know the rest cant comment.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Superb advice from UncleP.
Back to top Go down
Momo333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Momo333

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks UncleP for the wonderful insight.

I was chit-chatting with a Japanese friend who is golfer.  He said that in Japan, the people at the range are very friendly and will give tips to the guy next to him.  Because you can't see your own swing, so a stranger next to you will tell you where and what to fine-tune.  That's the culture there and that's how a lot of people there learn to play golf.

He observed in Singapore, people at the range do their own thing, they don't mingle and talk to the guy next to him.  He asked me why is that and why nobody want to help you or give tips.

Okie, interesting..... he doesn't have a handicap and he said he plays on the Singapore golf courses and usually they don't ask him.  But if they ask him, he will rattle off a number, for example, 15 and they will accept it.  In Japan, you don't need a handicap to play on their golf courses.

BTW he told me he is a good golfer.  Never took lessons from pro.
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 pm

As usual, very interesting n insightful post from UncleP !
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 1:08 am

Momo333 wrote:

He observed in Singapore, people at the range do their own thing, they don't mingle and talk to the guy next to him.  He asked me why is that and why nobody want to help you or give tips.

In Singapore ranges , there is a big sign on the wall that no teaching is allowed otherwise you will have to leave after a first warning.
Back to top Go down
Momo333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Momo333

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 1:10 am

Kaii wrote:
Momo333 wrote:

In Singapore ranges , there is a big sign on the wall that no teaching is allowed otherwise you will have to leave after a first warning.

Oh serious ah? On all ranges or some?  
If my friend teach me, how?
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 1:50 am

so far I have seen the sign in all the ranges I been but I have not seen anyone was asked to leave
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 am

I have seen one, at Toa Payoh. I think there was this freelance guy teaching but in a corner, last bay. He was reminded not to conduct lessons there. After that they never kachau him anymore but he stopped also.

Got cctv? else how they know?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 9:25 am

Imagine if you are a professional making a living on a driving range,  you pay 'rent' to be part of the academy,  employ admin support staff (s), etc

Then got 'freelancers' come to your range and take potential students away from you... how would you feel?

That said, if it is one fellow golfer giving tips to another fellow golfer, then they probably won't bat an eyelid (probably blind leading the blind!)
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am

pocketace wrote:
Imagine if you are a professional making a living on a driving range,  you pay 'rent' to be part of the academy,  employ admin support staff (s), etc

Then got 'freelancers' come to your range and take potential students away from you... how would you feel?

That said, if it is one fellow golfer giving tips to another fellow golfer, then they probably won't bat an eyelid (probably blind leading the blind!)

How one gets into golf?
Friends encouragement , office or school sponsors?

Or one just go to the retail shop and pick up a set , look at the YELLOW page.

How about Father bring their kids to the range, or boyfriend bring their chio bu to golf?

Your PARENTS and teacher keep nagging you to do the RIGHT thing and you dont give a hoot?

Who is this "Freelancer"?  If he can impress U and make U listen , I respect him.
(just like kong hee.)

How come the "LICENSED" pro cannot catch the attention of the newbie?????
Are they not friendly enough?
Did not display their skill?
Got no communication skill?
Not making cut for any evens since after their pro test????

No words of mouth that make newbie sign up with them????

I PITY them.
Yes
Singapore dont have enough evens,
 but there is next door Malai OPEn and THAI open.

only few, yes few try out .
Pilots need to pass basic test before they can fly,
Army boys need to pass their IPPT
matar ku oso need to go for their test yearly

hOW COme those with TOURING CARd not touring?

Would you like to offend the person infront or behind that his swing is bad???

Absurd, U think any golfer would like to listen negative criticism,
TRY it on your good friend.
Tomoro he dont reply your message.

FREEDOM of choice

THINK , who want to do things for free, Stupid or wat?

Giving tips and teaching >>>>>
D
dIFFERENT    thing

POCKET U go to SSN @MBGC?????? or ever????

those paid rental pro must be bleeding
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 12:04 pm

thru the years . its hard to get a pro that focus on my mistakes , they will tell me what to do for 15 min n goes off n come back in 20 min. I wonder whether did I pay them for an hour lesson?

or am I unteachable ?  Laughing
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 2:40 pm

I would like to post here not to blow my our trumpet or anything.. More from being an observer of how the posts here and the market I'm in go hand in hand..

Our Singapore PGA unfortunately does not have the reputation it should command.. Unlike Australia, New Zealand, the US etc. I guess this provides loopholes for members of other teaching organizations (I shall not name as I would be putting myself on really thin ice here) to join the fray on the island as a 'golf instructor' This is something the Singapore PGA is working hard on and hopefully one day we would gain that kind of rep. 

It's also up to us members to do what we can to uphold the image of our PGA. I would like to think that most of us are adequately trained to help any golfer the best way they can.We can either complain about having not much of a rep being a local pro or do something about it.I like to think the latter. I guess in life there with be success and failure. I do hope that those who experienced failure would experience success with another coach they might seek..

With the coaching signs on the range.. It's more so to stop people who think they are the golf pros..For example, we did have someone who use to come to Laguna, line his friends up and teach them. For me, I've never gone up to anyone to chase them away. I would if I knew he was teaching somewhere else and came to use our premises to teach. 

And uncleP, you sound like a true blue experienced golfer and I know quite a few that would sing the same tune as you..as for not playing on tour anymore..I do agree that us professionals should be able to play to a decent standard.. Sean Foley, Butch Harmon and David Leadbetter all started out as tour pros.. But I guess with people, priorities change. They dedicated their time to help others so playing had to take a backseat..

Just my humble opinion

Cheers
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:29 pm

UncleP, not sure what you are ranting about...  In fact, it seems that you and PocketAce are agreeing on the same thing in terms of differentiating between friends giving tips and pros freelancing at the driving range.....

Also, your point on all professionals needing to play on tour is a fairly simplistic if not an outright ignorant comment....should all piano teachers be concert pianists?  Are all teachers then not worthy simply cause they don't 'do'?

While you may have had your share of bad experiences with pros (I've had my share), there are others who have found good pros to help them with their swing (so have I with Allen Kelly at Laguna).......I don't think you should disparage the entire profession simply because you chose to continue throwing bad money after good since you couldn't differentiate a good pro from a bad one.....fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.......

Having said that, you do have some good points in that playing for money (which i don't condone....well, unless you really twist my arm) with the local buayas is a good way to improve your score.....it's a more entertaining way to pay tuition fees.....they can teach you a lot abt course mgmt and it will magnify areas that you need to work on.......what they aren't able to do is help you with your swing mechanics.....

For me, I took a similar route to you, i.e. paid my friends a lot of tuition fees and it helped drop my h'cap significantly....but once i knew the specific areas i wanted to work on, i approached a coach for help.....and i learned heaps despite having played for many years already.......But that's me....might not work for you.....

Oh...and btw...if i went to a doctor...u're damn right i expect him to help and make me feel better......
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 3:39 pm

uncleP wrote:
pocketace wrote:

How one gets into golf?
Friends encouragement , office or school sponsors?

Or one just go to the retail shop and pick up a set , look at the YELLOW page.

How about Father bring their kids to the range, or boyfriend bring their chio bu to golf?

Your PARENTS and teacher keep nagging you to do the RIGHT thing and you dont give a hoot?

Who is this "Freelancer"?  If he can impress U and make U listen , I respect him.
(just like kong hee.)

How come the "LICENSED" pro cannot catch the attention of the newbie?????
Are they not friendly enough?
Did not display their skill?
Got no communication skill?
Not making cut for any evens since after their pro test????

No words of mouth that make newbie sign up with them????

I PITY them.
Yes
Singapore dont have enough evens,
 but there is next door Malai OPEn and THAI open.

only few, yes few try out .
Pilots need to pass basic test before they can fly,
Army boys need to pass their IPPT
matar ku oso need to go for their test yearly

hOW COme those with TOURING CARd not touring?

Would you like to offend the person infront or behind that his swing is bad???

Absurd, U think any golfer would like to listen negative criticism,
TRY it on your good friend.
Tomoro he dont reply your message.

FREEDOM of choice

THINK , who want to do things for free, Stupid or wat?

Giving tips and teaching >>>>>
D
dIFFERENT    thing

POCKET U go to SSN @MBGC?????? or ever????

those paid rental pro must be bleeding
I struggle with what you are blabbering about

Your posts seemed to be a mash of thoughts

Upon rereading your post, I sort of get your drift. But I won't even bother cos I'll just agree to disagree with you instead.

ps: I've observed that all your posts seemed rather angsty. Wonder why...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!   Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a pro to teach me golf. I want to play better!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next