Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge

Go down 
+23
essentiale
Bangla123
mrkatsucurry
TDO
DLWL
timang84
jtek
bkll
eladnonnac
enwee
kamen
shamusan
TourSwing
Derek
CoastGuy
hillgreen
asahi
Quest
Turbo
civicsport08
nrafee
bryanachong
swine
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge Empty
PostSubject: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:53 am

Hi All,
It is only in a recent game that a casual conversation enlightened me that there might be something misfit with my 9 iron and P wedge. The problem is - both gives me 100m. Question is - which one should I leave it at home?

Happy Golfing!
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:01 pm

None. Haha maybe it's your swing?

Just saying!
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Swine,

Get your loft checked by a fitter. If your swing is fine, it should be the clubs.
Back to top Go down
civicsport08
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:49 pm

I think it is your swing which I always believes, get a coach.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Normally the difference is about 10m only between clubs.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks all.
Will go back to my coach for some advice.
Seriously thought it was the club because they were the same distance since new. I simply don't understand why. And the sand wedge hits 75m...
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Check the divot for both clubs. They should start after the ball if you strike down with the irons properly
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Cannot take 1 game results and assume so.

Give it a few more games, check it on the range to be more certain.

Mai kan cheong
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Going range now to find out the truth
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 6:28 pm

check if yr shaft length the same . assume yr shaft is the same.
Back to top Go down
CoastGuy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoastGuy

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 8:30 pm

If you just started out, then it might be your swing.
If not, like what Nrafee said, get your club's loft check by a club fitter.
Next best thing, is to get a good player to try your clubs and see if it happen to them too.

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Read a golf digest article once that report in a survey of various Golfers, those with hcap above 18 had a negligible distance difference between a PW and 9 iron. It was generally due to the quality of the ball contact.

Are any of your friends skilled Golfers? If you let them try the 2 clubs, do they also hit the ball the same distance with both clubs?
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 9:38 pm

While it could be the lofts of the two clubs, seems doubtful.

If I had to guess its because of the lack of shaft lean at impact. As the lofts increase so does the spin ... and your PW is ballooning on you, thus killing distance.

Does your PW go highhh? Good players have approx. the same max height the ball reaches for all their clubs!
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:51 pm

sometimes you have to tweak the lofts to get the necessary distance gaps, for a long time my PW was 45 degrees and my 9i was 41 degrees yet my gap was about 6m instead of my desired 10m, in the end i had my club fitter strengthen my 9i loft my 1.5 degrees so gain that extra 4m, also you might want to check your lofts with a good club fitter... some times the QC for the clubs are not so good, i had a set once that the PW came with 44 degrees of loft while my 9i had 43... thus giving me hardly any gap at all
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Went to the range and tried both 9i and PW. Distance is pretty much the same +-4-5m. The other clubs does played with a difference of 10m. Both clubs are the same length too.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 12:48 am

swine wrote:
Went to the range and tried both 9i and PW. Distance is pretty much the same +-4-5m. The other clubs does played with a difference of 10m. Both clubs are the same length too.

My PW is shorter than my 9i barely by 1/2 inch only.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 9:43 am

Mine is exactly the same length which is why I wanted to take one out from my bag. But can't decide which one. Guys, 9i or pw to be left out -which one will you leave at home?
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 9:57 am

swine, mind sharing what set are you using?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Kamen,
TM burner 08. R flex tru temper steel. Bought new in 2008.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 10:40 am

swine wrote:
Hi Kamen,
Oh true temper, you try your friend's club? is it also the same distance? if it's not then sorry to said that, true temper is too stiff for u.
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 10:50 am

swine wrote:
Hi Kamen,

Hi! TM... in that case you should consider recheckIing the lofts as a bro had suggested earlier.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
eladnonnac
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Sometimes it depends when you are judging this distance. If you are basing it on range conditions with range balls, I don't think it is a fair analysis. Perhaps you'd want to try it at a Par3 course and see if the distance is still the same.

I am pretty consistent with my irons, but I see quite a variance from one range to another for distances of my clubs. I don't get upset that I am 10m shorter at one range compared to another, but I use my range practice to practice my tempo and ball flight.

But I do head to Par 3 courses regularly just to make sure I am still consistent with my iron distances. Nothing beats real balls and real turf!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:21 pm

eladnonnac wrote:
Sometimes it depends when you are judging this distance. If you are basing it on range conditions with range balls, I don't think it is a fair analysis. Perhaps you'd want to try it at a Par3 course and see if the distance is still the same.

I am pretty consistent with my irons, but I see quite a variance from one range to another for distances of my clubs. I don't get upset that I am 10m shorter at one range compared to another, but I use my range practice to practice my tempo and ball flight.

...... Nothing beats real balls and real turf!

I agree with your comments ... cheers
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Thank you all once again!
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 4:25 pm

swine wrote:
Mine is exactly the same length which is why I wanted to take one out from my bag. But can't decide which one. Guys, 9i or pw to be left out -which one will you leave at home?

Shaft length should not be the same. QC problem with Taylormade. Go and have it cut to the right length.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge   Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Same Distance with 9 iron and Pitching wedge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next