Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge

Go down 
+9
asahi
slinger
Tokkokking
bkll
Vinny
9points
Quest
TigaWood
tksoh
13 posters
AuthorMessage
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge Empty
PostSubject: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:00 am

Need some advise on the setup. I am still struggling to hit below 100

Driver (10.5) ^ 190-200
4wood (17)^ 170
Hybrid (23)^ 150
5 iron ( 27)^ 140
6- 9 ^ 100 - 130
PW (48) ^ 70-90
Gw( 52) ^ 60-70
SW(56) ^ 40-60
LW(60)
Putter

I used to have a 4hybrid(25) but decided to drop that as it is abt same as my 5i.

As you can see, I am not a strong hitter and I not very confident with the 4wood at times and only use it for long par3 or wide fairway par5.

I wonder what club should I now add to fill up the 14th club. I hv ideas of getting a strong 3wood (13-14) or switch to 3/5 wood (15/19) or a get 54 wedge/bend other wedge (but can't figure out the gap/bounce configuration)

All kind of advise is most appreciated! Tks

Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:15 am

It's your short game, not your set set-up.
A trip to the coach will be helpful too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:21 am

TigaWood wrote:

Oops, I am not blaming my setup for my bad scores and I am clear that I need improve my swing and short game( 3 puts is often). . Just like to seek advise on setup of clubs since there is a empty slot and I don't intend to fill it up with a umbrella, haha
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:31 am

tksoh wrote:
TigaWood wrote:

Oops, I am not blaming my setup for my bad scores and I am clear that I need improve my swing and short game( 3 puts is often). . Just like to seek advise on setup of clubs since there is a empty slot and I don't intend to fill it up with a umbrella, haha

Oops sorry, nevertheless when your game is stable you will have a better idea on your club selection.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:32 am

Think there's no need to specifically fill up 14 clubs in the bag. The gaps look fine to me. Better to save the money & focus on improving the strokes. Less mind games to play with on which club to use. Best to just keep it simple. I only have 12 clubs in my bag and I don't have any desire to add anymore.

In any case, the strong 3wd is not an easy club to use. You are already not too confident with the 4wd, so better steer clear.
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:37 am

tksoh wrote:

Driver (10.5) ^ 190-200
4wood (17)^ 170
Hybrid (23)^ 150
5 iron ( 27)^ 140
6- 9 ^ 100 - 130
PW (48) ^ 70-90
Gw( 52) ^ 60-70
SW(56) ^ 40-60
LW(60)
Putter

I used to have a 4hybrid(25) but decided to drop that as it is abt same as my 5i.

As you can see, I am not a strong hitter and I not very confident with the 4wood at times and only use it for long par3 or wide fairway par5.

I wonder what club should I now add to fill up the 14th club. I hv ideas of getting a strong 3wood (13-14) or switch to 3/5 wood (15/19) or a get 54 wedge/bend other wedge (but can't figure out the gap/bounce configuration)

Hi tksoh,

IMHO, there's no need for you to add anything in particular for this stage. Work on improving your ball striking consistency and shortgame (like what tigawood has mentioned). When you have a more consistent ball striking, you will be more precise with the distance each club can cover. From there, you will get a better idea on where the gap to cover and what to cover it with.

Just my 2cents, hope it helps you in someway or another Smile

Happy Golfing !!

Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:27 am

9points wrote:
tksoh wrote:

Driver (10.5) ^ 190-200
4wood (17)^ 170
Hybrid (23)^ 150
5 iron ( 27)^ 140
6- 9 ^ 100 - 130
PW (48) ^ 70-90
Gw( 52) ^ 60-70
SW(56) ^ 40-60
LW(60)
Putter

Hi tksoh,

IMHO, there's no need for you to add anything in particular for this stage. Work on improving your ball striking consistency and shortgame (like what tigawood has mentioned). When you have a more consistent ball striking, you will be more precise with the distance each club can cover. From there, you will get a better idea on where the gap to cover and what to cover it with.

Just my 2cents, hope it helps you in someway or another Smile

Happy Golfing !!

Agreed ~ very often it's the Indian not the Arrow...... Get your ball striking & distance comfort zone sorted out and you will know the gaps to pluck

Talk about shaving strokes, the only way to go is to grind out your short game & putting, because these are the 2 areas that chalk up strokes in a round of 18 holes.

Hope you find the above informative........ Beer
Back to top Go down
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:33 am

Quest wrote:

In any case, the strong 3wd is not an easy club to use. You are already not too confident with the 4wd, so better steer clear.

Smile I was thinking the strong 3 wood as a secondary driver on days where the driver is not working ( haha blaming the equipment again)

Somehow I know it is my swing that is the problem , but every time see golf sales, always itchy to find excuses to buy new "weapon"

Thanks for all the advice . Happy golfing to all!
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:40 am

Stick with the 4wd. The additional 10-20m is never guaranteed with the strong 3wd. You'll need swing speed to launch the club, or else the additional distance that you hoped for may not materialise.

Golf is about confidence. Even with the club in hand, if no confidence, the end result may be more disastrous. So gain confidence with the 4wd first. It's a shorter shaft & higher loft, mistakes will not turn out as bad as a strong 3wd.
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:42 am

tksoh wrote:
Quest wrote:

Smile I was thinking the strong 3 wood as a secondary driver on days where the driver is not working ( haha blaming the equipment again)

Somehow I know it is my swing that is the problem , but every time see golf sales, always itchy to find excuses to buy new "weapon"

Thanks for all the advice . Happy golfing to all!

Did it occur to you that with a change in equipment it would equate to swing & yardage adjustments ~ how many times are we going to tweak our game because of new equipment.......?? Fair and well if the new toy suits us, what would happen if it did not......?? scratch
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:46 am

Sometimes, less is more.
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi bro,

Stick to your current set up. I hv been playing 110 for abt the past 10 games over 6 mths.
My problem is one of tinkering with my equipment...

Struck me when playing with friends I typically use 2 or 3 clubs more for similar distance. E.g. (Nsrcc par 3) my friends use their 55 or 51 deg but I use 8/9 iron for hole 1, hole 2, most of them use their wedges still but I fish out my 7 etc.

A month ago, i Decided to abandon my woods, hybrids and drivers from my bag and stuck to wedges to 6 iron to improve my ball striking. Went for coaching and practiced at par threes only. Amazed with how I can hit my irons further now (still sometimes using 1 club more than my friends).

Looking forward to my proper games (2 x 9 hole this week and 2 x 18 next week) and hopefully can break 110 in allof them.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 3:45 pm

bro....

it will not help much adding any club to your bag....

breaking 100 is abt

1) course management
2) dun let penalties chalked up your score

if u play bogey every hole...its 90
why dun u plan each hole with bogey in mind...

with that, u can take most hazards out of play, no bunkers, water, OB etc.....

i rather u stick with the 4w as your secondary driver, in fact i prefer u tee-off with 4w or hybrid than driver if u decide to go for bogey every hole....

golf is progressive.... one club at a time, the driver is not a friendly club to hit

once u have the confidence with the 4w n hybrid.... then look at the driver

clearly u need to see what your objectives are..... hit below 100 or just cheong

if wanna break 100.....then play smart

Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Wow.....full of wisdom!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Lots of time and sales for equipment.....get swing and scoring right first.

Me also not buying now.......well, at least for 2 months plus already.....
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:29 pm

take out the 60deg (only my opinion) ..

my fitter / coach advised / warned me NOT to use my 58deg unless no choice.. anything short distance use 9/PW/52

i itchy hand take out my 58 sometimes ended up double bogeying the hole

I used to have your distance... abt 200m drive. every 2nd shot i always get off the buggy first and hit

so i trained on my 3w and hybrid to make sure i get it straight or miss left. take the right side out of play ....

play 3 on 2 putts for par 4s, 4 on 2 putts for par 5s and 2 on 2 putts for par 3s

Sure can go below 100 after a while..

then its how to go below 95 consistently

Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm

asahi wrote:
Lots of time and sales for equipment.....get swing and scoring right first.

Me also not buying now.......well, at least for 2 months plus already.....

I will only consider buying if review of equipment is friendly to hit.. i will only buy if I dont have to pay from my own pocket. Smile

Aiming the XHot FW Smile
Back to top Go down
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks, guys for the sound advice ... I think I will only "reward" myself with new equipment when i do go <100 Smile
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:50 pm

slinger wrote:
bro....

golf is progressive.... one club at a time, the driver is not a friendly club to hit

Bro slinger,

strangly my driver is more consistent than all my other club in my bag (except maybe sometimes putter).

but i don't practice driver at the range at all. all my range practice goes to 7i, 8i & 9i only. occasionally some short game. but still my biggest problem is with my 2nd shot onwards ...

any tips?

ps, sorry TS for hijacking your thread Razz
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:51 pm

tksoh wrote:
Thanks, guys for the sound advice ... I think I will only "reward" myself with new equipment when i do go <100 Smile
Well u may not know...maybe a new equipment, you'll play under 100? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm

enwee wrote:
tksoh wrote:
Well u may not know...maybe a new equipment, you'll play under 100? Twisted Evil

Dont tempt me!.... I had wanted to fill up the 14th slot with that "excuse"... haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:21 pm

bro tksoh, care to share what set are you currently using?
Back to top Go down
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:42 pm

s-killer wrote:
bro tksoh, care to share what set are you currently using?

updated my signature with my equipment. Very Happy

Comments are most welcome Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge   Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fairway wood or hybrid or wedge
Page 1 of 1