Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

64* or 3i

Go down 
+10
hkhamateur
zhenxua
Vinny
yanhaotiong
Turbo
shamusan
simoner
joshyo
kyleyann
MLP
14 posters
AuthorMessage
MLP
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MLP

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Just wanted to ask for your opinions about which of the above cubs int e title should end my in my bag. I know what you're thinking, "neither, get a 52*" no thanks, I don't have any issue with that huge gap from p to 56 because I simply don't like to hit full shots with the wedges, just pitches. So. My dilemma is weather to include a lob wedge or a 3i. I have a 4i and a hybrid. The 4i goes around 200m -/+ and the hybrid around 220m. I feel that there isn't a need for a 3i as the chances of me needing to fly balls to the green from that distance is pretty low unless I tee with it, but still it's a nice club to have for sneaking under the wind. The other option, a lob wedge of 64*. Hope much use is it really since a 60* well opened up does almost everything from lob shots to getting out of the bunkers at marina bay. Would a 64* be far too much loft? And also, does it work well with pitches. My concern is that the ball would take so much of my effort to fly it to the pin from a 50m range.

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions
Marcus(:
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:42 pm

In my humble opinion, I would still recommend a 52* wedge so that I can take a full swing and get some spin for that awkard distance. Sometimes, not all greens are ideally approached with a half-swing pitch shot bump and run, especially those elevated greens with pins at the front.

But if you have to choose between a 3i or a 64* wedge, I guess a 64* wedge would have a higher chance of seeing action rather than a 3i in my usual round of golf. Just my humble opinion Marcus.
Back to top Go down
MLP
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MLP

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for your valuable opinion(: but I'd just like to comment on and "promote" the DG spinner shafts I'm currently using. They really do work. Even on pitch shots then put enough spin on the ball that there is minimal rollout, sometimes even backspin.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:53 pm

If it was my set, i'd put in a hand wedge.

Jokes aside, 3i makes for a lower, further punch from under trees. That gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:56 pm

MLP wrote:
Thanks for your valuable opinion(: but I'd just like to comment on and "promote" the DG spinner shafts I'm currently using. They really do work. Even on pitch shots then put enough spin on the ball that there is minimal rollout, sometimes even backspin.

I have them on on my 52 and 58 wedges, but my PW is on the same shaft like the rest of my irons.
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 7:22 am

Bro, I'll go with a wedge but will seek to even out the loft so that I have all the approach distances covered.

I used to carry a 45*PW, 54*SW and 60*LW. After talking to my coach, decided to removed the 54* and 80* in favour of a 51*AW and 58*SW/LW. I think I have my distances better covered with a same swing.

There's no point of carrying a 3i since your hybrid already hammering 220m.

My few cents worth.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:11 am

from your distances, i'd say that you are either a very low handicapper if not a pro already and so i'd like to ask the loft of your hybrid before offering my opinion...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 11:38 am

MLP, if your 4i can get you to 200m, tbh, not many GRian are qualified to give you sound advice ... Like what Sham has said, you must be a very low handicapper ... However, if you wanna listen to a somewhat less superior golfer then you, like myself, I think you would need the wedge more often than the 3i in most cases unless you are playing in the professional level ...

BTW, re the pic in your avatar - Very nice textbook single-plane at-the-top-of-the swing pose!
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:28 pm

well, personally, i think it would depend on your short game prowess... phil mickelson uses a 56, 60, 62 wedge set with no 3i while tiger woods uses a 56, 60 wedge set up with a 3i and occasionally 2i
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:06 pm

shamusan wrote:
from your distances, i'd say that you are either a very low handicapper if not a pro already and so i'd like to ask the loft of your hybrid before offering my opinion...

+1

With that distance you are hitting a good 20 yards further than tiger's average 4i.

I think a LL wedge is just like any L wedge. If you are not able to play a variety of shots I don't see how a LL wedge will help.
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:55 pm

shamusan wrote:

Agree with Sham. In fact, you've answered your question in your 1st post. The very fact that you're considering using the 3i to get the ball under the wind indicates your proficiency in shot shaping & making to a certain extent......

My next question would be, why do you not consider using your 5i and down to cover your wedge distances ~ there's no hard & fast rule in club selection when green approach is concerned? Golf is all about imagination & visualization (taking into consideration how the course sets up & playing weather condition)......

Most pros in the circuit shun any wedge with a loft more than 58* less the more talented ones like Phil Mickelson (which there aren't many out there)...... I reckon you would be better off investing your time, $$ & energy at the range perfecting short game techniques.

Golf already is a complex game, why complicate matters further..... My 5 cents Peace
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:05 pm

If you can play good golf with only 13 clubs in your bag, so be it

dun have to be so anal to fill up the bag
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Vinny wrote:
shamusan wrote:

Agree with Sham. In fact, you've answered your question in your 1st post. The very fact that you're considering using the 3i to get the ball under the wind indicates your proficiency in shot shaping & making to a certain extent......

My next question would be, why do you not consider using your 5i and down to cover your wedge distances ~ there's no hard & fast rule in club selection when green approach is concerned? Golf is all about imagination & visualization (taking into consideration how the course sets up & playing weather condition)......

Most pros in the circuit shun any wedge with a loft more than 58* less the more talented ones like Phil Mickelson (which there aren't many out there)...... I reckon you would be better off investing your time, $$ & energy at the range perfecting short game techniques.

Golf already is a complex game, why complicate matters further..... My 5 cents Peace

Personally, I second tat. Wink
+1
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 6:15 pm

This decision should be personal. If you can handle the 3i then go with it. If you can't handle it it's best to leave it out of the bag.

For me I cannot handle it, so it's in the storeroom.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Vinny wrote:

when u have a drop-dead solid looking wife...

why complicate things with a mistress....

What a Face
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 8:52 pm

zhenxua wrote:

from the up n coming NSRCC Intermediate Champion...

SWEE.....
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 11:33 pm

slinger wrote:
zhenxua wrote:

from the up n coming NSRCC Intermediate Champion...

SWEE.....

im not so ambitious, i only aim for novice cup What a Face
Back to top Go down
mtheseira
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 9:44 pm

I used to have a 64 but rarely hit it, better to replace with a hybrid
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 11:18 pm

i guess u may not need any of them... if u are using a 60 wedge, not sure if u will need a 64... if u are ok with taking 3/4 or half swing, your current clubs should be enough
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

64* or 3i Empty
PostSubject: Re: 64* or 3i   64* or 3i I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

64* or 3i
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Golf Equipment-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.