Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Meaning of Low Baller

Go down 
+24
iron eagle
Joelwong
Technospaz
NikeN
billi
DKing
Gray
InTheHole!
hkhamateur
56789pgs
Botak88
asahi
andrew-golf
haragolfer
pocketace
freedrop
flashpacker
golfool2009
enwee
iuh
ZiDan
nrafee
munching222
TDO
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Meaning of Low Baller Empty
PostSubject: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Just curious how each person define "Low Ballers".

At what price below the selling price can it be considered low ball, or should it not exceed a certain percentage of the selling price.

But of course it depends on the value of the item for sale. 

Scenario #1 - An item is for sale at $800. Buyer offered $600. That is a discount of 25% over the asking price.

Scenario #2 - An item is for sale at say $100. The buyer offered to buy the item for $60, would it be considered low ball? Though the amount is much smaller that Scenario #1, the percentage of discount if much more that that used in Scenario #1.

So what actually constitute a Low Ball?  scratch  scratch  scratch 

In such a situation, would it not be better to simply put a fixed price tag for the item on sale, just like the supermarkets.
Back to top Go down
munching222
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
munching222

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Hahaha...quite true. But human nature dictates universal behavior ie seller always will try to seek highest price possible and buyer otherwise. Guess best approach is to do some research and place a reasonable price and let the fun of bargaining a bit begins...as in all negotiations, both parties must feel good abt the deal & come out feeling they both got a good deal
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 2:31 pm

cutting it by 50% is without a doubt low balling. Unless you are in Bangkok CTC.
GR market place typically 10 to 20%, seller will not be offended. $100 asking, you request nicely if they can do it for $80.. should not be offensive.

Generally asking for a ridiculous price constitute to low balling.
Back to top Go down
ZiDan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:09 pm

Intrigued by TDO's original post.  Am a newbie on GR but have bought/sold golf, hifi, etc items online.

Personally, I never quite agree with phrases like "low ballers would not be entertained"...

It's a free market.  If bid quote is too low and seller has a better offer, just ignore low bid.  If seller has no alternative offer, then no price is too low....since seller has to make a choice to either accept it or keep item in storeroom for emotional satisfaction.

Also, if "true" value is $100 and seller asks for $150, cutting asking price by 50% for a start may not seem to be too ridiculous afterall?

Just offering an alternative view.
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:41 pm

i think, asking politely would help..

seller should be prepared for people asking for more discount, this is human nature Smile

seller's interpretation of low balling will be different from the person offering. 

so far all the sellers here are nice even though i have quoted some silly $$ :p
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:56 pm

I think it's people's nature to wanna buy cheap, you can lowball but the seller can don't sell. But just don't when the seller said ok, the buyer back out. Then that's not too nice.
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 4:01 pm

enwee wrote:
I think it's people's nature to wanna buy cheap, you can lowball but the seller can don't sell. But just don't when the seller said ok, the buyer back out. Then that's not too nice.

yeah.. thats lower than balls.. 

i mean low ballers  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 5:20 pm

I've met some clowns here who, after I've said the price is firm a few different ways for a $80 club, have come back and asked for $5 discount....i have zero respect for guys like these.....it's the endless back and forth as I try to remain civil:
CB (Cheap bastard): bro, can you sell for $40?
Me: Afraid not, price is firm 
CB: Bro, how about $50
Me: Nope, $80 is already a good price
CB: Bro, how about $70
(At this point I'm beginning to wonder whether we really are related)
Me: Nope.
CB: OK OK Bro, $80.
And then the CB shows up and asks whether can pay $75.....faint!!!!!...at that point, CB no longer means cheap bastard......

I understand looking for a bargain but some bozos here are just out to take the piss...mind you these folks form only a small minority of the people i've dealt with....no problem with the majority of GR-ians.....
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 5:25 pm

Pay it forward for the good of the game.
No price is too high or too low. 
It's willing buyer, willing seller.

Dont get personal or emotional over it.

Smile
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 5:25 pm

I won't be offended if someone counter offer 50% of what I asked for. I just treat it as a joke and reply politely : Sorry, I won't sell at that price. There is no need to get angry over such trivial things. 

Besides, if you put it out for 6 months and still no body meets your price, or revised price, you may have to decide if your asking price is indeed unreasonable.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm with you bro Golfool2009, I feel for you

at the end of the day, regardless if we are a buyer or seller, at least try to act with some dignity

After all, I don't even know you, so don't haggle with me like we know each other. We are dealing with equipment for playing a gentlemen's game isn't it?

Some buyer also like to offer a price, and when I accept (offer & acceptance = contract?) the buyer suddenly goes into radio silence.

All I'm saying is it takes two hands to clap. Buying and selling stuffs need not be this frustrating if everyone behave in a mature manner
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:08 pm

it is quite counter intuitive to not welcome bids. no matter how offensive.  but after a while, I am more interested to meet fellow golfers who have stories to tell, price has become secondary.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:21 pm

One thing worse than a low baller is someone who agrees to sell you something and then subsequently back out

Jus a short answer "not selling already"

I hope this chap is not in the forum.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:27 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
I've met some clowns here who, after I've said the price is firm a few different ways for a $80 club, have come back and asked for $5 discount....i have zero respect for guys like these.....it's the endless back and forth as I try to remain civil:
And then the CB shows up and asks whether can pay $75.....faint!!!!!...at that point, CB no longer means cheap bastard......

I understand looking for a bargain but some bozos here are just out to take the piss...mind you these folks form only a small minority of the people i've dealt with....no problem with the majority of GR-ians.....

Chill! Next time I show up with $79 okay?

lol!
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 10:32 pm

asahi wrote:
Quote :

lol!

Haha...you know me...i don't get "offended" or "emotional" by such small matters...it's just that adult men shouldn't really quibble over a few dollars....i'm happy to ignore low ballers, it's the persistent chaps that seem so desperate to haggle over $5 just to satisfy themselves that they got a deal that annoy me.....i like what PocketAce said....have some dignity.....

He's so cheap he went on his honeymoon alone
He's so cheap he ate beans to save on bubblebath
Talk is cheap and so are you
Yo momma's so cheap she washes paper plates
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Than what about u sold somethng cheap to a fellow GRian than after sme tme that fellow try to sell at a higher price.

This consider low ball??
Back to top Go down
56789pgs
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Botak88 wrote:
Than what about u sold somethng cheap to a fellow GRian than after sme tme that fellow try to sell at a higher price.

This consider low ball??
Thats profiteering. Frown upon..
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 7:41 am

asahi wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:

lol!

Whahaha.. Razz Razz
I like the golfool2009 abv quote...direct! Wink
Asahi bro, I better you at S$79.50! ROFL
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 8:33 am

56789pgs wrote:
Botak88 wrote:

This consider low ball??
Thats profiteering. Frown upon..
The term profiteering do not apply in this case. Profiteering means taking advantage of short supply and selling at high price.

Let's say if someone bought a stuff for say $70 and didn't like it after using it a few times, he is entitled to sell at any price he deem fit, $120 or more. If he sell at a higher price then it's his ability to do so. He, in this case is looking for a sucker or someone who don't know the market value of the stuff.

Sometimes it depend on demand and supply. And at the right time a certain buyer may be looking for the item on sale and is willing to buy at a price higher than what the seller bought previously.

There shouldn't be any unhappiness after you had sold your stuff since it's a willing seller willing buyer agreement. If truly unhappy, then the original seller should kept the stuff in his storeroom and not sell it and perhaps wait for the right timing to sell.

The thing is you don't know what is the right timing because at the time you posted your sale, you would be more than happy to offload the stuff. Smile 
Back to top Go down
InTheHole!
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 8:50 am

As a regular user of the FS forum, and I am sure most would hv seen my ads, I believe that one should be polite and temper their lower offers to sellers. I believe in paying iot forward, let someone else use the clubs that I no longer hv use for..... and my prices (i believe) are very reasonable.

End of the day, willing buyer willing seller, no need to lose sleep over this, nor be nasty.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 10:37 am

Botak88 wrote:

This consider low ball??

Haha. I kana before.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 10:45 am

Botak88 wrote:

This consider low ball??
IMHO, there's nothing wrong with it except it's morally wrong to make a profit out of it especially if you are selling here again. Mad

This action is as bad as lowballing if not worse.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 10:55 am

I don't even see that as morally wrong. If someone can buy from me at a price I agreed upon, and he can resell at higher price, he is simply a better businessman than I.

Again, it's a case willing seller, willing buyer, so no regret. It's ethically wrong only when 2 parties agreed on a price, and then one party backs out with all kinds of excuses, either seller or buyer.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 11:00 am

freedrop wrote:
I don't even see that as morally wrong. If someone can buy from me at a price I agreed upon, and he can resell at higher price, he is simply a better businessman than I.

Again, it's a case willing seller, willing buyer, so no regret. It's ethically wrong only when 2 parties agreed on a price, and then one party backs out with all kinds of excuses, either seller or buyer.
Agree with your comments bro. cheers 
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 11:05 am

TDO wrote:
freedrop wrote:

Agree with your comments bro. cheers 
Just my thought, if u wanna make a profit, don't sell here, sell outside to places like FESC or some other webs. Making profit out kakis here it's show that you are not here to make friends, just here take advantage of people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meaning of Low Baller   Meaning of Low Baller I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meaning of Low Baller
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next