Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which 3 wood is easier to launch?

Go down 
+27
hkhamateur
mengteck71
jason.koh.54966
tronos
pushslice
sob
chien
Turbo
slinger
Najibapark
abadan
Roystonnn
golfer1975
blee67
B8383B
renode
Vinny
beehome
divotee
Technospaz
bogeyman72
sagiteric
jeffman88
eiji
darren.loo
gino
danielleecm
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

Which 3 wood is easier to launch? Empty
PostSubject: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:59 am

hi all, no sure if my question has been discussed before. Am using a 910F 15 degree 3 wood and was hitting quite will in the range but duff a few time during game. Found that this 3 wood difficult to hit and is there any advise from the people here if its true that 910F is more difficult to hit than other brand and model. Is there any other 3 wood easier to hit? Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
gino
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:16 am

I will not hit a 3 wood on course unless it's a perfect lie aka fairway and flat but I'm a high handicapper. I'm not sure if the 910F is harder to hit but my educated guess is still the swing makes a bigger difference on whether if you hit the 3 wood pure (which of course meant that the ball will launch) than the club itself most of the time. Having said that, I'm on the TM Burner (reshafted) and it has not disappointed.
Back to top Go down
darren.loo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
darren.loo

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am

danielleecm wrote:
hi all, no sure if my question has been discussed before. Am using a 910F 15 degree 3 wood and was hitting quite will in the range but duff a few time during game. Found that this 3 wood difficult to hit and is there any advise from the people here if its true that 910F is more difficult to hit than other brand and model. Is there any other 3 wood easier to hit? Thanks in advance
I have tried the Cobra Baffler and XHot 3 wood. I found it easier to launch as compared to my current Covert 3 wood.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 am

Ping woods are pretty easy to launch.

I am using PRGR Egg, easy to launch and pretty forgiving and long but its pricey.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 am

If a 3W is hard to hit consistently might be better to change to a 5W? At least its shorter, higher loft angle and supposedly easier to achieve launch (than same brand 3W) and resulting distance and accuracy shd be enhanced - all which definitely shd be superior to an inconsistent 3W launch ... Compromise may be a 4W? Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
sagiteric
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:39 am

My experience with fairway wood..

Inconsistent with 3W hence change to a 4W and eventually down to a 5W (Cleveland Brand)..

Dump my 5W again since I hit better using hybrid clubs (Callaway Brand)..Although distance lost but accuracy is there and no regrets so far..

Cheers
Back to top Go down
sagiteric
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 am

eiji wrote:

I am using PRGR Egg, easy to launch and pretty forgiving and long but its pricey.

I tried my friends PRGR Egg and got poisoned with it!

Yes, it comes with a high price tag too..

Cheers
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 am

xhot...... xhot...... xhot.....

no more $$ to buy though.....

Sad
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:04 am

eiji wrote:

I've seen eiji whip out the PRGR Egg when I played against him. Made me want to break his club. Almost too easy to use - at least that's what I saw being done.
Back to top Go down
divotee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
divotee

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 am

I had a titleist 910fd and traded it off for an R11s. I found the titleist hard to launch too bro. Have no idea why too. The 3 wood that I found easiest to launch was my old taylormade R5. Unfortunately the face cracked and have been changing clubs ever since. But recently tried a friends Callaway hot with fubuki k stiff shaft and it was a dream. Would highly recommend it.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 am

I have similar experience like bro Jeffman88. Now I am using my 5W more than my 3W. Consistency is definitely better.

Another consideration for woods is the face - deep or shallow. For me, I cannot hit deep-faced wood on green. Tends to daft. It is only good for tee-off.

Agree that Ping woods are quite easy to launch.

Heard a lot about the Eggspoon. Would love to try it, no chance though but the price is too high.

Alternatively to woods, use hybrids. Some ppl are just very good with hybrids and vice versa.

Have fun with your journey. I am also still experimenting. cheers
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Likewise, I too am struggling with my 3 wood off the deck lately, but changing the club hardly crossed my mind whereas hitting the range more often to tame the 3 wood has become an obsession........

If you have a 3 wood in the bag it would either be the go to club on Par 5s (2nd shot) or the tee shot since its easier to launch this club with the ball teed up.  Why not consider a 4, 5 wood or even a hybrid (coupled with a distance ball) in progressing the ball when the incremental interim distance between the 3 wood to the hybrid is minimal and how often do we get the ball on the green in 2 on a Par 5?  Golf is a game of variation and never a default........

It's either in the SWING or LOFT lol!
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:18 pm

The easiest 3 wood I've hit is the maruman shuttle m-sole. Played it with stock shaft and very easy to use.

Next is my current burner 07 TP, the sound of crisp contact is addictive.
Back to top Go down
B8383B
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 pm

My vote goes to Muruman older shuttle A n F series.

And I m sure many others who have tried will agree.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Vinny wrote:
Likewise, I too am struggling with my 3 wood off the deck lately, but changing the club hardly crossed my mind whereas hitting the range more often to tame the 3 wood has become an obsession........

If you have a 3 wood in the bag it would either be the go to club on Par 5s (2nd shot) or the tee shot since its easier to launch this club with the ball teed up.  Why not consider a 4, 5 wood or even a hybrid (coupled with a distance ball) in progressing the ball when the incremental interim distance between the 3 wood to the hybrid is minimal and how often do we get the ball on the green in 2 on a Par 5?  Golf is a game of variation and never a default........

It's either in the SWING or LOFT lol!

Looking at the way you hit, it is not a loft issues.. Smile
Back to top Go down
golfer1975
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi,

I'm using 913 FD 3 Wood with not problem launching, but I found RBZ Version 1 3 wood is quite forgiving and give slight more distance compared to 913. RBZ Sound nice too.....

Cheers

Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 pm

danielleecm wrote:

If u r hitting it quite well at range but duff few times at course, maybe there isnt any problem at all? Probably some one-off factors that caused the duff?
Like ground uneven or u r kan chiong & not focus?

For me, I tried Ping G10, G15, TM 07 burner, superfast & R11 & also maruman shuttle & titleist 909 & 910.

I can launch the shuttle & titleist better & straighter.
I think u really need to go try those clubs to decide. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:01 pm

I guess most of you who have problems hitting your Fairway woods off the deck seem to be hitting the deeper faced models. 909, 910. 

And those who can hit are hitting the low profile ones like shuttle, xhot, cobra.

Try hitting fairway woods that have lower profiles, with shallower faces. 

Deeper faced woods will have a rounder bottom and usually more rounded at the back of the clubhead. Lower profile woods will have a flatter bottom and a sharper rear end. Bet that has something to do with the CG of the club. But i'm not too sure on that so won't comment much Razz

go to any shop... pick up a few woods to try. make sure got at least 1 that is low profile. My guess is, u'll be able to hit the low profile one much better. 

Also, if you play a stiff shaft for ur driver, its ok to use R flex for woods. Helps with launching, higher trajectory and lands softer on greens. i,e wont roll so much. 

Bro Golfer1975's post is a very good example. switching from a deep faced 913 to a shallow faced RBZ.
Back to top Go down
Najibapark
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Najibapark

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 pm

try with Ladies flex first, then slowly get your momentum then R flex. that was what I did then took it out of the bag cause I don't really use it on course. 
razr x black fw also quite forgiving!! tried it secretly at the den Razz
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:13 pm

if your swing is sound.....

any wood also can launch....

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:27 pm

To me, whether the FW metal is a deep face or shallow face, it is the same ... I believe those who duff the FW metal is because they wanna kill the ball hard. Do not think hit hard, instead, think smooth rhythm, maintain your spine angle thru out the swing, grip light, arms must be relaxed thru out and remember to do a full shoulder turn ... To me, FW metal is a lot easier to hit than 2i or 3i ... Cheerz! cheers
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Daniel

I don't like the tits fw too. .  My current 3w is the old callaway razr hawk. It's not difficult to play and the feel is pretty nice when hit it well. . What 5w are you using? If you can game the 5w then you shouldn't have much issue with the 3..
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Any FW is the same as long as you swing it correct.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Maruman Shuttle! my skill is the same but this club has been the easiest so far. I tried/owned my fair share of woods already. Havent tried the xhot tho...coz shuttle has been good enough.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 5:45 pm

TM R7 3 wood....the head size just nice...the new 3 woods are almost driver like.... i rather swing "harder" with my hybrid than easy swing with my 3 wood...hybrid is easier to hit especially on not so good surfaces and distance is the same.

ppl watch too many Tiger Woods killing his 3 wood....but the feeling of puring a 3 wood of the deck is the best feeling in golf, bonus if the ball reach in the green in 2 (for par 5) and that eagle putt. Not many ppl can say they have an eagle putt from the green....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which 3 wood is easier to launch?   Which 3 wood is easier to launch? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which 3 wood is easier to launch?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next