Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Critical Variables

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

Critical Variables Empty
PostSubject: Critical Variables   Critical Variables I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Between your technique, your mental game and your tactical approach to playing or practicing, there are a lot of variables that can determine your performance on the golf course.  Some of these variables are going to be far more critical than others and it's important to be able differentiate the critical variables from the not so critical so that you direct your attention to the critical stuff while you practice and play.

I think golfers often miss the critical stuff because they don't take the time or don't know how  check in with what's important and separate it from what's not.  They work on the wrong stuff.  Like the golfer who tries every swing tip for more distance without ever checking in to find out that they are losing distance because they are constantly missing the sweet spot.  If they changed the purpose from swing for distance to swing for pure contact, they would take the critical first step to more distance. 

As a coach, I determine what's critical by making sure I've first checked in with with my student around a number of topics.  I'm going to observe and ask questions about things like ball flight and contact, concentration, purpose, balance, tension, game plan and tactical approach, and then use all that info to decide what's critical.  Then I need to check in with my student to make sure that my idea of critical resonates with them.  Once we're on the same page we can get to work on the critical stuff and make serious improvements.

It's also really important that I teach my students how and what to check in with so that they can do it on their own and don't need to run to coach every time something is a little off.  

I think that's best way to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

Critical Variables Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critical Variables   Critical Variables I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 pm

The most difficult for me is consistency in ball impact. Be it driver, irons and even putter...
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Critical Variables Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critical Variables   Critical Variables I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Totally agree on your contact example. 

I am fortunate to have a few young pros as golfing kakis and am able to observe their swing up close and ask questions.

I found out how they made sure that they made great contact with their ball so that the stored energy of theirs is optimally transferred.  

Their focus on maintaining a smooth tempo so that their angles are not lost. 

Their Critical Variables are, in fact, very doable for us amateurs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Critical Variables Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critical Variables   Critical Variables I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Critical Variables
Page 1 of 1