Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…

Go down 
+18
olivewine
enwee
mloy
timlim
haragolfer
GooGie
blee67
Technospaz
EastCoastHack
flashpacker
weesern
asahi
richarccctan
willytan
swine
meia07656
chien
Nam Flog
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:02 pm

these excerpts are close to my heart

"Priority On The Course

Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. 
View Priority On The Course Animation "

Safety

Players should ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit by the club, the ball or any stones, pebbles, twigs or the like when they make a stroke or practice swing. 

Players should not play until the players in front are out of range. 

Players should always alert greenstaff nearby or ahead when they are about to make a stroke that might endanger them. 

If a player plays a ball in a direction where there is a danger of hitting someone, he should immediately shout a warning. The traditional word of warning in such a situation is "fore."
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:03 pm

And the most ignored Spirit of the game

[size=36]GOLF ETIQUETTE 101[/size]

The Spirit Of The Game

Unlike many sports, golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be.
This is the spirit of the game of golf.
Back to top Go down
meia07656
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 pm

haragolfer wrote:
And the most ignored Spirit of the game

[size=36]GOLF ETIQUETTE 101[/size]

The Spirit Of The Game

Unlike many sports, golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be.
This is the spirit of the game of golf.
In my experience, all of the people I play with exhibits this, good natured ribbing aside. The people I play not only exhibits on the course but also off the course as well.
If you find this as most ignored, maybe you need to find new kakis to play with.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:55 pm

As an experiment, for those who feel that practice swings actually make them more tense instead of more relaxed and ESPECIALLY for those who will take multiple practice swings until they get one that brushes the grass nicely and then HOPE that the next swing they make will be like the last good one.

Why not try this?

While your flight mates are getting ready to hit their shot ...

1)  Stand behind the ball, look at where you want to hit it, make a few partial relaxed swings so that you can feel the clubhead at the end of the club

Once you flight mate has hit his shot

2)  Walk up to your ball, align yourself to your target, shrug a little to loosen your back and shoulders, stabilise your balance, and then just swing at the ball like you would normally make your practice swing.

It might feel weird, but if there is an opportunity, why not try it for 18 holes.

Maybe you might shoot a worse score, maybe you might shoot a better score.  At least you will be able to verify if the multiple practice swings you were making previously are helping you or not.

Who knows, maybe making not having expectations might help you relax and enjoy the game more.  Maybe less practice swings will be less taxing on the body and you will feel less tired or have a less sore back after the game.

If you never try, you'll never know ...
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 2:26 pm

To Derek's point, consider this:

U take 100 strokes to finish a game. You take 3 practice swings before the actual shot. In total u will have put your body through 400 swings. Granted that a third of those r putting strokes, but still 266 full strike left. That is a lot for the body to handle. 

Of course takes time too.
Back to top Go down
richarccctan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 4:42 pm

meia07656 wrote:
richarccctan wrote:
So you can see, it cuts both way .... 

So, again, my thoughts, the fast golfers, exercise some patience and grace, don't forget, you were slow once, many years ago.  For the slow golfers, do not feel hurried, for "more haste less speed".

Quote of the day "Do unto others what you want others to do unto you"  Very Happy
Etiquette of golf for both R and A and USGA websites states to keep up with pace with the group in front. If a group loses a hole it should invite the following group to pass. 
If you want to take a leisurely stroll, do it at the park where no one will push you.

Hi meia07656,

If you would have gave some post some thoughts, I was advocating for some patience and grace from the expert / fast golfers, while at the same time, letting the slow golfers know that if you rush or felt hurried, you are going to make more mistake and it will take more time, hence "more haste less speed".  It was done from neutral point of view. 

Just to let you know, your comment "If you want to take a leisurely stroll, do it at the park where no one will push you." was uncalled for.
Back to top Go down
richarccctan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 4:51 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
Quote :
If you're saying all golfers should relax and not let a slow group antagonise you, then you're spot on...the whole point of golf is to enjoy some fresh air and the company of your flightmates.....and hopefully, earn a little bit from golf bets to buy beer and chicken wings at the end of the round......

If you're saying a 5 hour round is ok and there's no need to keep pace with the group in front, then I would truly hate to be in the flight behind you ...i enjoy a nice relaxing round of golf (ie ready golf that keeps up with the flight in front of me) but am conscious that I am not the only one on the course...there are others behind you...if you want to relax, cut deals or discuss battle strategies, do it at the 19th hole.......

Hi golfool2009,

I did not imply that a 5 hour round is ok or there is no need to keep pace with the flight in front.  I personally do not like to hold up others, hence I will also be ready to tee off and even drive off with clubs in my hand to the next hole.  What I am trying to bring across is that we should exercise some patience and grace towards the less experience golfers who had just started out.  Imagine if you hurried the flight in front and they in turn made more mistake, won't they take longer time ?  If I get held up by the flight in front, I will clean my clubs, have a drink and maybe a puff if they are just starting to tee off with 4 balls.
Back to top Go down
richarccctan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 5:04 pm

mloy wrote:
A round of golf should be about 4 hours 20 mins. More than 5 hours of golf is just too long. Most of the time will be wasted waiting. 

It gets really crowded on weekends in S'pore and some say in JB. However it would be etiquette to let fast players play thru and the slow flight can take their game leisurely.

Yes we are not good players when we started golf but we still have to be considerate to our flight mates and others on the course. I did,when I first started golf. I duff alot those days but I'll pick up my ball and drop it further up so as not to hold back my flight mates or the flight behind. Even now if my shots are wayward and I can't find my ball in 5 mins I drop another ball and play on. That is part of golf etiquettee that I learn.
Hi mloy,

totally agreed.  When my wife or son or even myself can't sink the ball in 3 putts, we will concede and move on to the next hole.  When we can't find our ball in 30 to 45 secs, we drop a new ball and move on.  That's why I go to golf course with at least 40 balls in the bag for 3 persons, and sometimes returning with less than 10 ....
Back to top Go down
richarccctan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 5:14 pm

meia07656 wrote:

But for some reason, in SG to play from whites is a slam against one's manhood. Too many games I see people labor to get to 200m mark in 3 shots and yet they still tee it up from blues. Why torture yourself?

ha ha ha, I didn't know that ... always played from white ....  if can, I would like to play from the Red ones Smile
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi richarccctan,

Thanks for your clarification and I understand where you are coming from. The bottom line however is that it is the flight's responsibility to keep pace with the flight in front. If I am holding up the flight behind (by definition, one hole clear), then I should suggest to invite the flight behind to pass. Otherwise, I will consider speeding up play by foregoing shots if need be e.g. do not take 5 shots in the bunker, lining up a putter length putt, etc. I would even skip the hole if need be. All of us went through this process when we first started. That's why beginners are encourage to practice more at the range, play weekdays and on less crowded courses and so forth. IMHO, it is not fair to my flight mates and the flight behind to ask that they put up with my incompetence. I would do my utmost not to cause them undue delay. But if they do, it is my lucky day! It should not be because they "have to". I appreciate that you are a patient golfer but what about your flight mates and the flights behind you?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 5:29 pm

mloy wrote:
enwee wrote:
meia07656 wrote:
Gofnut wrote:
Nam Flog,

Hope this helps:
http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/Golf-Etiquette-101/

Not so much as rule allowing the flight behind to play through but for the flight that is not keeping pace to "invite" the flight behind to play through.
This is also on RandA.org, too. So you can see it is a issue that golf's governing body wants to address. Extensive campaign by USGA to address this last year was launched. A bunch of the big names signed up to front this, including Tiger Woods. Included in this campaign was "tee it forward". 
I know my limits and play from whites. But for some reason, in SG to play from whites is a slam against one's manhood. Too many games I see people labor to get to 200m mark in 3 shots and yet they still tee it up from blues. Why torture yourself?
Bo bian...they pay full price....must play full distance also or else lugi

IMO that is a lame reason.

Do you play from blue too just to make your money's worth?
With u around, how can?? If u can't win mloy on red don't ever think of playing blue. Stretcher 
Back to top Go down
richarccctan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 6:52 pm

Gofnut wrote:
Hi richarccctan,

Thanks for your clarification and I understand where you are coming from. The bottom line however is that it is the flight's responsibility to keep pace with the flight in front. If I am holding up the flight behind (by definition, one hole clear), then I should suggest to invite the flight behind to pass. Otherwise, I will consider speeding up play by foregoing shots if need be e.g. do not take 5 shots in the bunker, lining up a putter length putt, etc. I would even skip the hole if need be. All of us went through this process when we first started. That's why beginners are encourage to practice more at the range, play weekdays and on less crowded courses and so forth. IMHO, it is not fair to my flight mates and the flight behind to ask that they put up with my incompetence. I would do my utmost not to cause them undue delay. But if they do, it is my lucky day! It should not be because they "have to". I appreciate that you are a patient golfer but what about your flight mates and the flights behind you?

Hi Gofnut,

Totally agreed with you.  See my response in other post.  That's why I carried extra balls, concede if can't sink ball in 3 putts and drive off with clubs in hand to next hole, all these so that the flight behind can tee off asap ... I have even on occassions let the flight behind pass my flight ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3