Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trouble with my woods!

Go down 
+20
DLWL
neutralgolfer
jloo61
IGT
Begbie
TDO
drawbias
Derek
zenselv
pocketace
joshyo
goh.YF.52
maslie
kenneth18
raylowwl
KCL
chien
renode
acidic88
jason.koh.54966
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

Trouble with my woods! Empty
PostSubject: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 11:45 am

Having problem with my 5FW, inconsistent hitting, just couldn't get the swing right...some said keep the handle straight, some said slight leaning of the handle to the left (kind of liked hitting irons), some said stand taller..etc

Then some said it should be hitting down using FW, some said just sweep it?????Now I am really confused!! Shocked Shocked

Anyone can share their experiences getting to hit the FW better..... Smile
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 11:53 am

I driver/woods/hybrids swing is kind of "flatter" swing plane and sweep. Irons will be steep, hitting down on the ball.
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Stand taller and be confident of sweeping the ball off
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Pay $70 for a lesson with a proper coach Jason.. It's worth every cent, rather than listening to all your friends, trying all sorts and getting confused and frustrated...

cheers

Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Try this. I found this helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq5gzmIeRQ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Back to top Go down
raylowwl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I also having same problem.....

At 1st my 5 woods can go 170-180m better than my driver. But now since I corrected my driver, my woods cannot hit....but at least some consolation from yesterday game at puteri, my woods starting to work....now I'm crossing my fingers....

Anyone can share experience.....Thanks a lot
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Tink finding a proper coach will be able to solve yr problem. As different people may have different techniques n equipment, which may not be applicable to u.
Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
maslie

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi jas, since you asking for anyone, I would like to share what I know, but I am a no pro.
First of all it's true you won't get your answer here, seeing coach is your best path by any chance.
But by understanding your club abit perhaps you could get little help with some basics here,
- Setup position, it's dedicated to it's club design, if you play an offset wood than it is naturally soled with shaft further forward then you should grip it as you said it "lean the handle to the left". If you have no offset wood than you should grip "the handle straight".

- By preffered shot, wood's could be play with either ways to get a shot objective, ball forward will go higher trajectory land soft on the green and couple inches back at address will deloft the club and shot go lower. A deep face wood is work easier for me too.

- By the slope on course, unless we are a pro who know to shape shot really well, we are force to play with the slope. Ball above the feet need to address it and grip "the handle straight" + adjust the lenght accordingly until you see no toe up and expect ball bit fly to left; ball below feet the shaft need to "lean the handle to the left" vice versa.

Yet to get it all in correct path you need to go club fitter and get correct lenght/lie and spec, with wrong lenght alone it will be hard to deloft the club without closing the face angle. It's so important, so get your wood fitted before seeking coach and you'll be reward with paying shorter lesson. Just IMHO bro.....so you don't need to stand taller too....happy golfing![left]
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 pm

maslie wrote:
Hi jas, since you asking for anyone, I would like to share what I know, but I am a no pro.
First of all it's true you won't get your answer here, seeing coach is your best path by any chance.
But by understanding your club abit perhaps you could get little help with some basics here,
- Setup position, it's dedicated to it's club design, if you play an offset wood than it is naturally soled with shaft further forward then you should grip it as you said it "lean the handle to the left". If you have no offset wood than you should grip "the handle straight".

- By preffered shot, wood's could be play with either ways to get a shot objective, ball forward will go higher trajectory land soft on the green and couple inches back at address will deloft the club and shot go lower. A deep face wood is work easier for me too.

- By the slope on course, unless we are a pro who know to shape shot really well, we are force to play with the slope. Ball above the feet need to address it and grip "the handle straight" + adjust the lenght accordingly until you see no toe up and expect ball bit fly to left; ball below feet the shaft need to "lean the handle to the left" vice versa.

Yet to get it all in correct path you need to go club fitter and get correct lenght/lie and spec, with wrong lenght alone it will be hard to deloft the club without closing the face angle. It's so important, so get your wood fitted before seeking coach and you'll be reward with paying shorter lesson. Just IMHO bro.....so you don't need to stand taller too....happy golfing![left]

+1

You sure you not pro? Great advice I think...

Must find you for golf when in Surabaya.... cheers

Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Thks for all the advises, greatly appreciated. I'm with a coach as I'm a newbie taking my PC soon. In between the lessons, I was practising on my own at driving range. I can hit my 7i and 5H pretty ok but 5W really stress me out!....Most of the time, my 5W can only reached 120-130m and flight was low! But I can hit 7i close to the 150m board at the range.
Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
maslie

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Chien...welcome you in Surabaya anytime. Contact me when you are in town, we can have game along with our fellow bro slicer51 too. Very Happy
Jason, if you can hit #7 150m and pretty ok as you said than I encourage you to get fit your 5w only first and see what you can gain from it and work back with your coach. Your body still fresh and haven't develop ill swing. The dangerous working yourself is you start making compensate to your swing, tweaking unnecessary moves into result you want to believe.
Golf only can be learn by playing it, practice range only to make it permanent. Perhaps my advice is to early for you but just bear in mind Smile

Enjoy your ride on every phase and have a good weekend. Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 9:24 pm

It is not about your swing sometimes. Recently bought the S3 pro irons with the NSPRO 950GH S, in most people they would think that a stiffer shaft would be much harder to hit especially in long irons, even to me. Surprisingly, my S3 4iron allow me to strike it more consistently and launch like my hybrids, even my "soft" hybrids are not even close to its consistenancy. Depends on whats your 5wood, if you are a guy with flat swing which address closer to the ground, most probably your wood is slight leaning towards the heel of the club. If you are using those woods that are wide and shallow like the Maruman i4000X shuttle, off the deck will be a killer.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 7:15 pm

maslie wrote:
Hi Chien...welcome you in Surabaya anytime. Contact me when you are in town, we can have game along with our fellow bro slicer51 too. Very Happy
Jason, if you can hit #7 150m and pretty ok as you said than I encourage you to get fit your 5w only first and see what you can gain from it and work back with your coach. Your body still fresh and haven't develop ill swing. The dangerous working yourself is you start making compensate to your swing, tweaking unnecessary moves into result you want to believe.
Golf only can be learn by playing it, practice range only to make it permanent. Perhaps my advice is to early for you but just bear in mind Smile

Enjoy your ride on every phase and have a good weekend. Cheers Jump

Noted, bro, thks cheers
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 pm

I play with a flat swing for woods. No problem with my maruman i4000x. Incidently same type of swing and same eq. I feel its more about having a stable base for me. I can launch my 5w easily but if my mind is not there that day, then everything goes off.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 am

jason.koh.54966 wrote:
Thks for all the advises, greatly appreciated. I'm with a coach as I'm a newbie taking my PC soon. In between the lessons, I was practising on my own at driving range. I can hit my 7i and 5H pretty ok but 5W really stress me out!....Most of the time, my 5W can only reached 120-130m and flight was low! But I can hit 7i close to the 150m board at the range.

Mate, no disrespect but at this infant stage of your golf journey, just enjoy the golf lessons and focus on grooving in a good swing.
Hitting a fw off the deck is not something most beginners can do in their first set of golf lessons.
I was playing many years and only managed to hit my fw only in recent years. So, take heart. As the club gets longer, it gets more tricky and any compensating moves gets your swing flaws magnified multifold.
Take the positives like being able to hit decent shots with 7i and 5hybrid.
Some will recommend you to even steer clear from using driver. Just tee off with 3w if you get to play on course.
Golf is a long term commitment. Takes years to develop a swing. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
zenselv
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
zenselv

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 am

I'm a newbie too..my coach always taught me "keep your body straight even after launching your balls!!"
Keep your hand straight, body straight.. and he was doing it with left foot standing, right foot behind. His balls hit 180-200m, no reason for me not to believe him.
Took me sometimes to adapt to it.. and tbh.. it's more consistent with my irons now..
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 8:19 am

pocketace wrote:
jason.koh.54966 wrote:

Mate, no disrespect but at this infant stage of your golf journey, just enjoy the golf lessons and focus on grooving in a good swing.
Hitting a fw off the deck is not something most beginners can do in their first set of golf lessons.
I was playing many years and only managed to hit my fw only in recent years. So, take heart. As the club gets longer, it gets more tricky and any compensating moves gets your swing flaws magnified multifold.
Take the positives like being able to hit decent shots with 7i and 5hybrid.
Some will recommend you to even steer clear from using driver. Just tee off with 3w if you get to play on course.
Golf is a long term commitment. Takes years to develop a swing. Have fun!

Not sure why some golfers would say it takes many years for swing to groove in. Swing within your athletic abilities ,swing plane and play your natural ball flight shouldn't be too hard.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Young man ... you are 18 ... I am assuming that you picked up the game at an even younger age

It is a completely different scenario picking up the game 20 years (or more) later

Physically, even late 20s is very different from late teens, the strength might still be there (or more) but unless specific effort is made, flexibility has begun to deteriorate.

Have some empathy (sympathy) for the uncles and aunties in the forum ok?

Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
drawbias

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:41 pm

He can challenge some uncles here ..... banker player / vegas / klj ..... all kind of stakes he can ask for .........
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm

I half recall his handicap is in the 11-12 range ... looks like he should be giving the 18 hcap uncles 3-3 ...

Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
drawbias

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:02 pm

many ksls 18 hcap uncles here and they are very willing to golf with 11-12 hcap with the right strokes and stakes ......
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I started golf late, at age 40. So is it any regret that I started late? Definitely no. I somewhat enjoy every moment of it, whacking the small little dimpled ball around that dared me to hit it sitting still.

Back to the topic of hitting woods, I am actually quite comfortable with my 3w & 5w, fortunately. Of course there will be the occasional tops and duffs due to old bones playing tricks but all in all, I am quite comfortable with fairway woods. Smile
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Chill fellas. It could be an innocent comment
Different people has different abilities. For some it's easy (got time, got talent, got money for equipment, coaching, and games) for others a bit harder loh
Maybe I just fall into the latter category! Hahaha

Back to topic, to thread starter. Are you the former or latter? Come to the acceptance and you will be able to hit fw (eventually)
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 pm

pocketace wrote:
Chill fellas. It could be an innocent comment
Different people has different abilities. For some it's easy (got time, got talent, got money for equipment, coaching, and games) for others a bit harder loh
Maybe I just fall into the latter category! Hahaha

Back to topic, to thread starter. Are you the former or latter? Come to the acceptance and you will be able to hit fw (eventually)

+1.. Fair comment.
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Like! Better late than never! Smile

TDO wrote:
I started golf late, at age 40. So is it any regret that I started late? Definitely no. I somewhat enjoy every moment of it, whacking the small little dimpled ball around that dared me to hit it sitting still.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with my woods!   Trouble with my woods! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trouble with my woods!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next