Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful

Go down 
+14
jeffman88
akhild
nutty88
pug
beehome
ChrisD
Ant
DGman
chien
teegem
hkhamateur
TDO
Kopi Towkay
TigaWood
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful Empty
PostSubject: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 5:35 am

I received an email from my "client" telling me to TT USD51,140 to a US account. 
He say he will be busy travelling and at that time I was in Shenzhen.
He also ask me to send him his latest statement after the transfer.
As he was travelling and I'm in China, he did not reply my what's app.
So I raised a TT from his trading account to the US account and send his balance statement to him.
After a while later "he" forwarded an email from the broker asking him to authorised the transaction.
He ask me for his Password and User ID and I send it to him.

About an hour later my client email and ask me what's all these TT!
I replied, didn't you ask for it?
He call me on phone immediately and told me WE HAVE BEEN SCAMMED, I DID NOT SEND YOU THE EMAIL!!!!!
I panicked, we both called USA broker to stop the transaction.
Fortunately, we managed to stop it in time.
I was stupid enough to give the password and ID to him........there were more than a quarter million in that account! While writing now, I'm breaking into cold sweat.

Apparently, this guy broke into our emails and knew what's going on between us.
I didn't suspect anything and he can intercept all our mails and 
use my client's email to communicate the way my client would with me.

Shortly after this incident, my instagram, twitter and other mails were compromised.
Once any of your email been compromise chances the rest will follow suite.

So, be warned! when you receive email asking for money from friend or relative, make sure you make the call first!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 7:03 am

Wow! That's scary.  Be careful for sure.  Or call the NSA and ask them to pull up the files and track down who the culprit was. They're watching everything.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 8:26 am

I think it's important to change your password every few months. 
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 9:09 am

Just mth ago, one of my colleague kena!!Shocked
Went out n met him somemore..No
Bt apparently claimed w documents tat he s his personnal secretary n runner. affraid

Last edited by hkhamateur on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
teegem
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
teegem

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 9:15 am

I think that this is a timely reminder for us to be vigilant at all times. Tq
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 9:38 am

Don't you need at least a Voice Log (phone confirmation) before you could transact the accounts?

I think thats the primary requirements in many financial institutions now.. For mine at least...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 10:11 am

In the UK, when they steal a phone, they are not interested in the phone but the content and identity ownership. i was told at one party, more than 25 phones got stolen. these are not scammers but high tech thieves. 

at least the money did not go through in your case but its still important to ensure that your identity is not stolen and misuse.

take care.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 11:29 am

Same thing happened to one of my golf kaki customer. The customer said that he recieved an email asking for payment with my friend's company email address on it with instruction to transfer money to a new account. But on closer look at the email, it was a forged email address with an "extra" alphabet on it. That customer being too busy without checking just proceed to do so and lost more than USD 100k payment for goods.... Ouch.......!! Shocked Shocked  poor guy....

These scammers are getting really good......
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 11:35 am

Luckily my account don't even have the money to transfer.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 11:59 am

Wah bro TW, luckily u stop it in time. Thanks for highlighting this scam. I will be more careful from now onwards.
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 1:46 pm

It is likely that there is a malware (e.g. keylogger) installed on your laptop such that this guy is able to know passwords to all your account. Do get your machines checked. Changing passwords will not help since he will be able to know the new passwords if the malware is still present.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 1:57 pm

There was once I posted a phone for sale in ebay and got a reply from a lady in Nigeria. Her email message was very convincing, that she wanted to buy for her son in the states. She even attached a bank draft from Bank of America and informed me that I need to ship out the phone before the money can be released. I then wrote in to BOA and was told that it wasn't a genuine draft from the bank. Needless to say, I just ignored the buyer completely.

In the modern world of digitization, one must exercise extreme caution when transacting over the internet. Tigawood, lucky for you or else the arsehole will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:02 pm

This is the place where you should highlight on all these scams
391 New Bridge Road #06-701
Police Cantonment Complex Block D
Singapore 088762
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Scary as hell. Ups for awareness
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Wow as I read i thought u were recalling someone else's experience then i realised it was u...Smile
Thx for sharing ...
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:50 pm

Kopi Towkay wrote:
Wow! That's scary.  Be careful for sure.  Or call the NSA and ask them to pull up the files and track down who the culprit was. They're watching everything.
They found out it was from Nigeria.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:51 pm

chien wrote:
Don't you need at least a Voice Log (phone confirmation) before you could transact the accounts?

I think thats the primary requirements in many financial institutions now.. For mine at least...
It's a private fund.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:52 pm

pug wrote:
It is likely that there is a malware (e.g. keylogger) installed on your laptop such that this guy is able to know passwords to all your account. Do get your machines checked. Changing passwords will not help since he will be able to know the new passwords if the malware is still present.
I'm using Mac, any software to recommend?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:54 pm

nutty88 wrote:
There was once I posted a phone for sale in ebay and got a reply from a lady in Nigeria. Her email message was very convincing, that she wanted to buy for her son in the states. She even attached a bank draft from Bank of America and informed me that I need to ship out the phone before the money can be released. I then wrote in to BOA and was told that it wasn't a genuine draft from the bank. Needless to say, I just ignored the buyer completely.

In the modern world of digitization, one must exercise extreme caution when transacting over the internet. Tigawood, lucky for you or else the arsehole will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Yes, they were from Nigeria too.
The US broker track it down , but can't do much.
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Since last year, my company has encountered thrice where my company emails got hacked and the hackers sent forged invoice to my buyer demanding for payment. Thrice we managed to detect and avoid tragedy. We made police report to the police but they did not react at all. Wonder what else we can do?

Which malware software should we get to clean up our system?
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 10:02 pm

last year i also kena usd70,000. fella is from ghana. be careful guys, esp in china, hacking is very common crime at this moment. mine didnt get hacked, but my supplier's email got hacked and asked me to TT to him.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 10:15 pm

audi wrote:
last year i also kena usd70,000. fella is from ghana. be careful guys, esp in china, hacking is very common crime at this moment. mine didnt get hacked, but my supplier's email got hacked and asked me to TT to him.
Walau ar...Mad
Tats smart! drunken
U ll definately think tat u ve nt pay yr supplier yet fr either work commencement or job completion. Cool
Damn, we reali gotta b careful. Laughing
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 10:23 pm

but i think this ghana is working together with someone inside the company. cos not long after i signed contract, they emailed me and asking for payment. so i did. now really must be careful in doing business.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 12:10 am

Many scams are from East Europe, Africa, China, or even friendly Thailand. Just cannot be too trusting with sites from these countries. Even if the websites starts with https://. Mad 
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 5:36 am

They know my client travels a lot and invest in oversea property.
That is why I did not suspect anything when he ask me to transfer the money
and say he will be busy to be contactable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful   I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I almost got scamed off USD51,140 , be very careful
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next