Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is proper golf attire?

Go down 
+10
IceShelterX
ozzy888
itdavidsg
flashpacker
jeffman88
TDO
Birdman
haragolfer
golf_snowman
Stuckinthemiddle
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Stuckinthemiddle
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

What is proper golf attire? Empty
PostSubject: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Shirt tucked out is casual, but is it proper golf attire?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm

no...shirt tuck in, no jeans, wear proper golf shoes, no metal spike...
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am

Shoes are not so specific these days. As long as you have sufficient grip and dont hurt yorself by falling.  Caddies wear running shoes on course. I completely approve of trekking shoes and football shoes with mini spikes like golf sneakers these days.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 am

Stuckinthemiddle wrote:
Shirt tucked out is casual, but is it proper golf attire?

Just take 30 seconds to read the notices around the vicinity of the changing room and you'll have your answer.  Very Happy

In many parts of the world, one is even required to remove any headwear upon entering the clubhouse, so what's a tucked in shirt?  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 8:30 am

I guess many clubs impose a ruling of a collar tee shirt, minimum shorts not more than 4" above knee (except ladies, I don't know why) and tuck in the shirt. Rolling Eyes 

I think it's more important to not be a loud mouth, especially when they are golfers teeing off and putting.  Mad 
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 am

I oso noticed in many golf clubs in Australia esp Perth (from the Vines to Marangaroo) and once in Rockhamption (Capricorn), golfers are super casual playing in shorts singlets roundneck tees even sports sneakers albeit during friendly games but during competitions they do dressup and all look every bit like PGA pros lol!
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 9:54 am

Just watch the pros on golf channel and you will find your answer there   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
itdavidsg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
itdavidsg

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Extracted from Golfsmith

The clothing in golf is a part of the decorum of the game, perhaps more so than any other sport. Not only is there an unspoken etiquette, but most golf courses have a dress code that requires particular attire in order to play. These dress codes are not as restrictive as the rules for PGA Tour or LPGA Tour players, but they are designed to ensure that amateur players adhere to a certain protocol to help maintain the game's traditions. It is always a good idea to check with course management about the club's dress code.

Shirts
In nearly all cases, golf courses require that men wear collared shirts. This usually means traditional cotton, microfiber or polyester golf shirts. Some course managers also allow modern-style golf shirts that have a turtleneck-style collar. Women's golf tops vary greatly, with or without collars, but all adhere to a traditional sense of modesty. This means no bathing suit tops or tube tops. T-shirts or tank tops usually are not permitted for men or women.

Pants
Men should wear long pants made of cotton or a polyester blend, or dress shorts with a pleated or flat front. Some courses will permit men to wear jeans, but others do not. Women also should wear long trousers, capris or dress shorts, or what are called golf skirts. These garments are made with a cut pleat or V-notch on the front or side to allow for motion in the golf swing and include an undershort. Cut-off jeans and workout, running or basketball shorts usually are not permitted for men or women.

Shoes
Footwear is considered part of the game's equipment. Golf shoes will help stabilize a player's swing, allow for traction when walking and provide comfort during a round that can last several hours. These shoes include spikes on the soles. Many courses now require "soft" spikes made of hard rubber or plastic, not traditional metal. Furthermore, other types of shoes that may appear to offer the same comfort and stability are not necessarily permitted. Sneakers or running shoes are sometimes allowed on golf courses, but not always. Sandals, street shoes and boots are not permitted on most courses.

Socks
Socks are as necessary with golf shoes as they are with any sports footwear. Over the years, socks have become an important part of golf attire, mainly because advances in fibers help to keep a golfer comfortable and his feet dry. Golf socks come in a variety of styles. Many golfers who wear shorts choose ankle-length socks that are barely visible above the shoes. But more traditional tube socks also are permitted. Although a course dress code is not likely to specify what kind of socks a player is permitted to wear, there is unspoken etiquette that requires a player to wear socks that complement the clothing.

Hats
Golf hats usually are not specified in a dress code, but certain headgear is more appropriate. Baseball-style hats or visors, for men and women, are the most popular on a golf course. Their primary function is to help provide protection from the sun. Straw hats of many varieties and what are known as Ben Hogan caps also are permitted. But headgear such as cowboy hats, dress fedora-style hats, beanie caps and gag hats are generally not appropriate for a golf course.
Back to top Go down
ozzy888
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ozzy888

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 11:13 am

Depends on the occasion and the golf courses . and it also depends on you too..
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 11:46 am

ozzy888 wrote:
Depends on the occasion and the golf courses . and it also depends on you too..

Yup. so depend on course management, you can wear anything as long as they permit it.
Back to top Go down
Ross Tan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 12:40 am

Most local clubs have a standard rule stating that golfers including range users have to abide by, they usually don't allow round neck tees, jeans, improper shoes to be worn, common sense should prevail, wear golf attire n you cant go wrong.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 am

I saw people wearing football shorts and round neck Tees ranging at OCC range ... What an eyesore ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Turbo wrote:
I saw people wearing football shorts and round neck Tees ranging at OCC range ... What an eyesore ... Laughing
Same sentiments, mate..
On the green, I feel that they should ban female golfers shorts (those really short ones).. Just doesn't look right..
Recently Saw a guy trying to smoke his way into sentosa golf club Hse wearing flip flops.. He got 'prosecuted'. Shame on him...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 2:15 pm

kissthegreen wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Same sentiments, mate..
On the green, I feel that they should ban female golfers shorts (those really short ones).. Just doesn't look right..
Recently Saw a guy trying to smoke his way into sentosa golf club Hse wearing flip flops.. He got 'prosecuted'. Shame on him...

I think entertainment places like Clubs/Bars/Pubs, people usually are more lax on women attires due to the obvious ... But not sure if it is also applied to Golf courses ...

lol!
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Last Saturday morning (wrote wrongly earlier as Sunday) at Poresia I saw someone from afar wearing black "stocking" with pink bermudas trying to retrieve the ball at Sakura Par 5 water hazard. Told my flightmate the "Ah Nia" if not careful might fall into the steep slope whilst trying to retrieve "her" ball. On clearer observation after my flightmate told me it's a guy (my eyesights are failing me), wah lau eh, it's a Jap. Shocked He wore a pink bermudas with black stockings to protect his legs (I believe or just being fashion conscious). The colour coordination and clothings is so amusing and feminine. I should have taken a picture.

Last edited by TDO on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:04 pm

TDO wrote:
Last Sunday at Poresia I saw someone from afar wearing black "stocking" with pink bermudas trying to retrieve the ball at Sakura Par 5 water hazard. Told my flightmate the "Ah Nia" if not careful might fall into the steep slope whilst trying to retrieve "her" ball. On clearer observation after my flightmate told me it's a guy (my eyesights are failing me), wah lau eh, it's a Jap. Shocked He wore a pink bermudas with black stockings to protect his legs (I believe or just being fashion conscious). The colour coordination and clothings is so amusing and feminine. I should have taken a picture.
 affraid on a guy????
Now this is really criminal.... punishable by 'death' by the Social & Fashion Act... HELP
Back to top Go down
dukes4
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:15 pm

If only u took a pic
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Maybe it is a pair of compression tights which he was wearing ... I have seen male golfer wears Skin Compression tights for golf with burmuda ...
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Turbo wrote:
Maybe it is a pair of compression tights which he was wearing ... I have seen male golfer wears Skin Compression tights for golf with burmuda ...

I think that's it. Black compression tights. But why Pink Bermuda? My God!!! scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
ozzy888
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ozzy888

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 12:42 am

beauty is in the eye of the beholder...maybe it is normal in Japan ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is proper golf attire?   What is proper golf attire? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is proper golf attire?
Page 1 of 1