Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?

Go down 
+3
TheFocalPoint
slinger
solarpop
7 posters
AuthorMessage
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? Empty
PostSubject: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 12:25 am

Hi guys,

Need help again on rules..

I was on a par 5, hit my 2nd shot which landed on the fairway but rolled into an uncovered drain in the rough. The drain was not marked as a hazard, and was not in OB.

Do i take a penalty stroke? Or does this qualify as relief?

In the end we decided i should get a free lift since it's an immovable man made obstruction. Where i usually play at Sembawang, all the drains are marked as lateral hazards so it's quite straight forward.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 12:32 am

need to know house rules, which shd be stated in the score card..........
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 12:56 am

if you dun see any red stakes lining the drain on the side of the hole in play, it's a free drop.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 1:05 am

FP is right, the stakes are dead giveaways
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 8:19 pm

oh, so if you are not beyond red stakes or if there isn't any stakes around, it shall be a free drop for ball in long kang ah..

Does this rule remain no matter wat long kang?
Sometimes there are slighly bigger long kang, for example, 2nd hole of Mandai Par 4, there is long kang on the right. Can that be free drop?

flower
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 8:51 pm

TheFocalPoint wrote:
if you dun see any red stakes lining the drain on the side of the hole in play, it's a free drop.

Not really, slinger was right first time, it will be on card, sometimes the drains are part of the cart path. So the local rules will cover it.

Sometimes it is a free drop sometimes they decide.. "well you should not have hit it there" always read the local rules, as they can override the "rules of golf"
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:19 am

Roystonnn wrote:

Does this rule remain no matter wat long kang?
Sometimes there are slighly bigger long kang, for example, 2nd hole of Mandai Par 4, there is long kang on the right. Can that be free drop?

flower

I think the long kang is hazard for mandai hole 2 left and right of the fairway
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Something relevant:

Always check the scorecard of the particular course you are playing. You never know some peculiar local rules that may not apply elsewhere.

An eg will be if your ball is in the groove of the fringe between the green and apron. Keppel allows a free lift and place within 6" of the spot but this is a local rule oni. It doesn't mean it might be the same for lets say SICC, TMCC or whereever.

Most impt, read them. They might always play to ur advantage.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Nothing was mentioned on the card, we checked. And like i mentioned in the first post, it wasn't marked, ie no stakes, nothing.

This being the case, it was a free drop right?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:57 pm

I guess if thats the case, no stakes and no local rule you would just take relief........
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?   Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball in a drain - qualifies for relief?
Page 1 of 1