Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield

Go down 
+41
NikeN
9points
Derek
Dragonz18
DGman
AMC
kyleyann
ParTee
Elephant789
asahi
GooGie
costajos
Sean76
sebastianlim
zhikang
Denis
CKT61
Daztasiumz
fata
SF
WY
Rafj
salaqinc
Technospaz
s-killer
Duval_S
Leo
XD1293
Khorkar
flashpacker
kenneth18
mengteck71
hkhamateur
scottycollector
enwee
pocketace
bogeyman72
gunship
jtek
Turbo
18underPar
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Elephant789
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Elephant789

Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 am

Good job, Lefty.
Back to top Go down
ParTee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ParTee

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 7:23 am

To shoot a 66 at Muirfield, Phil deserves to win the British Open.
What a comeback, from +2 to -3... a very popular champion although
many were hoping LW can make it, well done and with this win,
he will move up a few notches in the world ranking.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 am

mengteck71 wrote:
pocketace wrote:
I am gunning for Phil Mickelson! 

Yes I know hardly anyone won the Open if they won the previous week's Scottish Open

But I think PM is very motivated and enjoyed the challenge of playing links style

He has the shots to execute from his arsenal of shots

Hope Left will prevail.

If not, then I hope Paul Casey will give it a good run, his game is coming back recently

I also like Brendan Grace

Sergio? Hmm, I don't know.

If Phil wins, I will convert back to callaway for whole set Razz

Hmm... time to change back to Callaway again Smile
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:19 am

BTW, was Stenson using legacy black irons?
Back to top Go down
AMC
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:26 am

mengteck71 wrote:
mengteck71 wrote:
pocketace wrote:
I am gunning for Phil Mickelson! 

Yes I know hardly anyone won the Open if they won the previous week's Scottish Open

But I think PM is very motivated and enjoyed the challenge of playing links style

He has the shots to execute from his arsenal of shots

Hope Left will prevail.

If not, then I hope Paul Casey will give it a good run, his game is coming back recently

I also like Brendan Grace

Sergio? Hmm, I don't know.

If Phil wins, I will convert back to callaway for whole set Razz

Hmm... time to change back to Callaway again Smile

Woah change whole set ???
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 am

Not a fan of leftie....but he show resilience and a lot of patience to come back from 5 behind to win. and to win in that style and condition, i respect his dedication to his profession. many will think that he might have the right moment, but for an american to master the links, PM has put in a lot of hours training for this........
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 am

He really powered his FWs to win. Classy act, Phil! Well done!!
Back to top Go down
Dragonz18
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Dragonz18

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 am

Congratz Phil, you deserved:cheers:  to win.....................
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 am

its easy to say its the equipment....but every golfer on the first 2 pages of the leaderboard have special access to equipment that enable them to play better. 

at the end of the day, its still down to the golfer.....and for that, its the right motivation and will to succeed prevails over equipment, skills and talent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:20 am

Genius of Phil'
Thursday.. complain abt set up..R&A Responds by watering the course

Next execute his strategy under conditions he desires
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:25 am

I agree, DGman, but don't you think that given how the course played... luck was also a huge factor?

I saw golfers who hit great shots but because of a bad bounce, they ended up in the bunker while others who hit poor shots somehow were fortunate as their ball bounced in a safe manner and rolled up to the hole. It was somewhat erratic and frankly, I didn't quite enjoy this year's Open. It seemed far too hit and miss for me.
Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:25 am

Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 am

Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 am

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 am

costajos wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Congrats to PM and his lovely family ... Callaway

+1 like

PM's caddy/friend/partner, Bone McKay was very emotional over his win ... He shed tears after the final round and he shed tears again after his boss received the Claret Jug ... Not only the golfer's pure talent & skill are necessary, having a solid and experience partner cum caddy helps ... PM mentioned in his post-final round interview that there were 3 irons that could possibly play the same shot because of the wind condition, his caddy helps him to decide many a time ... Superman
Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:44 am

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:45 am

Technospaz wrote:
I agree, DGman, but don't you think that given how the course played... luck was also a huge factor?

I saw golfers who hit great shots but because of a bad bounce, they ended up in the bunker while others who hit poor shots somehow were fortunate as their ball bounced in a safe manner and rolled up to the hole. It was somewhat erratic and frankly, I didn't quite enjoy this year's Open. It seemed far too hit and miss for me.

Luck favours the prepared....for this I feel Leftie had prepared well and hard to garner this win.

He thoroughly deserves it for the dedication in practice and perseverance to grind out the required pars and birdies.

Callaway
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:48 am

Phil's winning WITB -

Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 1b5b1ae87bb5fee5278368eaa28a4872
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:50 am

Phil's winning putter ... Picture courtesy of GOLFWRX.

Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 Putter6
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:52 am

Phil's winning setup

3 Wood: Callaway X Hot 3Deep
Loft: 13 Degrees
Shaft: Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki K 70X
Length: 43.25 Inches
Hybrid: Ping Anser (17 degrees)
Shaft: Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage
Irons: Callaway X Forged 2013 (4-PW)
Shafts: KBS Tour V1 (4 iron), KBS Tour V2 Shafts (5-PW)
Wedges: Callaway X Series Jaws (52, 56), Callaway Mack Daddy 2 (60, 64)
Shafts: KBS Tour V2 Shafts
Putter: Odyssey Versa #9 (White/Black/White) with milled sight line in flange and black White Hot Pro insert
Length: 34 inches
Loft: 3.5 degrees
Lie: 75 degrees
Grip: SuperStroke Slim 3.0 (Black/White)
Ball: Callaway HEX Chrome +
Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:58 am

Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 %7B5C04BB0C-8076-4D00-B15A-832D6806DAF2%7D174170604_10
Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 am

Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 %7B47436AEC-03CB-4D29-B013-CEB6EF2B6CB0%7D174164489_10
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 am

asahi wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Luck favours the prepared....for this I feel Leftie had prepared well and hard to garner this win.

He thoroughly deserves it for the dedication in practice and perseverance to grind out the required pars and birdies.

Callaway

While I agree with the statement, I don't think it's a fair remark here. I'm sure a lot of the golfers came prepared but in this case, it's not about golfers not knowing that the green is fast, bunkers are deep or rough is thick. Rather, it's about golfers hitting really good shots into the fairway or green and then watching in dismay as the ball ricochets into the bunker or the rough, or hitting a stinger into the green but because it's more slippery than ice, watching into run way past and into the rough behind.

I know... it's all part of golf but I felt that the course wasn't necessarily ideal. There were some really good outcomes and some horrific ones. But most of all, I felt that it wasn't within the golfers' control which made it difficult to appreciate.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 11:54 am

PM mentions in his pre-competition interview how he felt that the players who would excel would be those that have excellent skill and "touch" within 40 yards ...

This week showed that even the best players in the world have problems hitting greens under Open conditions, and had to rely on how well they could scramble

Of course, to win, PM also hit a lot of fantastic wood and iron shots ...

So for us social golfers, perhaps the question we can ask ourselves is (and the answer will be different for each golfer) ... which is easier for you?  Improve your short/mid irongs, long irons/hybrids and woods to a level where you hit most GIRs?  OR improve your short game so that you have a chance of making an "up and down" or at worst 1 pitch/chip and 2 putts ...

I would hazard a guess that for the majority of golfers who are struggling to play to a "bogey" course Par of 90, you will get more mileage from sharpening your short game.  It will take less time and less effort as compared to trying to develop a technically sound full swing.  I am not saying don't work on the full swing, just cautioning that if your current plan is to wait until you have a sound full swing before working on your short game, the day might never come ...

Of course, for the more skilled players (those who aim to shoot in the 70s and below Par), I am sure you guys already know how to analyse your games and what you need to do ...
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Derek wrote:
PM mentions in his pre-competition interview how he felt that the players who would excel would be those that have excellent skill and "touch" within 40 yards ...

This week showed that even the best players in the world have problems hitting greens under Open conditions, and had to rely on how well they could scramble

Of course, to win, PM also hit a lot of fantastic wood and iron shots ...

So for us social golfers, perhaps the question we can ask ourselves is (and the answer will be different for each golfer) ... which is easier for you?  Improve your short/mid irongs, long irons/hybrids and woods to a level where you hit most GIRs?  OR improve your short game so that you have a chance of making an "up and down" or at worst 1 pitch/chip and 2 putts ...

I would hazard a guess that for the majority of golfers who are struggling to play to a "bogey" course Par of 90, you will get more mileage from sharpening your short game.  It will take less time and less effort as compared to trying to develop a technically sound full swing.  I am not saying don't work on the full swing, just cautioning that if your current plan is to wait until you have a sound full swing before working on your short game, the day might never come ...

Of course, for the more skilled players (those who aim to shoot in the 70s and below Par), I am sure you guys already know how to analyse your games and what you need to do ...

Very well said Derek and I completely agree with your thoughts.

In addition, I think when one is able to improve on his short game and able to count on them when one is having an off day with ball striking, they can still get up and down to salvage what could have been a bad round into at least a mediocre round, which is not too bad at all.

If one is able to rely on his/her short game abilities to get up and down in trouble times, it could even take some pressure off their long game and they might even swing more freely --> better outcomes Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield   Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Preview: British Open 2013 @ Muirfield
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next