Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Off day at the range or course

Go down 
+11
vinjess
neutralgolfer
Ssquirrel
KCL
beehome
nutty88
sob
timang84
simon1982
cactuzone
flashpacker
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Off day at the range or course Empty
PostSubject: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi guys,

Just had a big off day at the range and couldnt hit any balls well.
First time for me. Any tips to recover and esp when you are on the course?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am

Had similar experience, just go back to basics. Like grip, swing, ball position, etc.
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
simon1982

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:53 am

If you ask me off day at range or course, of course I will choose to go course and straightaway inform my golf buddies to go together haha. how to recover esp on course? I will just try to keep cool and calm and concentrate on the next shot.
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 10:05 am

I think it's fatigue. just like effects of "dead leg" for soccer. take a break and focus on chipping and wedge shots for next prac session.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 am

Beer helps!Razz
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 am

Normally when I have off day at the range, I will play well on course. Don't use up all the good shots at the range.

On a serious note, we all experience that. Just take it easy and don't think about your swing mechanics while playing on course. The more you think, the more you will screw up.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 pm

nutty88 wrote:
don't think about your swing mechanics while playing on course. The more you think, the more you will screw up.
bro, what u said is very true. Presently I am doing exactly this. I am shanking my irons recently n I m thinking of my swing mechanics more n more. Now i shank even more........incredible.

I just don't understand why. Hence I am kind of losing interest in the game recently. 

But it is very difficult, if not, almost impossible not to think leh. Angry!
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Mental fatigue. Relax, don't try too hard and just enjoy the game. Your tempo will come back. When you try too hard, you get tensed, everything is now rushed, tempo also screwed.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:09 pm

beehome wrote:
nutty88 wrote:
don't think about your swing mechanics while playing on course. The more you think, the more you will screw up.
bro, what u said is very true. Presently I am doing exactly this. I am shanking my irons recently n I m thinking of my swing mechanics more n more. Now i shank even more........incredible.

I just don't understand why. Hence I am kind of losing interest in the game recently. 

But it is very difficult, if not, almost impossible not to think leh. Angry!
Best is don't bet with others cos it might add undue pressure which will cause you to think too much. Try to use short irons and play lay up golf especially for par 4s. It is always better to walk away with bogey then to blow the hole. Who knows, you may end up getting a few pars if your putting is heng. I try to focus more on my setup and alignment while on the golf course and just swing away. The moment you think about swing mechanics after your setup, back away and re-setup but make sure you don't hold up the game.
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi Beehome, you are probably standing too close to the ball leading to shank shots.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:39 pm

KCL wrote:
Hi Beehome, you are probably standing too close to the ball leading to shank shots.
I used to think it is because I stand too close to the ball and now I stretched too far forward which causes my swing to go super haywire and I am no longer able to hit my natural draw. i also started to place my iron more towards the toe to avoid the dreaded shanks. These two changes have completely messed up my swing and i am trying very hard to undo it.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:46 pm

thks KCL & nutty88. will try to be more relax next game. Bro sob's advice also good, haha!

Seriously now I am afraid to even use my irons accept for chipping!!!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:53 pm

KCL wrote:
Golf is a game of opposites, you are probably standing too far from the ball, tipping over ever so slightly on your downswing..albino
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 4:12 pm

I would say it is more due to fatique. Rest for 2-3 days with good sleep, you should be ok again.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Last Thur I went to range and hit like shit. Driver, irons n wedges cant work. Maybe out of 20 balls, only about 5 is good and the rest (better dun say). However I went to course on Sun and suprisingly turn out well and good score. So I think this is up & down game. Cant be good all the time Smile
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
KCL wrote:
Golf is a game of opposites, you are probably standing too far from the ball, tipping over ever so slightly on your downswing..albino

Out-to-in swing plane can also cause shanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Was shanking quite a bit sometime back with my short irons, was too close to the ball and steep with AOA.

It went away after set up correction.
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Until now I still dunno the correct distance from our body to the ball. Just go by feel. Anyone here can enlighten me?
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:30 pm

vinjess wrote:
Until now I still dunno the correct distance from our body to the ball. Just go by feel. Anyone here can enlighten me?
about one fist for irons and one fist plus one thumb for driver.
Others somewhere in between.

Some people say  hands hanging straight down when in your normal over the ball posture. would be the correct distance.

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
jumpz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jumpz

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 6:37 pm

sob wrote:
Beer helps!Razz
Thats my favourite suggestion.Beer
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:17 pm

sob wrote:
Beer helps!Razz
Absolutely.. I'm walking living example.. Laughing 

Sob.. wanna do a beer game ? cheers
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:32 pm

vinjess wrote:
Take your practice swing, your club head will track along a certain path from your body. You want the ball to be in that path. That should be the correct distance from the body. That's just what I think. Correct me if I am wrong.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 pm

sob wrote:
vinjess wrote:

Some people say  hands hanging straight down when in your normal over the ball posture. would be the correct distance.

A fist with the thumb sticking out is a good gauge out on the course. This is for all full shots with irons to woods in the bag. It shouldn't change whatever the length of the club. Keep the constant of fist and thumb distance and let the shaft length of the club dictate its lie angle naturally. The only exceptions when you want your hands closer to your body are when you chip and putt.

The other alternative is to have your hands hang directly under the shoulders. Just assume your setup posture and without taking your grip, let your arms hang loosely. Gravity will do the work. For visual confirmation, do this at home while standing sideways to at least a half body length mirror.

Hope this helps clear the fog. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Birdman wrote:
sob wrote:
vinjess wrote:

A fist with the thumb sticking out is a good gauge out on the course. This is for all full shots with irons to woods in the bag. It shouldn't change whatever the length of the club. Keep the constant of fist and thumb distance and let the shaft length of the club dictate its lie angle naturally. The only exceptions when you want your hands closer to your body are when you chip and putt.

The other alternative is to have your hands hang directly under the shoulders. Just assume your setup posture and without taking your grip, let your arms hang loosely. Gravity will do the work. For visual confirmation, do this at home while standing sideways to at least a half body length mirror.

Hope this helps clear the fog. Very Happy
Chim.... but i will try it out.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:14 pm

chien wrote:
sob wrote:
Beer helps!Razz
Absolutely.. I'm walking living example.. Laughing 

Sob.. wanna do a beer game ? cheers
Bro Chien fyi I don't look anything like my avatar:P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off day at the range or course   Off day at the range or course I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Off day at the range or course
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next