Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction Empty
PostSubject: Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction   Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 6:28 pm

http://www.golfwrx.com/132985/old-school-vs-new-school-instruction/

Folks 
I came across this interesting argument 

It seeks to strike a balance that both are important 

What's your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction   Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 pm

A very diplomatic write up.

I would agree both are important. 

Trackman shows us information neither the naked eye or video can see. Critical information in fact.

Though we must understand that it has it's limitations. It cannot teach us basic fundementals, rythm or tempo.

But if understood correctly, it's numbers are indeed powerful. It has helped my students achieve results faster. It has helped educate the golfing population on ball flight even.

it's indeed mind boggling when someone tells me it's a 'self explanatory' product or as Brandel says its 'bad for golf' It truly is especially when Trackman is in my opinion,a necessary teaching tool.

I guess it comes from the impression that golf becomes 'a lot more technical' The irony is that in most cases,  over critical video analysis has proven detrimental to ball flight optimisation, not numbers. In fact understanding the numbers correctly can help enhance feel to hit a certain shot.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction   Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks Justin for sharing

Here is another article with tour stats that challenge the view that golf radar systems are bad for golfer's swing
http://www.golfwrx.com/127394/true-or-false-golf-radar-systems-are-ruining-golf/
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction   Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 am

The trackman shows what the club is doing to the ball.  The numbers are facts, not opinions.  Physics is physics. 

The coach has the key role of understanding what the student is doing in his/her particular swing that is generating those numbers, and design a program to help the student achieve better numbers, which translates to better and more consistent ball striking.

I have not had the chance or the opportunity to take a lesson supported by a flight monitor.  I would love to.  From fooling around with trackman at various locations, esp BFG, I have realised that feel, especially for a social golfer of my limited skill level, can be deceiving.   One example would be when I decided to see if I could reach a swing speed of 100mph with my driver.  When I tried to use more force, not only was the ball speed and distance less (poor smash factor, wrong AOA, excessive side spin), the actual club speed was also less.  Obviously I do not know the proper technique to swing the club faster, so by trying to hit it harder, I am getting the exact opposite result.  From a "feel" perspective, it felt more powerful, but it actually was not.  Which then triggered me to get some help from a Pro.

In any case, all golfers have different levels to receptiveness to accurate technical data.  Even for myself, while I am very open to know this information about my swing.  I refuse to find out anything about my putter stroke.  In fact, I don't even want to know where my putter face is aiming.  No logic to it, just an irrational fear that if I find out too much, I might contract the "YIPS".  It isn't that I am such a great putter anyway ... like I said ... just irrational.  I probably would benefit from a session if I could just approach it with a receptive, open mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction   Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old School vs New School (golf radar dependent) Golf Instruction
Page 1 of 1