Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Less than 40m to pin

Go down 
+15
Derek
Technospaz
herpderp
dmateo
DLWL
kamen
willytan
MLP
simoner
Winston
gunship
audi
nyisoe
renode
swine
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 pm

60 degree lob wedge for everything under 50m, I don't train with different irons for different chipping lengths. I subscribe to the method of using the lob wedge  for every green side shot be it high or low, by manipulating set up. While it takes time to learn the two techniques, it becomes terribly familiar to me and I have a constant feel, vs having to get use to different length clubs etc
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:09 pm

essentiale wrote:
60 degree lob wedge for everything under 50m, I don't train with different irons for different chipping lengths. I subscribe to the method of using the lob wedge  for every green side shot be it high or low, by manipulating set up. While it takes time to learn the two techniques, it becomes terribly familiar to me and I have a constant feel, vs having to get use to different length clubs etc

This doesn't work in long term... I used to do this too...
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Derek wrote:
Once of the best ways to practice this is at a quiet exec course, be it Mandai, NSRCC, Tanglin, etc etc

Go during the weekday and camp at one hole and practice hitting from varying distances

Alternatively, go to a grass driving range.

The key thing here is that for pitching, you have to practice from grass.  Much more so than for full iron shots.

You may be practicing something which you think is working at the range only to find that on the course it does not work, so you head back to the range to practice more, it works again on a range mat and fails again on the course.

All you are doing is ingraining a poor technique.

Where can I find grass driving range in SG? I do agreed that mat doesn't help improve my short game...
Thanks for the tips.
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Check out this vid. Focus on the sound of the wedges hitting the balls.
Clean and precise.

On Mat it is not so obvious when you fat the shot. On grass the chunking is more obvious.
So on mat. All the more must get clean contact. dun just see the shot. Must hear the clean crisp click of the club face. Then you know you are doing the right thing.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:47 pm

swine wrote:
essentiale wrote:

Perhaps your games are at different levels? It is not that polite to dismiss someone else's approach to the game offhand ...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Interesting, the first few shots in the video, the 40 yard shots, crisp contact but no divot ...
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 12:09 am

Derek wrote:
swine wrote:
essentiale wrote:

Perhaps your games are at different levels? It is not that polite to dismiss someone else's approach to the game offhand ...

No offence pls. This is open for knowledge sharing. I am speaking from personal opinion that this doesn't work for me as a long term solution which is the exact reason why I started this thread for advises. There are times I need the ball to roll more but with 60 is just doesn't roll much.
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 am

swine wrote:
Derek wrote:
swine wrote:
essentiale wrote:

No offence pls. This is open for knowledge sharing. I am speaking from personal opinion that this doesn't work for me as a long term solution which is the exact reason why I started this thread for advises. There are times I need the ball to roll more but with 60 is just doesn't roll much.

None taken Smile

I also use my 56 when I need more roll, sometimes the odd PW but not common at my home course as I usually rather to get it up over the breaks then to chip-putt many breaks on strong slopes.

I just don't think using LW-8I for chips works for me, too much practice with each club to get used to for every distance.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 5:08 pm

everyone has differrent approach. Some needs 4 wedges, some just 1.
I prefer to keep the 57 degress for anything under 80m and adjusts strenght and swing to get the distance. For Heights, I just use standard lie. Also practice extreme open faced to get the ball high and bite or to clear marina bay green side bunker and landed it to stop. Might works for some might not works, but this result on only 2 wedges on my bag.. one for 90m (51) and one for 80 and below (57).

Oh, yes other than putter that 57 wedge is my most used club. So if I do sell them be warned they are highly over used Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Less than 40m to pin - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Less than 40m to pin
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.